Dr. Rafat Rizk MD Patient Reviews

• Gastroenterology Ann Arbor, MI

2.8

October 2nd, 2015
Very upsetting experience
I have tried to stay with Dr. Rizk for the past several years for continuity of care, however this has been very difficult considering his extreme negligence. I came down with a virus this year which affected my stomach. I agree with the other posts, I had to wait a long time to actually see Dr. Rizk and when he did come into the office he acted like he had not read any of my history. Like the other post, he continued to recommend GI Cocktail with Lidocaine and Protonix despite me repeatedly telling him it was not working, I was actually getting worse on this medication. One visit he actually repeatedly threatened me with a feeding tube and then he said he would see me back in 4 months. I responded how can you threaten someone with a feeding tube (which is serious) and not monitor their condition, e.g. "I'll see you in 4 months". The GI dept. in general at U of M leaves much to be desired, check the U.S. News and World report. You are better off going to Beaumont Hospital or the Cleveland Clinic for a more comprehensive assessment and treatment. I am now with a better health system, where the physicians actually reviewed Rizk's notes and advised it appeared that Dr. Rizk was not listening to my complaints/ did not understand how to treat my condition.

December 12th, 2014
He did not talk directly to me because I was a woman. He was condescending and rude and he made me wait over 2 hours for each appointment.

December 30th, 2013
A diagnosis at last:)
I had been having issues since my late teens and Dr. Rizk was the first doctor to run the proper testing and diagnose me after 30 years with Celiac Disease. I have non traditional symptoms and really felt so fortunate to have Dr. Rizk and his insight into my condition. I have two children which we now know also have Celiac Disease and feel so blessed that they too can have such a compassionate doctor. He is the best!

December 4th, 2013
Poor experience
Very very disappointed. Original complaint for Gastro issues to obtain a second opinion was a waste of time and money. I sent 25 pages of history over to UM to review, wrote up a history of my complaints and arrived one hour early so I wouldn't be late and then waited a total of 3+hours. Dr. Risk did not review any of my history, sent me for a follow up Esophagus GI test telling me my esophagus was over sensitive. I was prescribed Lidocaine mix to help. No one contacted me on my test results-no follow up. When I called after a week of waiting, I was crying on the phone from the chest pain plus the addition of a very upset stomach from the Lidocaine, the nurse said "oh, lots of people get sick from it" and said "I guess no one called you". I asked for the doctor to contact me and was told he would not talk to me and come back in 4 months. This was the worse experience I ever had with any doctor. I immediately went to another doctor for a 3rd opinion through Beaumont Hospital. Thank god I did, he found my right kidney was blocked from a aggressive type of cancer which can produce the same symptoms as Gastro chest pain w/acid reflux. Since then I had my kidney removed, and no more Gasto symptoms! Still have to be monitored for cancer, but I'm alive. Dr. Risk needs to believe his patients complaints and not neglect them.

October 6th, 2013
Shame on you
How can a doctor call other doctors form his own health system liers? All the doctors that told me I was getting better' I was told by doctor Rizk that they were all lieing to me. He did not want me to talk about any progess that I have been working on.After waiting 50 mins. for him' with in 15 mins.he was able to tell me that with out an excam I would need an operation and because of my age (63) changes are it would not do any good. I did not ask for this appointment . It was set up by the U ofM health System. Very bad matters and I would rate this doctor 0 out of 4 stars.

March 21st, 2013
Very Sad
After traveling over three hundred miles to see him,waited 1hr 35 minutes until he came in. He was so far behind and didn't care enough to read records and gave recommendation to just go,home and live like I had been for 6 more months. This after 5 doctors sent me there to see him ASAP as I had been in the hospital 3 times in last 30 days. Him not reading records , telling me to go home to die and all in 14 minutes after waiting all that time. Very scary!!

June 25th, 2012
After having gone to several different Physcians for a debilitating health concern and having been repetedly misdiagnosed with stomach ulcers, I was finally referred to Dr. Rizk who carefully examined me and listened to my history and symptoms he was able to FINALLY appropriately diagnose me and prescribe to me the appropriate medication. I have not had an episode since that fateful day that Dr. Rizk came into my life and I am tremendously grateful to him for that.

June 7th, 2010
very thorough, great bedside manner
I LOVE this doc. He spends so much time with patients that he seems to be a bit behind. schedule a 1pm appt.