Dr. Philip Shain MD Patient Reviews

1.8

• Good
  • Bad

August 6th, 2016
awful, never go to this guy

January 7th, 2016
Beware of Dr. Shain. He can do more harm than good.
Dr. Philip Shain doesn't believe in any other kind of treatment (such as diet and supplements) other than increasing dosage of prescribed medication. Every visit, he would increase the dosage and doesn't listen to feedback about the observed side effects. He is very rude. He prescribes the maximum dose even to young children, particularly Abilify. Abilify can have serious side effects at high doses such as involuntary muscle movement and twitching and these side effects are irreversible. Beware of Dr. Shain.

December 14th, 2014
Out-of-date skills, Ineffective doctor
Dr. Shain spent most of our session times reciting success stories of other patients rather than asking questions or providing guidance to us (and our son). He misdiagnosed a medical condition (depression) as being ADD, then insisted we follow a series of medications for our son in extremely high amounts before we could expect any help with therapeutic counseling sessions. Three months of no improvement under Dr. Shain's care drove us to seek accurate, professional help from other doctors in the area. Unless you like to hear textbook lectures and self-proclaimed success stories from the past, avoid wasting your time in the office of Dr. Philip Shain of Concord. I wish we sought another doctor sooner!

September 22nd, 2013
Incompetent
I struggled with bipolar issues for years and went to see this doctor for years and never got better. He only made me worse. I sought out another doctor, found the right one and am doing exponentially better. I personally find Dr. Shain to be almost criminal for he is an awful doctor who shows little care in his patients. He only hurt me more, never healed me. Do not go to Dr. Shain. The only reason I continued with his services for so long is that he was covered by insurance. It is better to pay for a doctor who has the qualifications. I strongly recommend to whoever reads this to NOT have Dr. Shain as your psychiatrist.

May 26th, 2012
Never returned call
Dr Shain never responded to an urgent call. 3 weeks later And 2 messages left. Nothing. Thanks

February 11th, 2011
Pompous and very poor patient relations.

December 6th, 2010
A Livermore Family
Our 13 year old son has been a patient of Dr. Shain's since he was five years old. We believe that, because of Dr. Shain's expertise in the areas of Early Onset Bipolar Disorder and psychopharmacology, our son is alive and well and living with us. Dr. Shain has always been caring and concerned, not only about our son, but also about the effect his illness has on us a family unit and each of us individually. He has taught us parenting techniques that provide us with the best results in dealing with the difficult challenges we face at home with our son's behavior. I would not hesitate for a moment to refer other families to Dr. Shain. In fact, as the facilitator of a support group for parents of children with BP, I have referred many families to him. Thank you, Dr. Shain, for teaching us how to provide an environment that our son can flourish in.

December 22nd, 2015