Dr. Rakesh Shah MD, DDS Patient Reviews

• General Surgery Birmingham, AL

• Good
  • Bad

July 15th, 2016
Dr. Shah has less than competent staff.
So at the consultation everything went fine. I scheduled a wisdom tooth removal at 9:45 in the morning. First, I had called to request an anti-anxiety medication since this would be my first ever surgery. I was told they would call it in to my pharmacy for me to pick up. This prescription was nowhere to be found at either Rite Aid in Madison. I later received a phone call notifying me of a cancellation at 9:00 and was told my appointment was moved up into this slot. I arrived at 8:45; however, I ended up sitting in the waiting room for an hour and a half, making me not only uber punctual for my 9:00 appointment but also the original 9:45 appointment. So after they wasted my entire morning, I was finally called back at 10:15. After about 10 minutes the nurse inserted my IV and I lay in the chair waiting for Dr. Shah to arrive. I had thought of a few questions ahead of time about dry sockets, which I proceeded to ask the present nursing staff. Unfortunately they avoided my question, and when I told them they had not answered it they gave me an indirect and irrelevant bit about how since I do not smoke I should not get a dry socket. Then I lay there shivering as the nurse named Belinda watched me. Once I finally let her know I was a bit chilly she got me a blanket. There were no more issues until that afternoon when the same nurse Belinda called to check up. I asked her if I had any sutures put into the gums around the sockets since Dr. Shah had mentioned at m consultation this was a possibility. She said she would check my chart, and when she returned she notified me that no sutures were put into my mouth. Her being in the position she is, I trusted that she knew what she was talking about and did not question it. Fast forward to today, four days after surgery. Today was the first day everything was finally decreasing in size, and I decided to inspect the contents of my post-surgery mouth. And what do I find? Nothing less than two sutures in both of my lower gums, which I had been told were not there. This was overall an extremely less-than-satisfactory ordeal, and I am both extremely disappointed that all of this happened and appalled that my dentist would have recommended me to such a place. When my brother gets his wisdom teeth extracted we will be going far from here!

August 29th, 2013
improper IV technique causes phlebitis
Dr. Shah (rocky) has impressive credentials. But something went terribly wrong the day I had oral surgery. Basically the tech. blew my vein, this happens when the tech. pushes the meds too hard and fast. This can also cause a person serious complications. i.e. blood clots going to the heart, lungs, and brain. Dr. Shah should have known something was not right. He even made the comment to me that twice the meds were needed. well if he looked at the IV site it was already swollen and discolored. This caused me to have pain and swelling for over a month.

January 19th, 2016