Pediatric / Adolescent Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist

2.0

Some ratings provided by CitySearch.
Out-of-date skills, Ineffective doctor show details Out-of-date skills, Ineffective doctor
by Brentwood Family on Dec 14th, 2014

Dr. Shain spent most of our session times reciting success stories of other patients rather than asking questions or providing guidance to us (and our son). He misdiagnosed a medical condition (depression) as being ADD, then insisted we follow a series of medications for our son in extremely high amounts before we could expect any help with therapeutic counseling sessions. Three months of no improvement under Dr. Shain's care drove us to seek accurate, professional help from other doctors in the area. Unless you like to hear textbook lectures and self-proclaimed success stories from the past, avoid wasting your time in the office of Dr. Philip Shain of Concord. I wish we sought another doctor sooner!

Incompetent show details Incompetent
Sep 22nd, 2013

I struggled with bipolar issues for years and went to see this doctor for years and never got better. He only made me worse. I sought out another doctor, found the right one and am doing exponentially better. I personally find Dr. Shain to be almost criminal for he is an awful doctor who shows little care in his patients. He only hurt me more, never healed me. Do not go to Dr. Shain. The only reason I continued with his services for so long is that he was covered by insurance. It is better to pay for a doctor who has the qualifications. I strongly recommend to whoever reads this to NOT have Dr. Shain as your psychiatrist.

Never returned call show details Never returned call
May 26th, 2012

Dr Shain never responded to an urgent call. 3 weeks later And 2 messages left. Nothing. Thanks

Feb 11th, 2011

Pompous and very poor patient relations.

A Livermore Family show details A Livermore Family
Dec 6th, 2010

Our 13 year old son has been a patient of Dr. Shain's since he was five years old. We believe that, because of Dr. Shain's expertise in the areas of Early Onset Bipolar Disorder and psychopharmacology, our son is alive and well and living with us. Dr. Shain has always been caring and concerned, not only about our son, but also about the effect his illness has on us a family unit and each of us individually. He has taught us parenting techniques that provide us with the best results in dealing with the difficult challenges we face at home with our son's behavior. I would not hesitate for a moment to refer other families to Dr. Shain. In fact, as the facilitator of a support group for parents of children with BP, I have referred many families to him. Thank you, Dr. Shain, for teaching us how to provide an environment that our son can flourish in.

Oct 30th, 2010

Our son has been a patient of Dr. Shain's for 9 years and we have been (and continue to be) totally satisfied with the care he has received from him. His passion for children and adolescents is evident in his manner and overall interactions. In addition, he has tremendous compassion for the parent/s of his patients and addresses the total family dynamic as part of his practice. We trust him completely and his wealth of psychopharmacologic knowledge has been extremely valuable over the years since our son's drug regimens needed frequent adjustments to address his issues. Dr. Shain has been very accommodating with appointment scheduling and responds to phone calls (or pages for urgent matters) in a timely manner. We recommend him without reservation.-- A Walnut Creek Family

Avoid show details Avoid
by sleepymom at Citysearch on Aug 26th, 2007 on citysearch.com

Shain doesn`t listen to parents, doesn`t return phone calls to other doctors, pharmacies, and parents.

Read Full Review at citysearch.com
by sleepy_mom on Aug 26th, 2007 on citysearch.com

Shain doesn't listen to parents, doesn't return phone calls to other doctors, pharmacies, and parents.

Read Full Review at citysearch.com