Ophthalmologist (eyes)

3.0

Very frustrating - told to see another doctor. Coo Coo. show details Very frustrating - told to see another doctor. Coo Coo.
by Ginger Vickers on Jul 5th, 2015

I really hate to give someone a bad review. In fact, this is the first time I had to. This doctor needs to be given bad review and I will explain what all I went through because of his lack of help. I had eye lid surgery 8 days later, had the sutures taken out, within a few days, I started having stabbing pains in my left eye, left eye weak and wanting to close, straining to stay open, basically couldnt' use my left eye, mor than an hr a day. I also had bad headaches over left eye and back of head. Definitely from the eye straining. I rarely get a headache and these were not the norm. He took up appropriate time with me, looked in my eye, dilated my eye, looked some more and said, it's just dry, keep using your eye ointment he had prescribed months before. {The reason I made the emergency work in appointment was to get some relief from the left eye pains, and headache from it. Nothing I was using was working. I made it as clear as possible. And he said, it's just dry eye, use what your using, and I said, it's not working, it's only getting worse, that's why I'm here. He said, it's dry eye, the ointment should work over time. (after hearing him say that, I thought this is RIDICULIOUS). I could tell, I was going to have to leave and see a real doctor. But I said, what about the headache, well, that must be sinuses or allergies, I said, I have never had any problems with sinuses or allergies, it's from the surgery. He said, well, see your primary doctor. So I paid him for absolutely nothing. Left there feeling like the biggest waste of my time and money EVER. I went to primary doctor, told him what Dr. Alabata has said to see primary doctor. My primary doctor laughed and said, we didn't operate on you, he did. Why did he tell you to come to me? So, he sends me to another eye optomologist, I still did not get any medicine for the throbbing eye pain or the ongoing headaches, (from the left eye). Had to wait 5 days for appt. with another Optalmologist, waited almost 2 hrs. in waiting room, saw him, he said I don't see any dry eye, and asked me tons of questions did the through eye exam. I COULD NOT see good out of the left eye either. He said, I will prescribe you some eye drops, but nothing for the headache. If you would have came to me to do your eye surgery in first place, I could have helped you. If I wasn't in enough agonizing pain before, I certainly am right now. 3 doctors, with wall of degrees, and can not help my eye or headache relief. I wasn't asking for them to donate me one of their kidneys. I was so mad head and eye just severe pains by this time. I'm in disbelief and angry that these are professionals who WILL NOT HELP ME. I have been to my family doctor maybe 6 times in 15 years for colds, or sore throat. Never for a headache or eye pain. He did not help me either, always sending people to more doctors, like a yo yo, a circus of bs. Still no help, other than the drops the last optalmologist wrote for me. Of course, I had to listen to him lecture about his specialties, and his degrees, and that I should have used someone like him, instead of who I used, because he was tired of cleaning up other eye surgeons messes. I really do not understand what is going on here. It's stressful, and just WRONG, to be paying high dollar doctor appointments and the doctors just keep sending me to a different doctor. All Dr. Alabata had to do was change the eye medicine and write or call in a headache pain medication. It's not really that hard, IS IT ??? My eye surgery was performed there, not at the primary doctors office nor was it done by another eye surgeon in a different location. This has stressed me out and I hope to God this doesn't happen to anyone else. Because your in pain when you go to a doctor in the f first place. Most of the time, you only need to go see one doctor. Unless you have something out of their range of expertise. Not get sent to 3 total, to get the run around from doctor to doctor. Good luck using this doctor. Maybe he will see this and realized he messed up by doing nothing. AS far as the headache, I had to humiliate myself further and I called my aunt who is a physician in another state, who FedX me some pain medication for the headaches, which, thank God for her, my bad headaches were gone within 4 hours. It's really a horrible experience, and to think of it, my little dog gets way better medical treatment from a local vet. Excellent medical care, same day X-rays, same day ultrasounds, or surgery SAME DAY. For animals. Even when they are busy or not. They work it all in. Not medical doctors today in FLORIDA. THERE HAS TO BE SOME GREAT DOCTORS WHO ARE THROUGHLY EDUCATED AND KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE AND WHAT YOU NEED AND THEY DO IT. BUT I HAVENT SEEN THEM. NOT WHERE WE LIVE. I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAS HAPPENED HERE, BUT IT HAS BECOME A TERRIBLE NIGHTMARE. SCARED TO DEATH IF ANY OF US END UP IN A BAD WRECK OR GET CANCER, WHAT THEN? GET SENT TO DOCTOR TO DOCTOR, TO DOCTOR. PATHETIC. SERIOUSLY.

Would highly recommend show details Would highly recommend
Sep 11th, 2012

Great doctor with superior diagnostic skills. Very good bedside manner,and sense of humor!

Jun 22nd, 2012

we does not famialiar himself with his patient before he ses them. He have always waited at least a hr after his apt. We have been there for three hrs even. My 10 yr old just recently had eye muscle surgery,we were not given all the info,I received the info after the fact when i looked it up on line bc the dr was so passive about it and said he would be in no pain ect. my son was in recovery for 3 hrs,three days later has not been able to open his eye,dr never called to check on him. his follow up in next Thrus and his surgery was this wed. Before the surgery the Dr even asked me if my son had ever had eye surgery before. His office did not call me for weeks ,since calling me and telling me the surgery date. There was no follow up

Mar 2nd, 2012

I would recommend this doctor,, but, getting and being able to keep appointments is not good. They call you back to re-schedule way too often. That is my experience.

Very Special Kind of Doctor show details Very Special Kind of Doctor
by Jeanne Parsons on Sep 2nd, 2010

Dr Phil alabata is a very special kind of doctor. The Destin area is very lucky to have him on staff in the area. He is both caring for his patients, and understanding of their needs both physically and mentally. I was very nervous about the procedure that he recommended, but his staff and Dr Alabata walked me through ever phase and answered all of my questions perfectly. If you need any kind of eye care he is the man to see.