Psychiatrist

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
In and out show details In and out
by Mindy Shelmidine on Jan 5th, 2016

It was easy and he was awesome. Got me in and out and the help I needed

Dec 10th, 2015

spent 8 minutes with me ask 4 questions and wrote prescription for super strong medication,.......!!!!!

by Chris on Oct 18th, 2015

Dependable, logical advice. He worked with me through my time of depression. Very helpful with family dynamics.

Intelligent, Professional and Patient show details Intelligent, Professional and Patient
by Enrico on Sep 15th, 2015

When I initially read through some of the reviews below, I was a bit hesitant to meet Dr. Cohen. When I met him today, I found Dr. Cohen to be intelligent, professional and very patient. Yes, the waiting room was a bit small - but once in his office, I felt very much welcome, not rushed and reassured. Dr. Cohen's may not be as warm and fuzzy as some want (his job is not to act as a psychologist - but rather to help one more forward medically with their mental issues and struggles) but if you want a doctor who is interested in helping you understand your condition medically, then he is highly recommended. He is, in fact, the first psychiatrist who actually took the time to get to know me, understand my needs and make me feel welcome. I'm not sure I understand where these negative reviews are coming from. Take the reviews with a grain of salt and make your own decision.

Stay away show details Stay away
by Concerned Parent on Sep 1st, 2014

This "Dr" never even spoke to the patient worse yet he never took any type of medical background. He just threw a prescription at mom and threw us out the door in less than 10 minutes. He Was not interested in hearing what was working or what was not. He told us everything we were doing was not working which was not true. My child had severe side effects due to the dosage of medication prescribed by Mr. Cohen. I called him on a weekend and did not get a call back until business hours on Monday. After speaking with the parents of other children my child's age I found out that Mr Cohen prescribed 4 times the average starting dose than their kids were taking in the beginning. In my opinion you are risking your child's health and safety if you go to this man. No reputable doctor prescribes medication without at least knowing the patients medical history.

I recommend Dr Cohen... show details I recommend Dr Cohen...
Apr 6th, 2013

Loved Dr Cohen...I found him to be intuitive and he has a great sense of humor. If you want an intelligent, witty, doctor that cuts through the bull...., I recommend Dr Cohen. He returns phone calls promptly and his office staff is courteous.

Different experience than the others show details Different experience than the others
May 31st, 2012

I did not have the same experience as the others that have commented. Initially, I did feel that Dr. Cohen was not very warm upon meeting him the first time. In fact, my son (12) and I kind of laughed when he walked out of the room and said to each other sarcastically, "Well HE'S friendly." (Because he was definitely lacking in greeting skills!) But then when we met with him we got a different feel. He was very knowledgeable, friendly, and encouraging. Should he have taken more history? Definitely. But I felt that we really trusted my judgment and take on my son's symptoms, behaviors, etc. Is he the best doctor I've ever seen? No. But finding a decent child psychiatrist is near impossible so we're sticking with Dr. Cohen.

Awful - for adults and adolescents show details Awful - for adults and adolescents
Nov 30th, 2011

That's all I can say. With so many choices out there, why make your life even more miserable? It's your mental health after all.

This doctor needs counseling show details This doctor needs counseling
May 31st, 2011

There was another person in these ratings whose story paralels mine; degenerative spinal disease, pain control meds and AA. I was made to feel more like I was on trial and presumed guilty than visiting a doctor. I was allowed little to say. He spent ten minutes berating me, telling me everything was my fault and I had to quit all medications immediately. This guy (I hesitate to call him a doctor) is a menace to people who may need medical help. I am afraid if allowed to continue practice that he will drive some poor weak willed person to suicide. He is pedantic, self centered and arrogant. He does not follow the sworn doctors code of ethics and should have his license revoked.

Jan 6th, 2011

I chatted with Dr. Cohen on the phone before deciding to work with him. Consistent with the other reviews, he was very short, had a tone like I was wasting his time, and after just six minutes of standard questions, he HUNG UP ON ME and told me to see someone else. The question that he refused to answer was what kind of therapy methods do you practice, such as psychoanalysis, etc. I agree with the others, see someone else.

Sep 21st, 2010

I feel he does not diagnose very well.My son was taken off his meds to soon and he went throught withdrawals.Also he does not have a good system to get in contact with him after hours.

Became suicidal after treatment. show details Became suicidal after treatment.
Aug 6th, 2010

Dr. Cohen would not listen to my repeated requests to discontinue medication, or change dose to lower level. Quality of life dropped into the toilet. If you value your mental heath, AVOID THIS DOCTOR! His only concern is to over book his patients, and to have the last word.

Choose another Dr. show details Choose another Dr.
Jun 15th, 2009

Don't waste your time, choose another.

Don't do it show details Don't do it
by A concerned mother on Oct 13th, 2008

He was arrogant, short and rude. He never said one word to my child(the patient). He never took a medical history or did any type of testing. No proper evaluation was done. He spent just a few minutes with me, the mother. But he did give her a strong prescription. My child was very upset by the experience.