Dr. Phillip Fleshner MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.9

September 4th, 2016
What a doc
Best doc i ever met

March 7th, 2016
I would highly recommend him to anyone.

September 28th, 2015
No one I would trust more.
My surgeon for colon cancer. He removed large, long term tumor, with best possible result, -- no need for chemo or radiation. Although he was fully booked he fit me into his schedule the morning of the day he was leaving on a long term vacation.

September 8th, 2014
Great Doctor
Has a virtually painless method of dealing with hemorrhoids. The shots he administers give great results very quickly. I highly recommend Dr Fleshner for any and all rectal procedures such as colonoscopy, hemorrhoids etc. He is the best. The staff is great too.

August 10th, 2014
Genius
Dr. Fleshner gave me my life back. Not only is he a genius at what he does but he is a confident as well. This not only made me feel safe but reassured me I was making the right decisions. I had severe Ulcerative Colitis when first meeting Dr. Fleshner. After meeting with him we decided removing my colon was the best option. I have had 2 of my 3 surgeries so far in order to receive my J Pouch. I couldn't be more happy. My life has already improved immensely. Dr. Fleshner always makes me laugh, makes me feel comfortable, answers all of my questions (and I always have a lot) and makes sure I have what I need. He is always on time which is very rare for a doctor! Not once have I waited for him. Even in the hospital every morning on his rounds he is always there at the same time! His staff are the sweetest. His personal nurse is so friendly and gentle. He came to the hospital after my second surgery to collect a sample and was so patient and kind to me. I feel like their office the one office I don't dread going too! Dr. Fleshner and his staff gets a thumbs up from me! Oh I should add in my scars are perfect! You can't get more perfect than these!!!

July 14th, 2013
Still bothered by this a decade later
Kind of dumb of us to review people that have all of our personal and medical info but I can't get over this guy and his staff. Here are some pointers for you; 1. Since he is not in network, make sure to get a rough estimate about future procedure. Happy to see a good doc out of network and pay for it, but being billed blindly is not smart as a patient. Do not schedule without this. You might be a little dazed when he takes his hand out of your rectum and not think clearly but don't schedule the surgery without getting something in writing. Good luck getting that by the way 2. Right when you are about to go in to surgery he may ask if a colleague can join and help/watch surgery. Sounds innocent but later you will see a $1500 charge for that person assisting. he does not tell you this ahead of time 3. The bill will be padded when you get it. The staff is expecting your call and they very ready and prepared to address angry patients. They will soon knock off 30%. But they hold their ground. They pad the bill, giving you concelation prize like they are doing you a favor, butt still make out like bandits He thinks he is a facial plastic surgeon and acts like the removal of hemorrhoids is a cosmetic procedure. I guess for a good number of patients in LA it is, but come on dude. You are a GI doc. Not our fault you chose this specialty. It's been over a decade but how they handled our situation just sucked. Even plastic surgeon quote you a fee before they stuff your chest with saline bags

August 7th, 2012
Not sure about him anymore
I've been a patient for years. Never complained, took up time and always gave blood for his research. Last time I was there have been feeling weak with bathroom issues around my condition. He was very dismissive. Walked out in a huff and told me to come back in 3 years. His nurse gave me some attidude on the way out. I was shocked. I'd been a patient for years. Not expecting hand holding, but a t least some regard for what I am physically experiencing. He didn't want to hear. I wish i had a doctor that actually has experienced this condition, that could understand and perhaps work on some resolution. Disappointed. For your $400.00 office visit, you get very little time. He could use some education on alternative medicine that might help his patients also.

June 28th, 2012
BEST DOCTOR IN THE WORLD!!!!
HE IS THE NICEST AND FUNNIEST GUY AND TOOK CARE OF ME EXACTLY THE WAY I WANTED IT! PEOPLE WHO DONT LIKE HIM HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT

June 25th, 2012
Don't know how anyone could rate this Doctor except excellent. made immediate diagnosis, handled my problem with great surgical and professional care. When i was concerned after the operation with an aspect which was not covered in our discussions, was very explanatory and was right! Would not hesitate to recommend at the highest level for this specialty, including colonoscopy and related rectal problems.

February 16th, 2012
Caution for J-pouchers
No doubt an excellent surgeon, however Dr. Fleshner performs the more mutilating of two techniques when doing an IPAA. It is only now, two years after surgery that I learned that he did a "handsewn mucosectomy," that is, he cut out my entire rectum and the top half of my anal canal. These tissues are nerve-rich and very important for continence. They used to be cut out for fear of cancer occurring in the area but it was found cancer also occurred with mucosectomies, and the functional outcomes for the patient are better when the tissues are left intact. The anal transition zone "samples" the stuff coming down and lets you know whether it is gas or stool. Missing it results in seepage. The "resting pressure" that holds on to stool when you are at rest is lowered, which results in night incontinence. Let alone the anal irritation from more frequent bowel movements and the pouch and its acid contents hanging that much closer to the exit. Anyways I would rather face a yearly cancer checkup than the certainty of night incontinence and discomfort. But I was never told there was an alternate procedure that preserved these tissues. It is"the double-stapled" technique, because closure is stapled rather than handsewn. Most surgeons changed over to it around 2000, but not Dr. Fleshner. In 2006 he wrote an article quoting a meta-analysis to conclude the operations were equal. But the authors of the meta-analysis came down on the side of the double-stapled technique. Look up any description of the surgery on Jpouch.org or The Ileonal Guide to IPAA (see especially surgeries Iv and v. "The pull-through is rarely done)" and you will see conserving a sliver of rectum and the anal canal is the norm. The mucosectomy happens to require more skill, which Dr. Fleshner as a high-volume surgeon and trained in the method has, but it is a poor trade for losing more of a bodily function than necessary. It is too bad I didn't read the descriptions before the surgery, but it wouldn't have helped. I had no idea which he was doing, and neither will you or even your gastroenterologist. So if you care about preserving your continence, speak to your surgeon before the operation and ask him to tell you which method he is using and why.

December 31st, 2011
Perfect in every way. Thank you for healing my problem GD Bless.

November 29th, 2011
ARROGANT@IMPATIENT
This doctor could not wait to get out of the office visit with me so he could move on to the next patient. I had a list of questions as I needed a very big colon surgery but he did not have the time to answer all of my questions.He did answer 4 or 5 of them. He never examined me except to look at my stomach. He does not take insurance so it is a $350 to $450 consult charge. Some consult, he stood over me and gave me very brief answers to my difficult questions. You can tell that he has a big ego and does not like to be 2nd guessed or challenged in any way.