Internists, Rheumatologist, Pediatric Specialist
1635 N George Mason Dr
Ste 220
Arlington, VA 22205
703-525-3069
Locations and availability (1)

2.5

|  patient  |  show details
by jean on May 6th, 2014

Dr. Kempf is a marginal rheumatologist. I had to go to two other doctors before being diagnosed. Now I can add unethical to his review. He charged me over $1000 without me okaying it. He did this because he makes more money doing infusions in the office than prescribing a $10 prescription. I always showed much concern about costs. He ran up a very large tab without letting me make a decision about treatment.

|  Great doctor!!  |  show details
by Sarah on Jul 13th, 2013

I was recently a new patient to this office due to having swollen and stiff knees, saw Dr.Kempf and instantly felt comfortable with him. Although it might be hard to get through on the phone sometimes, and the flow of patients in the office seems quite busy, the front staff was very friendly and helpful! would def.recommend to other patients.

|  Dr. Kempf  |  show details
May 6th, 2013

Dr. Kempf is wonderful, His front desk is a total different subject. They don't listen to the patients and just play around. It's like they are to relaxed

May 2nd, 2013

The staff is helpful and kind. Dr. Kempf is intimidating and unpleasant. He asks questions but doesn't have the patience to listen to your answers. He gave me instructions that sounded like a demand. He ignored the fact that I was not comfortable with his treatment plan.

|  Zero compassion  |  show details
May 4th, 2012

I have chronic pain & he did range of motion in a way that exacerbated everything. Instead of allowing me to move as best as I could, he forced my neck, arms & legs by moving them himself & pushing way past my comfort level to the point that I was in excruciating pain. He had poor bedside manner, was rude & condescending. After his brutal examination, he didn't even offer to move to let me sit in the only chair in the room that had a back on it.

|  There is no magic  |  show details
Sep 4th, 2011

Don't understand complaints. Dr. Kempf changed my life for the good by aggressively pointing me toward hip surgery. Also resolved nerve related sleep issues. He has a quiet demeanor that some may mistake for disinterest, but I have found him to be a good listener and always interested in what I am saying. Sometimes patients, me included, think a lot of small details are important whereas medical people hone in quickly on the key information. It sometimes feels abrupt or disinterested but they, and this doctor in particular, are trying to focus on the medically relevant information, which is not always what we think. He's a great doctor in my experience.

|  Kempf is Great!!!  |  show details
Jul 21st, 2011

Dr. Kempf is a great physician. He provides quality care and really cares about his patients. I highly recommend Dr. Kempf. Frankly, I am surprised that he is here in Arlington rather than at NIH or one of the leading medical centers. I guess we are lucky he is here!

|  bedside manner is poor.  |  show details
Jun 22nd, 2011

bedside manner is poor. wait time was 50 minutes. refused to go with treatment i had been doing for 10 years. wouldn't listen, would interrupt me. to change treatment meant to change 75 percent of my medications around and experiment with results, which, as an fms patient, could easily take a year, given how our bodies react to medications, and could also make me go through bad emotional and physical reactions. took years to get my present regime down -- don't want to go through a change again. not returning after first visit.

Mar 13th, 2011

Dismissive, condescending and indifferent. He was of no help and almost seemed like it was his intention.

Feb 18th, 2011

Dr. Kempf's bedside manner leaves a lot to be desired. I never felt that he made an adequate attempt to understand my symptoms or to explore my background information. He tended to minimize my concerns, make quick and seemingly insufficient recommendations (i.e., take some asprin), and head out the door; as a result, I usually felt as baffled and overwhlemed as I had when I came in. Even if other patients have more serious conditions, I would hope that a doctor would make attempts to validate a patient's concerns, and provide information and suggestions.Not recommended.

Jan 13th, 2011

Dr. Kempf is one of the most pleasant doctors that I have ever met. He is very kind, gentle and will explain all aspects of your treatment. His hours are very good for working people and I trust him completely.

by Alfadan on Jun 29th, 2010

After a high sensitivity CRP test, he said c rective protein was "off the charts" and immediately prescribed Methotrexate and DMARDs. Of course my CRP was high, I have chronic arthritis. The hs-CRP measures very low amounts of CRP in the blood and is typically used to assess risk for heart problems, not inflammation of the joints. The proper test would have shown an elevated but not alarming level of CRP in my system.I left with the feeling that he was only interested in prescribing DMARDS for reasons only his accountant knows for sure. I never went back.

|  Anita Lawrence  |  show details
by Anita Lawrence on Jun 24th, 2010

Dr. Kempf has treated my Mom and was the only doctor that finally diagnosed her with Scleroderma. He is one of the most compassionate, and caring doctors I have ever encountered. He is so gentle and kind with my Mom. He never seems to be in a hurry and focuses on her when she is in his office.

|  a doctor who finally listened  |  show details
by Amber on May 17th, 2010

I have a rare nerve disorder (CRPS). I went through 10 doctors over the course of 6 years trying to figure out what was wrong. Very few of the specialists ever listened to all of my history. Dr. Kempf listened to me and then finally diagnosed my disorder and gave me a treatment plan.

May 11th, 2009

Watch out! They will charge you for no-show fee, even if you are sick and the appointment is in the early morning. The doctor just wanted to make sure he gets pay, even if he didnt' do jack!

|  This is the right doctor  |  show details
Sep 30th, 2008

HE is very knowledgable, always in the top docs of Washington DC and has been for many years, he is a leader in the industry and speaks to other docs around the country to get them up to speed, does a number of drug studies in his office, is innovative, understanding, compasionate, the best by far.