Dr. Randal West MD Patient Reviews

• Gynecologic Oncology Richmond, VA

• Good
  • Bad

May 12th, 2016
What a rollercoaster ride you are on when you have cancer & not one you are familiar with! While it may be his day to day career, it's not the every day for family of someone diagnosed. He seemed like he was bothered by questions and had terrible bedside manner. He let my sister suffer in incredible pain because he was unwilling to allow palliative care or anyone else to help. In fact, he made her feel bad when she finally chose a hospice doctor. The hospice doctor was amazing and unfortunately only had him for 5 days before her passing. While I don't know that the outcome could have been different with another doctor, I do know, it would have been a much easier ride for her and our family if he had had a little compassion and didn't act as if he was "high and mighty".

August 2nd, 2012
The Best Doctor
Dr. West was very professional and put me at ease immediately during the first visit. He removed the problem. And now I'm healthy. God bless Dr. Randall West!

May 30th, 2012
Mis-diagnosed my conditions more than once....
I spent 22 months of my life in his care. I agreed to surgery because I was told I might have cancer. The surgery went badly. He completely missed the early signs of septic poisoning (high fever and violent vomiting) and sent me home, only to have my colon rupture 3 days later. He also mis-diagnosed a severe allergic reaction to benzoin tincture solution as being just a yeast infection. He repeatedly used benzoinf tincture on my skin whenever I had steri strips. This caused my skin to blister and burn, die and peel off every time he did surgery on me. After a total of 6 hospital stays, 5 surgeries and 22 months of fighting for my life, he had the audacity to tell me all my problems were my fault because I didn't follow his directions! Totally untrue! I left his care with a deep sense of betrail.

March 15th, 2012
very caring doctor!!!!!!!!!!!
Dr. West is very caring doctor. His diagnosis was prompt and accurate. My post op care was very successful and with minimal pain. I am a nurse myself and have worked with many doctors and can truly say he has the best bedside manner I have seen. His staff is also wonderful, I am always greeted with a caring smile.

March 12th, 2012
The Best
I have had cancer twice. He saved my life.He was great, I trust him completely and his staff.

July 25th, 2011
A great deal of medical emergencies transpired which lead me to Dr. West and I am so thankful that they did. I was originally diagnosed with late, stage 4 cancer and given 6mos to a yr to live. I was sent to see Dr. West who was not so eager to accept that diagnoses and after an initial exam thought it to be stage 3 and began treatments. He was very thorough in his plans and working with my radiation team and my chemo team. Unfortunately this method did not work so we ended up having to go with a radical surgical procedure. After which, my biopsies done at time and the margins removed have come back negative for cancer. While, I know I am not out of the woods by a long shot, I am far better off now then I would have been had I not been sent to him. He is as everyone has told me, the best. I am so thankful for him. I feel that I owe him my life.

July 25th, 2011
DO NOT SEE THIS DR!
Dr. West is a mean, arrogant doctor with a God complex and a completely incompetent staff. He deals with women everyday who are literally dying, yet he lacks all compassion. My experience with him was devastating. There are too many brilliant doctors in town to settle. Please trust your health to someone who will care about you.

February 12th, 2011
Wonderful, caring, professional, quick diagnosis and solution
Dr. West took time out of his lunch hour to meet with me. He listened to my medical history and looked over the charts and letter my GYN had sent him. He was quick in determining diagnosis and I was set up for surgery on the same day. Within 2 weeks I was in and out of CJW Hospital following outpatient surgery, where I received wonderful care. He used the da vinca for my surgery which cut my recovery time from 6 weeks to 2 weeks. He came by the hospital before I was released to check on me and sign me out. I highly recommend Dr. West if you need any type of gynecological surgery. Dr. West has steady hands and a caring demeanor.

January 17th, 2011
Great Doctor
I read reviews about this doctor before I met him. Those reviews were negative and had me scared to meet him. Dr. West is absolutely wonderful! He is caring and gentle. I would recommend him to anyone!

November 2nd, 2010
From my observations and interactions during chemotherapy treatments this oncology office appears to have surpassed their capability of providing consistent quality medical care. After diagnosis Dr. West passes you off to chemotherapy nurses. The nurses rapidly blow through the basics of chemotherapy at a lightening pace, they hand out pamphlets and send you on your way. The therapy treatments that follow are equally impersonal and removed. What is even more concerning is the lack of consistency between the doctor and his staff. Dr. West prescribes medications that the chemotherapy nurses counter and advise are not necessary, they do not utilize the port for blood samples nor do they provide a quick and concerned response when there is difficulty receiving chemotherapy treatments.

August 10th, 2017