Dr. Ramesh Gupta MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.2

January 28th, 2016
He is a nice man but his bedside manner and communication skills are terrible. He never discusses test results and does not make you feel comfortable asking questions. The office is trashy and cluttered looking and constantly changing staff. Run as fast and as far away as you can. It's worth the wait to get in with another dr.

January 28th, 2015
very kind man

December 27th, 2014
Look elsewhere
Tricare really needs to get rid of this guy as their sole rheumatologist in Memphis. His office is dirty and looks very out of date. On my second appointment, three nurses were “training” a fourth nurse who had never used the little nerve-testing machine (I don’t know the proper name) that hooks up to the forearm. It sends electronic pulses to the nerves and reads if there is any nerve damage. They “trained” her on me and made no apologies about it. I did not see Gupta prior to this for him to explain anything or ask how I’d been doing. Very unprofessional. When the test began, I felt the worst pain, like I was being electrocuted. I held back tears---and I have a high tolerance for pain. They took the printout to Gupta and came back in the room, this time apologizing because they had to do the test over. It was not hooked up correctly. THAT is when I lost it, crying that I could NOT handle that again. They insisted but my answer was NO, they may not. They left. As I started to gather my belongings, Gupta showed up. He was very, very angry and began yelling at me, saying that the insurance would not pay him if the test was not done correctly. He could see I'd been crying but didn't care. Horrible place, horrible doctor. I never went back.

February 21st, 2014
This doctor is well past his prime.
I was a patient of Dr. Gupta's for two years. In this time he not only failed to properly diagnose my illness but he would not listen to what I would tell him about my symptoms. I was placed on an array of terrible medications that never worked. Every time I would try to talk to him about them not being effective, he would say "let's give them another month". It had already been 7 months when I first said that. I let this go on for way too long and eventually found a new doctor. This man is so old, he was not prepared for myself, a youg patient of less than 25. Most of his patients are almost as old as he is and seemed to have straightforward arthritis cases. His staff is another problem. They are juvenile, unprofessional persons who seemingly have no medical office training. They have drawn on the bathroom walls and there are handwritten signs all over the office written with multiple colored markers. Reminded me of my middle school locker. They are constantly goofing around and not doing their jobs. The laboratory staff in his office is a crazed mix of the rest of his staff and they rarely are calm enough to get things done well. They are behind and busy and the wait is outrageous. Once you get to the patient room and Dr. Gupta is finally there, don't expect him to stay long. In my experience he would frequently leave the room in the middle of my time to go do something else. Also the door is never shut so that his staff can come and go as they please to tell him things, give him papers to sign, etc. This is the least professional doctors office I have ever been to. Patient privacy does not exist here.

October 15th, 2013
I changed Dr's and asked for copies of my records. The staff and Dr. Gupta were rude. They said,"pay $20.00 and pick them up in 3 days. Very rude.

March 5th, 2013
I was treated by Dr. Gupta in 2009 before we received orders back to NC with the Marine Corps. He gave me a thorough exam, took baseline xrays & labs that are still used to monitor my condition. I have seen 2 Rheumatologist since him & have been gravely dissatisified as none compared to the thorough exam, time spent listening to me & my symptoms. He looked at the overall picture, and as anyone with an autoimmune disease knows it takes time to get a diagnois. The medications I was on had side effects but all do, it took several months to get the right dose & combination of medications to help me. After we moved no one wanted to continue his treatment because my bloodwork had improved. Now I am it terrible shape & being sent to Duke Lupus Clinic & rushed in due to my labs being so bad without Dr. Gupta care and medications. I have missed him terribly and know my health would not have gotten so bad had I still been there. It was easy to get appointments monthly, here it took 4 months to be seen by a rheumatologist. His lab tech was excellent always got my blood in one stick & couldn't even feel it. I never had any trouble with his office staff at all and they were very helpful in our move & getting everything ready. I do believe the hospital should give them a more space as they provide a great service. SHOCKED is all I can say about the reviews here. I simply logged on to get his information to send to the Duke Lupus clinic.

April 2nd, 2012
I wouldnt recommend this doctor to anyone. His staff extremely rude. He is in network on my insurance and I have met my deductible yet was told I must have 1,000 or I would not be seen. My insurance company says he is "crazy" All I have to pay is my co pay of 15 and he wants 1,000 for what. STAY CLEAR FROM THIS NUT

March 6th, 2012
pastor694@gmail.com
OMG! I went to him back in the the 90s and he started off by turning my life upside down wrong diagnosis, "lupus told me there were many kinds. Every time I went,lab test his visit cost me over 300$ plus my meds even with insurance. I reviewed this page and OMG!! the negative things that was said is true, from rude staff, to office problems. after spending 2 hours on him he spend 3 mins with me. I was told by and office person to stop taking one drug that was causing me to have severe headaches, then told to restart after the HA went away to see if that was what was the cause of my headache!!! Now I am an RN and I do know something about medictions a reaction is a reaction i guess if I had stop breathing or had severe rash her instructions would have been the same. I have so much more in retrospect I could say and the only reason i went back is because the TRICARE was accepted and I know I had LUPUS and should have been dead, PATIENT BEWARE everything that is negative about him is true.

February 7th, 2012
WOULD NOT RECOMMEND
I have been going to Dr. Gupta for 7 years. He was good at first. Now, he doesn't seem to care about the patients, only the money. He comes into the room and immediately gets out his prescription pad and starts writing out your prescriptions. He very seldom looks at my joints or ask me how I feel. I have rheumatoid arthritis and am on Enbrel Injections once a week. I have been on IV'S and metotrexate which I had severe reactions from. He wants me to go on these studies but they all require the drug methotrexate which I can't take. The last time I saw him he told me he didn't know what else he could do for me because I refused to take the methotrexate.

September 14th, 2011
The Best R A Practice in Memphis TN
Professional and knowledgeable service from doctor. The office staff is nice too. All workers seem eagar to help patients.

July 1st, 2011
Terrible experience!
This doctor gives you blood work every time you see him even if you have been there 2 weeks before. Only takes check or cash. Patient rooms are where ever they can stick you. Xray room, Storage area, etc. Will not call you back. Does not communicate well with patients. Worst experience i have had with a doctor.

March 26th, 2011
Dr. Gupta could not make up his mind of what my disease was. He finally decided it was children's athritis turning into Lupus. He had me so scared after so many of my monthly visits. I was constantly being changed from one med to another until I was taking at least three medicines just prescribed from him. Anytime a medicine didn't work with my body and made me wore out he wanted to increase the dosage instead of getting me off of the med. Dr. Gupta ended up putting me on steriods for over 4 months more than one pill a day which messed my body up. I developed high blood pressure from his medicine. He also caused my body develop Cushings Syndrome or symptoms that are classified as cushings. He has pretty much ruined my trust in doctors. His medicine has caused permanent scarring of my body. He always wanted to do more test or xrays every 2-3 months. I suggest that people do not go to this doctor. Some of the staff are friendly but I wish I could turn back and not have went to him for those 1-2 years.