Psychiatrist

1.5

Some ratings provided by CitySearch. DrScore.
Stay away show details Stay away
by Concerned Parent on Sep 1st, 2014

This "Dr" never even spoke to the patient worse yet he never took any type of medical background. He just threw a prescription at mom and threw us out the door in less than 10 minutes. He Was not interested in hearing what was working or what was not. He told us everything we were doing was not working which was not true. My child had severe side effects due to the dosage of medication prescribed by Mr. Cohen. I called him on a weekend and did not get a call back until business hours on Monday. After speaking with the parents of other children my child's age I found out that Mr Cohen prescribed 4 times the average starting dose than their kids were taking in the beginning. In my opinion you are risking your child's health and safety if you go to this man. No reputable doctor prescribes medication without at least knowing the patients medical history.

I recommend Dr Cohen... show details I recommend Dr Cohen...
Apr 6th, 2013

Loved Dr Cohen...I found him to be intuitive and he has a great sense of humor. If you want an intelligent, witty, doctor that cuts through the bull...., I recommend Dr Cohen. He returns phone calls promptly and his office staff is courteous.

Different experience than the others show details Different experience than the others
May 31st, 2012

I did not have the same experience as the others that have commented. Initially, I did feel that Dr. Cohen was not very warm upon meeting him the first time. In fact, my son (12) and I kind of laughed when he walked out of the room and said to each other sarcastically, "Well HE'S friendly." (Because he was definitely lacking in greeting skills!) But then when we met with him we got a different feel. He was very knowledgeable, friendly, and encouraging. Should he have taken more history? Definitely. But I felt that we really trusted my judgment and take on my son's symptoms, behaviors, etc. Is he the best doctor I've ever seen? No. But finding a decent child psychiatrist is near impossible so we're sticking with Dr. Cohen.

This Doctor is GREAT for the busy Working Professional show details This Doctor is GREAT for the busy Working Professional
Mar 3rd, 2012

I read some of the negative comments about Dr. Cohen and had to laugh. This doctor is not the type to hold your hand and co-sign your BS! This doctor will not make you feel warm and fuzzy or feel sorry for you cause your Mommy and Daddy didnt hug you enough!....But, if you are looking for a doctor that will tell you the truth and empower you instead of pity you, make an appointment! Dr. Cohen wont waste his time or your time complaining about the past, but he is a wonderful doctor if you want help moving forward with your future!!

Awful - for adults and adolescents show details Awful - for adults and adolescents
Nov 30th, 2011

That's all I can say. With so many choices out there, why make your life even more miserable? It's your mental health after all.

This doctor needs counseling show details This doctor needs counseling
May 31st, 2011

There was another person in these ratings whose story paralels mine; degenerative spinal disease, pain control meds and AA. I was made to feel more like I was on trial and presumed guilty than visiting a doctor. I was allowed little to say. He spent ten minutes berating me, telling me everything was my fault and I had to quit all medications immediately. This guy (I hesitate to call him a doctor) is a menace to people who may need medical help. I am afraid if allowed to continue practice that he will drive some poor weak willed person to suicide. He is pedantic, self centered and arrogant. He does not follow the sworn doctors code of ethics and should have his license revoked.

Jan 6th, 2011

I chatted with Dr. Cohen on the phone before deciding to work with him. Consistent with the other reviews, he was very short, had a tone like I was wasting his time, and after just six minutes of standard questions, he HUNG UP ON ME and told me to see someone else. The question that he refused to answer was what kind of therapy methods do you practice, such as psychoanalysis, etc. I agree with the others, see someone else.

Stay away show details Stay away
by T Pone at Citysearch on Jan 6th, 2011 on citysearch.com

Sep 21st, 2010

I feel he does not diagnose very well.My son was taken off his meds to soon and he went throught withdrawals.Also he does not have a good system to get in contact with him after hours.

Became suicidal after treatment. show details Became suicidal after treatment.
Aug 6th, 2010

Dr. Cohen would not listen to my repeated requests to discontinue medication, or change dose to lower level. Quality of life dropped into the toilet. If you value your mental heath, AVOID THIS DOCTOR! His only concern is to over book his patients, and to have the last word.

Try another doctor show details Try another doctor
by LongBeachDeb at Citysearch on Aug 29th, 2009 on citysearch.com

This psychiatrist is not helpful to parents and he is a child psychiatrist and does not take the time to listen to his patients. His appointments are five minutes long and he does not request prior medical history in a timely fashion in order to make informed decisions about his client. He is rude and unprofessional. I have never encountered a less caring doctor in my life. .

by LongBeachDeb on Aug 29th, 2009 on citysearch.com

This psychiatrist is not helpful to parents (and he is a child psychiatrist) and does not take the time to listen to his patients. His appointments are five minutes long and he does not request prior medical history in a timely fashion in order to make i

Read Full Review at citysearch.com
Choose another Dr. show details Choose another Dr.
Jun 15th, 2009

Don't waste your time, choose another.

Don't do it show details Don't do it
by A concerned mother on Oct 13th, 2008

He was arrogant, short and rude. He never said one word to my child(the patient). He never took a medical history or did any type of testing. No proper evaluation was done. He spent just a few minutes with me, the mother. But he did give her a strong prescription. My child was very upset by the experience.

Poorest Psychiatrist I`ve ever seen show details Poorest Psychiatrist I`ve ever seen
by XPatientOfDrJudgenemnt at Citysearch on Apr 25th, 2008 on citysearch.com

This arrogant doctor spent only 15 minutes with me and asked me the questions he wanted answered as opposed to allowing me to tell him what my history REALLY was. Called me a \"\"medication abuser\"\" Citysearch guidelines at work here because I was seeing a pain management doctor I follow directions to the \"\"t\"\". He didn`t even ask me why I was seeing a pain management doctor. I admit that I`m in recovery from alcohol abuse, but nothing in the AA program says that we are to be in pain nor do they oppose pain management medication if you don`t have a problem with using it. FYI I have a chronic degenerative spine disease. Dr. Cohen will only know this if he can find this review. I`m honest about taking medications to my AA groups, but I had a relapse which I also have confessed to my groups and I am sober 90 days today and then he sent me out of his office until I could \"\"fix myself\"\" with the hopes that I could do so in 30 days. Are you starting to get this Sorry, but this guy is not a supportive person at all, if that`s what you need.

by XPatientOfDrJudgenemnt on Apr 25th, 2008 on citysearch.com

This arrogant doctor spent only 15 minutes with me and asked me the questions he wanted answered as opposed to allowing me to tell him what my history REALLY was. Called me a "medication abuser" (Citysearch guidelines at work here) because I was seeing a