Surgical Specialist, Colorectal Surgeon (colon & rectum)
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

|  Excellent, Compassionate Surgeon  |  show details
by Gina on Jan 20th, 2014

I have had the pleasure of having Dr. Pearson as my surgeon for the past year with two major surgeries. He has seen me through probably the worst times in my life and has drastically improved the quality of my life. I walked into his office a year ago at 27 with a history of well over 10 years of rectal prolapse and chronic constipation, and re-entered his office in September at 28 with an ominous diagnosis of global colonic inertia w/ need of a colectomy. He performed my first surgery (laparoscopic resection rectopexy) on 1/11/13. I had an extremely difficult time following this surgery, but he persisted in trying to get me the help I needed from various doctors he felt would be a good match for me and my situation. While his operation was successful, he suspected I had an underlying issue with irregular bowels, and referred me to a wonderful GI doctor at Bryn Mawr (Dr. McKenna). Unfortunately, due to my underlying issues, I relapsed with rectal prolapse in May, 5 months after his surgery. At this point, Dr. Pearson referred me to UPenn for further evaluation of pelvic floor issues as he felt that may have explained the relapse. I had a repeat open rectopexy performed there (I would have much rather had Dr. Pearson as my surgeon, but respected his referral, and indeed the referring surgeon was also good). Post-surgery was still difficult, and my intestinal problems continued. My GI doctor suspected global colonic inertia and slow transit constipation, which after a 4-day gastric emptying study, was found to be true, and he felt a total colectomy was my best bet at living a happier, healthier life. He discussed things with Dr. Pearson as I wanted him to be my surgeon, and Dr. Pearson immediately agreed to be on board. When I returned to Dr. Pearson in September, he was compassionate and understanding about my issue, and was completely willing to work with me. He helped me decide when would be the best time to have this surgery, as I am a graduate student, and from the time we met in September, up until my December 13 total colectomy surgery date, was completely supportive. Any questions I had, he willingly answered via email, and promptly at that. I felt completely confident that Dr. Pearson had my best interests at heart and sincerely cared. If he thought of something along the way (such as the need for uretal stents), he would contact me to discuss and address any concerns. Many doctors that I have seen, particularly in the last year with my difficulties, do not listen, brush you off, and would never take the time outside of their brief office visit with you to answer any and all questions you have, and address any lingering fears or concerns. Additionally, the manner that Dr. Pearson took with everything was both serious, but also allowed me to make light of the situation and be hopeful for a better future. I am now a little over a month post my total colectomy, and at 28, I feel my life has just taken a turn for the better. I feel like I can live again, feel better than I have in years, and am not sick everyday. While I may still have some unresolved issues that we are waiting to see what happens with, and know i am not completely out of the woods for an ilestomy later, I am thankful to have had such a wonderful surgeon, and feel confident knowing if there are lingering issues, i can turn to him for answers and guidance. I would highly recommend Dr. Pearson - he is phenomenal, will listen to you, and will really help you to understand your condition. His mannerisms make difficult diagnoses, times in your life, and fear of surgery seem like a bug bite compared to the reality of the situation. I have never met a doctor who seems more genuine and possessing such a true sense of care for his patients.

|  Mistreated  |  show details
by D.... on Sep 6th, 2013

I was referred to dr Pearson for treatment of hemorrhoids. I continue to experience alot of pain/discomfort(couple of months) as well as other complications from them. The dr would rather treat for smething else that is a non-issue and isnt the cause of my symptoms. Dr Pearson will not fully aknowledge nor properly assess my condition(hemorrhoids). He is ignoring my concerns even after several attempts of explanation. Now he isn't resonding to messages. I have been on hold for the past two days and have talked with the office.

|  show details
Feb 15th, 2013

He is a great doctor!

|  Fantastic experience  |  show details
Feb 3rd, 2013

Dr. Pearson has a terrific bedside manner, which was very comforting during a frightening period in my life. He took a great deal of time with me to be sure I understood my condition and the surgery. When I called his office with some additional questions prior to the surgery he called me back promptly, then gave me his cell phone number so I could reach him directly if I had any other questions. When Dr. Pearson called with the post-surgery pathology results, I think he was every bit as happy as I was to be able to give me good news. I felt like Dr. Pearson genuinely cared for my physical and emotional well-being throughout the process. I cannot recommend him more highly.

|  show details
May 6th, 2009

Terrific bedside manner - makes you feel at ease and doesn't rush you out the door.