Physiatrist, Pain Medicine
85 Seymour St
Ste 607
Hartford, CT 06106
860-549-3210
Locations and availability (5)

2.0

• Currently 2.2619047619048 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore. CitySearch.
 |  A waste of your Time!!  |  show details
by Judd Lemrise on Jul 12th, 2014

Dr. Memmo saw me for 5 minutes, banged my legs with a reflex hammer, and had me bend over, and moved me from front to back, and side to side, and then lean back. That was the extent ofmy evaluation!!! He then proceeded to insult me with his knowledge and belittle me right there!!! He is too cocky for really not being good at all. Stay away from him, and see someone who really cares about you!

May 16th, 2014

DR MEMO IS A WONDERFUL DOCTOR.

|  Great doctor with rigorous scientific techniques and attention to detail  |  show details
by Richard H. on Dec 20th, 2013

I went to Dr. Memmo to diagnose the severity of Carpal Tunnel in both hands, having been referred to him by my surgeon. The office wait was only 15 minutes, and he spent 30 minutes testing both hands! I have suffered with carpal tunnel syndrome for nearly 20 years, and in the past, a doctor used a subjective assessment of my condition that in his mind did not warrant surgery. Dr. Memmo used rigorous scientific testing to objectively diagnose my condition as severe. I'm very thankful to him for spending the time needed to correctly diagnose my condition. As for his personality -- I liked him; he takes his professionally seriously.

|  Great Experience  |  show details
by Trail Runner on Sep 20th, 2013

I cannot understand the negative feedback on this site re: Dr. Memmo. I went to him for a second opinion after seeing a sports medicine office. I was in and out within an hour and the office staff and nurse were courteous and professional. Dr. Memmo took time to listen to my account of the injury; reviewed an MRI and found an issue which the sports medicine MD and my PT had missed; offered a prognosis and a cautious approach to treatment. After 2 and 1/2 months of dealing with this injury I finally have a diagnosis which makes sense in light of my symptoms. I did not feel rushed at all; he answered all my questions. I almost cancelled the appt. due to the previous comments, but I am glad I didn't. I would recommend this office to others. I work in human services and have had several family members with chronic illnesses, so I have seen/experienced dozens of different medical providers over the years. This practice is of a high quality. Ignore the posts and decide for yourself. I'm glad i did.

Mar 28th, 2013

Dear Dr. Memmo, I thought for sure you would be the right doctor to help me find a non-invasive plan to get my life back, especially because I was referred to you by a neurosurgeon. I have what seems to be two different or related issues that started two years apart with particular pain patterns. Instead of spending a little more time with me you decided after a very brief conversation and a little poke here or there that it is fibromyalgia which you can't help with. And most of those places hurt people that don't have issues as they are called pressure points, minimal pressure causes discomfort. Doctor sir, this is the catch all and if it was that simple the neuro, reumatologist and a few other specialists would've diagnosed it just as that. My pain seems more in line with a peripheral neuropathy with no underlying recognized disease to cause it, and it is not the entire body just two places.

|  Problems from Epidural Steriod injection  |  show details
Feb 24th, 2013

My daughter received an Epidural Steroid injection in Oct. 2012. She was sent to the hospital 7 hrs later with numbness from both hips down and was considered to be in a life threatening situation. After 2 weeks in the hospital and now 4 months later she is left with numbness in her right foot, and inverted right foot and weakness in her right side. She also was left with no sensation to have bowel movement and needs daily and weekly meds to produce a bowel movement once a week.We have not had any communication from this doctor since the injection !! This injection was done in Rocky Hill Ct. If anyone else has had this problem please respond to this posting !!!! .

|  supposedly being the best isn't everything.  |  show details
Oct 25th, 2012

i heard, over and over, that this doctor is "the best". he may well be, but he has no bedside manner. i was waiting, in an exam robe for 20 minutes, and i was crying when he walked into the exam room and he didn't even acknowledge me or my emotion. this was a consult appt., before a discogram was to be performed. he did not tell me anything about the procedure other than the fact that he would be injecting my disc with lidocaine. when i got to the procedure i was told that i had to be prone, on my stomach, which i cannot do. when the nurses told him that i wasn't able to do that, he barked his response "then we can't do it". he has no compassion that is even mildly ascertainable. had i been fully informed about what was needed from me prior to the procedure, i might not have had to go through 15 minutes of excruciating pain through the discogram.when we are in pain, it's always helpful to have someone with a modicum of warmth and caring toward us.

|  Very impatient doctor... you feel like a number!  |  show details
Aug 16th, 2012

My wait in this office was one hour. I found the doctor irritable..uncaring and rushed me and cut me off. Be aware this doctor has a question on his questionarire "Are you using an attorney?" VERY ODD QUESTION . Don't use him if your looking for support in a law suit I doubt you'll get it!

|  Arrogant  |  show details
Jul 19th, 2012

Did not listen to what I had to say or ask of him. He acted as though he was too busy to see me. If a doctor doesn't have time to spend with a patient, then they should reschedule. When someone is facing an unknown procedure and have questions the doctor has a responsibility to answer them.

|  Knowledge and Application  |  show details
Jul 13th, 2012

Dr. Memmo is the first doctor (out of 3 over the past 10 or so years)to actually give injections that work! I also like his bedside manner.

|  Never Again  |  show details
May 2nd, 2012

After waiting over an hour to see him, he spent less than five minutes with me. He could not have cared less about me or my pain. Will never go back!

|  A wonderful experience for my pain relief  |  show details
Apr 26th, 2012

Dr. Memmo gave me an injection to relieve the pain in my hip. It was done in a manner that was professional and clinical and human. I would recommend him to anyone seeking a great doctor.

|  Disappointed some where in CT. age 48 only  |  show details
Feb 12th, 2012

Please it took me to see this doctor month and half. Then telling me in the first visit nothing wrong with me and having me crying but yelling that it was heck to get appointment. Then after taking all my notes and not getting them back from other doctors to find that I do have pinched nerves with my first steroid procedure. Then disguising the pain with steriods. No therapy. Going on my fourth doctor and lot closer to home. But give him credit he did get me out of bed and back to work but again not able to do the full hours I use to do. Still with pain every morning until home for the night. Where has the Profession of doctors and insurance gone wrong.

Aug 25th, 2011

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME & MONEY WITH THIS DOCTOR!!!!!!He is arrogant & rude! i was referred to him by my orthopedic doctor..i have severe neck pain-spinal stenosis accurately diagnosed by Mri..and several buldging lumbar discs.. he acted like he couldn't understand why i am in pain?? and said he would get back to me the following week..he never called! i waited 3 weeks..then called the office..everyone was on vacation.. finally they called and said they needed to review my case..and again get back to me.. i still am waiting..in severe pain.. i now have another doctor..do yourself a favor.. don't go to see him!! i don't know how he has gotten good reviews??(maybe he paid people??) everyone i talk to that went to him (at least 20 people) were not satisfied..

May 9th, 2011

His wating room is a cattle call for 30-40 pts. Dr. spends 5 mins and wants to do spinal injections on everyone. He is a money mill for procedures. I expected better from a physiatrist!!!!

Apr 3rd, 2011

I felt nervous going to see him for my appointment. He has been caring and very supportive of my condition along with his staff.

|  Best man for the job of pain relief for me, and my back  |  show details
by April Louise Curnow on Mar 25th, 2011

I have had several appointments with Dr. Memmo for back and hip pain relief. He has never failed to provide at least some easing of my pain and suffering. His staff and his own actions and caring are always notch. I have never found anyone better, thank God I found them.

Mar 16th, 2011

arogant and unprofessional

|  Help with Chronic pain  |  show details
Feb 17th, 2011

I've had chronic pain for over thirty years. Dr. Memmo was willing to listen to my problems and is helping me to creatively problem solve with a variety of physical therapy interventions. He has given me hope of decreased pain if I am willing to work consistently with physical activity. Thanks Dr. Memmo

|  NEGATIVE RATING  |  show details
Dec 21st, 2010

I wish they had a rating for negative 5 stars. Don't waste your time, money or energy on this guy. Horrible doctor.

|  quack  |  show details
Nov 16th, 2010

First of all had to wait over two hours to see him , which I thought was good as in busy doctor should mean that he's good, to my short coming this Doctor would not take the time to go over anything with me was wrong with my back , when I tried to ask questions he acted like he was in a hurry to be some where else. If you are going to see this person I would think of seeing some one else. Seeing him was a waste of my time and hard earn money.

|  I read these reviews and was scared but Memmo was the only one I could get an appointment with  |  show details
by Cris D on Sep 20th, 2010

Turns out he was fantastic! Very courteous with me and my family, explained everything that would happen, was very honest about procedure (discogram) and got me pain relief quickly after procedure. I am glad I went.

|  Thought was at a puppy mill, or in rush hour traffic  |  show details
by Needs a Doctor who cares, Not this one on Jul 21st, 2010

This Doctor will not take the time or it seems he cares about his patients, I was there at 3:45 PM 07/20/2010 on time for my appointment with him, I had to wait until 5:55 PM to just to get in room only to have to wait 15 min's more before Doctor came in , after he took less then 3 min's to tell me nothing wrong with my back, he had the gall to say why am I there, funny on that as How could he tell me that when I gave them MRI disk that same day when I was there, when did he have the time to look at it over real good?, and way he said it was like wasting his time,he was rolling his eyes back and forth , this Doctor shouldn't be a Doctor to see people he has no people manners at all, Way I was treated was like a person off a banana boat, I tried to ask Doctor Questions about my back and all he can say was what do you want me to do, he said he would give me a shot, after trying to find out about shot, which he was no help at all I said no as he wouldn't take the time to explain it and I'm not getting a shot in my body without some facts on it first..This Doctor seems to me is all about money, he doesn't care about his patients, only the $ sign, there where about 30 people in his waiting room that day, how can a Doctor that seen over 30 people before me give the care to that patient and take the time to answer there questions, if your thinking about seeing this Doctor good luck, I know one thing I will see a Doctor who will take the time with me so I can live a better life with my back, I wouldn't trust this Doctor with my cat or dog.On his staff they could of said that there was a long wait, but did they take the time to just say that NO, I will be sending this Doctor a bill for my waiting time which was uncalled for.How this person can stay in business is shocking, if my place of business treated customers way he and his staff did there would be no business.

|  go to Dr. Frank Setter at SFH  |  show details
by Lori on Jun 21st, 2010

He is abrupt, rushes you, wastes your time going in for a consultation before the appointment for the injection whereas at SFH you do both on the same day. He doesn't like to or seem to have time to answer questions. He just has a very aggressive personality.

|  The best for back pain !!!  |  show details
by KCB316 on Jun 16th, 2010 on citysearch.com

Dr. Memmo knew exactly what to do with my acute lower back pain, took care of me right away, and communicated exactly the path I`d travel towards improvement. His services are in demand by many, yet he finds a way and the time to take care of you with many thanks and credits to his courtious staff.

Read Full Review at citysearch.com
 |  Bedside Poor  |  show details
May 25th, 2010

Will never get back to you by phone.You have a problem, too bad.

by Laurie Pierce on Apr 26th, 2010

Wholly frustrated with this doctor and his Farmington staff. I'm a female in my late 30s, experiencing on/off acute back pain. Feeling helpless and scared, I would have hoped to find a doctor who'd see/treat me with compassion and understanding. First in-office experience- I felt reduced to a number as opposed to a patient. The staff is seemingly less than service oriented, personable, or considerate of patients' pain or time. I waited for over an hour at both appointments only to get in 10 - 15 minutes with the Doctor before he flew out the door and then out of the building. I felt that Dr. Memmo was curt, belittling, and smug. He commented on my flexibility (as if to suggest that, since I'm able to move and not a geriatric patient, I've no reason to be complaining or taking up his time). He rolled his eyes and shrugged his shoulders when I asked him the most obvious of questions about diagnosis and treatment. He had a tone that was full of exasperation, and he whipped thru my file, my x-rays and MRI in a fashion suggesting he was going to make the same conclusions regardless of what I or my information conveyed. At the end, I was told I'd be getting an injection (Perhaps I was supposed to expect this - mea culpa if this is the only treatment he administers) and that all of my (seemingly silly) questions that the Doctor did not have the time or patience to answer in person would be answered in the "literature" that the receptionist would give me. I received no assistance with regard to submitting a pre-determined estimate request to my insurance carrier- no indication of how much this procedure would cost me out of pocket- and, to add insult to injury, I had to ask for the "literature" that was less than thorough in describing the drug/s to be administeredthe side effects, etc. I decided, in the end, that regardless of treatment efficacy, (and it would seem like a temporary solution, regardless), I was extremely offended by Dr. Memmo's behavior those two visits, and I would not feel comfortable giving him permission to experiment with my health and my money.

|  Not This doctor  |  show details
Apr 9th, 2010

Try to avoid going to this "pain specialist". Ask your referring doctor for a different name.

Apr 6th, 2010

I was very pleased with the outcome of my first visit. I was surprised at the amount of time that Dr Memmo spent with me, as well as how little the wait time was!

|  Just say NO  |  show details
Feb 20th, 2010

Save yourself from further suffering. Make a better choice.

|  CAUTION  |  show details
Feb 19th, 2010

Dr. Memmo lacks skills to put a patient at ease or provide confidence in his ability. He is abrupt and rushed. In each of my 5 visits with him including a epidural procedure, he was insensitive, impatient and ultimately ineffective. Unable to correct, improve or even diagnose my condition, he simply threw his hands in the air at one point and said "what is it you'd like me to do for you"? When the epidural went wrong, I ended up in the ER at the hospital. Dr. Memmo's response was to pull out the image of the epidural and show it to me saying "I could have injected water and had the same result". He told me to go back to the sending physician, that I would need "a spinal fusion". Spinal fusion was not in any way indicated by my CAT scan, sending orthopedic doc or on second opinion from an expert. Dr. Memmo was simply trying to "dismiss" me becasue he was frustrated at not being able to help me. Note to doc - it's not your fault if you can't make me better. It absolutely IS YOUR FAULT that you intentionally made me feel worse. Did you actually understand your oath?

by Alan S on Feb 5th, 2010

I have been coming to see Dr. Memmo for several years. Even now that I live in Florida, I still make a yearly trip to get an epidural, which helps me live a relatively pain free life without the needs for meds.

Jan 6th, 2010

THE BEST...He made me feel comfortable immediately. He SAVED me from surgery. He is really the BEST at what he does. If you have sciatica, he is the doctor you should see. JGB

by BILL G on Jan 6th, 2010

FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE. I have been living with sciatica for 4 months, misdiagnosed. Dr. Memmo performed 2 epidurals on me, and I have been cured. His staff is excellent. He works out of a state of the art facility. I found him to be compassionate and he was gentle and knew his stuff. SIMPLY THE BEST.

|  I think he's great  |  show details
Dec 9th, 2009

I've dealt with Dr. Memmo off and on for 2.5 years after a fall that not only broke my ankle but injured my back. I find him to not only 'know his business' but also to exhibit a caring attitude. I've found him to have an appropriate sense of humor and to be sympathetic when the procedure he is doing causes pain. I would recommend him to anyone.

Jun 26th, 2009

Terrible bedside manner. He was downright rude, and did not work to alleviate pain, in fact, he made it worse. Find a more caring, educated doctor.

Apr 29th, 2009

bad experience

Dec 22nd, 2008

Dr. Memmo seems short on patience and always in a rush. Whether in his office or the procedure room, I felt like just another numbered patient. I will look for a more compassionate doctor.

|  dr. rating  |  show details
Oct 16th, 2008

I am very distressed with my experience with Dr. Memmo. He may be very good at what he does, but his bedside manner is not acceptable. He seems short and not very caring to a patient who is in alot of pain. You dont really see him before or after the procedure. He seems to be lacking compassion and isnt interested in making the patient comfortable , pain wise with the procedure. He doesnt suggest sedation that i have read about that would make it easier to tolerate. When i have suggested something he thinks it is not necessary and thinks my pain tolerance is low. I dont think that is a call for him to make, regarding the procedure. Hopefully, we can get pass this but if i need more time with him, this will be an issure where i might have to find another physician.

by BertKelsey on Apr 29th, 2008 on citysearch.com

This Dr. is an arrogant uncaring man. He tried to tell my wife and I how our son walked befor he broke his leg when he had no prior knowledge. He refused to listen when we told him that our son walked normaly. He refused to treat his ostioporosis and told

Read Full Review at citysearch.com