Dr. Phyllis Agran MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.6

May 28th, 2015
Occupational Therapist
Dr. Agran is one of the very best Dr.'s in OC! She is so caring and takes her time with patients. She truly loves what she does and shows her compassion for her patients. She is very thorough and cares for the well being of children. I am so thankful to have her as my son's GI specialist. She has and continues to take great care of my son. I would highly recommend her to all my family and friends!

August 28th, 2013
Bedside or Life Saver?
I read the reviews that talk about bedside manner, ease of appointments or how the office staff treats the parent, but really, isn't the most important thing saving a kid's life? We went to Dr. Agran as my daughter was very ill and my boss recommended her as she saved his son's life by diagnosing him with Crohn's disease when no one else could figure out what was wrong. My daughter had "an angry porcupine" in her stomach that other doctors dismissed. Dr. Agran found out it was nodular lymphoid hyperplasia. She's kind of like Dr. House. He doesn't always guess right the first time, because the clients he sees are complex. Don't take your kid to Agran if she just has a belly ache. Dr. House was also not known for patting a patient's hand and giving out lollipops. Don't go to Agran if you want to chat about your most recent vacation. She's there to help your kid, then the next. Stick with her if you want results and a kid that is healthy and happy. Don't look for yourself to be happy. Just be grateful.

February 29th, 2012
Front Office is very rude and unhelpful. I have to call several times for several days to actually speak to the administration. The answering machine is on 99% of the time. Her consult fee regardless of insurance is hundreds of dollars (for 10 min) the office charges for everything(phone calls, patient records,etc). Dr. Agran's bedside manners are terrible. If you have a problem and use their sysyem to page her it takes days for her to respond. We were very unhappy overall. We waited over an hour for apts. the list goes on and on. I wish she would have been a great doctor and considerate of her patients. But unfortunately I can't say anything positive. Total disappointment.

September 28th, 2011
Very bad physician
This woman discounted all my concerns and chalked it up "being a new mom" not taking any of my explanations with validity. My daughter has severe reflux and apnea and was on a monitor constantly. Dr. Agran, at one point, didnt want me to administer CPR to my choking infant because she wanted to witness her episode. She doubted and treated me like I was ignorant. Finally, after 2 hospitalizations, I switched my daughters gastro only to find, she was severely under medicated and mis-diagnosed. Our new doctor helped my daughter through her ailments and listened to my concerns. She is now a happy, pain free, healthy, thriving little girl :)

May 24th, 2011
Unprofessional, Arrogant, Doesn't Listen
My child has been struggling with anxiety and reflux for the last 2 years. Dr. Agran would not, did not provide any help for her reflux. She kept insisting that she had an eating disorder and would not listen to us at all. If you need a good, caring doctor, who will support your child, and who will fight for your child's health, look elsewhere. We are still trying to find the right gastro.

July 25th, 2010
She Saved Our Daughter's Live
Dr. Agran literally saved our 3 month old daughter's life. Her pediatrician's wouldn't listen to our concerns, nor would the emergency rooms, when we knew something was wrong. Finally, one doctor at CHOC ER believed us and got us into Dr. Agran right away. She worked through various treatments until one worked. Our daughter who had lost 33% of her body weight and became failure to thrive turned around under Dr. Agran's care. She was willing to listen to our theories and observations and work with us to discover what was wrong. This teamwork is what it took and our former "failure to thrive" baby is now a healthy 12 year old, 5'7" 125 pound tweenager! We are forever thankful.

July 23rd, 2010
Very unsatisfied!!!
I usually don't take the time to write reviews, but in this case I will. Without ranting and raving excessively, our family's experience with Dr. Agran and her staff can be summed up in one word: "Disappointing!" Due to my daughter's condition, she has been on various medications and specialty diets since she was 2 months old. We took her to see Dr. Agran on numerous occasions and while my wife dealt primarily with her, I got to hear the stories and finally had to endure her on this last appointment. As I said before, I don't want to go into details but our overall experience with her has been very frustrating with no results (in fact, after 3 visits she still isn't sure if my daughter has reflux) and I cannot in good conscience recommend her to anyone. I understand that pediatric GIs are in short supply and she may be geographically convenient to you, but I would highly advise you traveling farther to make sure your child is seen by another doctor. Oh, and though I do not have a PhD or MD, I still firmly believe that a G-Tube is not the "easiest" solution to a child's eating problems as Dr. Agran believes. Just my opinion.

March 10th, 2010
She was really helpful in finding my problem, my son was annorexic due to a problem with his gastic bypass band. She was very helpful.

February 24th, 2010
Highly recommend!
My daughter was diagnosed by a former pediatrician with "failure to thrive". She was anemic and wasn't gaining weight and had other issues. I took her to Dr. Agran and by the end of our first appt., she gave me a list of what foods I should give her, what to look for and basically a battle plan to get my little girl back on track. She not only diagnosed the problem from the first day but gave me a sense of re-assurance. Now my daughter is doing wonderful and I couldn't be more thankful to find such a wonderful, honest and caring doctor who knows her stuff!