Surgical Specialist, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Video profile

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Find a different doctor show details Find a different doctor
Feb 23rd, 2016

Doctor needs to find a way not to work with people. Must have failed the compassion and caring part of school. Not a good choice.

Bad choice show details Bad choice
Nov 10th, 2015

He may be a good surgeon but terrible doctor. Treated myself and my family member very abusively. I regretted my choice of him as my doctor. Did not listen nor care what I had to say.

Correctional Sergeant show details Correctional Sergeant
by Tina Y. on Feb 11th, 2015

Dr. Schaefer is doing an awesome job taking care of my work related knee injury. He is on time for appointments, gives me my options and allows me to make the choice. I am extremely happy with his care and would refer others to him. He cares about his patients and takes the time to listen.

Outstanding experience! show details Outstanding experience!
by Corey D. on Jun 22nd, 2014

After reading through the reviews, I choose to make my own to refute some of the negativity. I had two procedures by Dr. Schaefer in 1998 and 1999 and am so pleased with the results I chose him to perform another procedure "if needed". I will find out this week. I appreciate his approach and demeanor which is no nonsense and straight to the point of my visit and condition. I don't desire a physician treating me like his/her new best friend; I desire professionalism. Dr. Schaefer is that: Professional. I also appreciate the way he intensely looks at me and listens as I describe my symptoms and questions. (Former patients understand what I mean) He then provides a complete answer and asks if there are any other concerns. After my last visit 6 weeks ago, I asked his staff if they could recommend a good physical therapist. As they were searching, Dr. Schaefer joined the search using his cellphone because he couldn't think if a particular P/T office was where he remembered it was! I was impressed and not surprised. That demonstrated he genuinely cared about me as a patient and desired the best for me; in my opinion. I recommend Dr. Randall K. Schaefer. (By the way, commenting on the negative.......if you waited a long time, wouldn't you think it's because Dr. Schaefer takes his time with each patient as opposed to rushing them out of the office?)

Knee surgen show details Knee surgen
by Utta Bronson on Apr 24th, 2014

Just wanted to say how happy I am with my new knee. I thought the worst going into having surgery on my knee. Dr Schaefer reassured me that it would fine. I would not have the swelling and pain, that I had before surgery. He is one of the best surgeons and a wonderful man. Thank you again

Quality Care show details Quality Care
by Eldon Ricks on Mar 20th, 2014

After waiting 5 years trying to find a workerscomp surgeon to take my case Dr. Schaefer agreed to do my surgery. After only 3 months I have complete range of motion. At this time I no longer need to have any more follow up visits. He has told me that if I need any additional care he will be happy to provide it.

by S.V. on Feb 2nd, 2014

I've been seeing Dr.Schaefer and his staff for 2 years and would highly recommend him. He also has a wonderful staff supporting him. It was my first surgery and was very nervous about it but seeing the confidence and assurance from his nurses and staff , I felt very much at ease.

Surgery show details Surgery
Aug 6th, 2013

Had my shoulder surgery. Doctor was Early! Procedure went fine. Have a follow up tomorrow and although there is some pain , which is to be expected, I am very satisfied with Dr. Schafer.

What a pro! show details What a pro!
by Jay Czajkowski on Jul 5th, 2013

Within 1 week of injuring my left knee, I was able to get into to see Dr. Schaefer. His staff was courteous and polite and made me feel welcomed. His office was busy, but the wait time was normal compared to other office visits that I have experienced. I certainly didn't feel like it took too long. There's a reason why his office is so busy, and it's because he's so good. Within a few minutes Dr. Schaefer made his diagnosis, then sent me for an MRI to confirm his analysis. Upon my follow up visit, we learned that his initial diagnosis was 100% accurate. I have no idea what the whiners are talking about, "Curt", "No bedside manner", etc... I found it refreshing to have an experienced intelligent surgeon tell me what I NEEDED to hear and not what I WANTED to hear. Maybe it's my law enforcement mentality, but I just wanted to hear the facts. I was fortunate to have Dr. Schaefer perform my left ACL replacement and meniscus trimming. There were absolutley zero complications. I was then referred to Parry Physical Therapy by Schaefer and his staff. They were outstanding as well, and let me know immediately that I would only get out, what I put into it. This was five years ago!!!!I have not missed a beat, and if anything my knee is stronger than it has ever been. Walking, jumping, jogging, twisting, turning, I can do it all thanks to Dr. Schaefer.

Jun 27th, 2013

I am with others on punctuality, it was poor. However, he was very informative in a no nonsense way and I don't need niceties just good professional doctoring. The proof however will be the results of the surgery.

Jun 26th, 2013

Dr. Schaefer is quick, to the point, and no-nonsense. Maybe this is due to his military background. Wait time is longer than I'm used to with other doctors. He is very knowledgeable in his field. Don't expect any sympathy though. His office staff is professional and courteous, every doctor would wish to have them.

This is no care provider! show details This is no care provider!
by The office will know me - unless what they did is common practice. on Jun 11th, 2013

This is no physician care provider for there is no caring! I made an appointment seeing that he specializes in knees because I am certain to have a torn meniscus, and before I was even allowed to keep my appointment and be evaluated, I received a call from the office cancelling my appointment because I have a negative MRI and "the doctor reviewed MRI and Xrays and determined I don't need to be seen by a specialist"!!. I have never heard of such a thing. I sent a message over to the office clarifying facts, that the Doctor could not possibly know since he has not evaluated nor spoken to me and refuses to evaluate - and I received no reply. What kind of doctor behaves in this manner? This is just another of the issues with electronic records I believe. The practitioners read file and base their care on what is found there - whether true or not. Often a care provider gets the facts wrong and then the medical record is wrong forever. My Brother had a torn ACL that did not show up on MRI , however lucky for him, he had physicians who know MRI is not always accurate and that the actual patient assessment bears more weight than the imaging studies. Shame on Dr Schaefer! Calling himself a specialist! NOT

Doctor's Treatment after surgery show details Doctor's Treatment after surgery
May 30th, 2013

Was not happy with the way I was treated after I had shoulder surgery. Sent me back to work less than a week after the surgery when my pain level was a 8, 10 being the worse. I had a very large surgery which required a screw to be placed inside my shoulder to hold rotator cuff and other things in place. Never looked at me until he wanted to see my range of motion. The worse experience I have ever had with any doctor.

Patient 2 show details Patient 2
Aug 13th, 2012

wait time was very long for each of my appointments regardless of appointment time.

Patient show details Patient
Feb 6th, 2012

I am really happy with Dr. Schaefer and his knowledge. Very straight to the point and direct. I am very happy with him and his office staff, all very courtious and caring.

Sep 27th, 2011

I would like to add my comments about Dr. Schaefer after reading the ones that are posted on this site. I was almost afraid to keep my appointment, but I'm sure glad I did. I loved this doctor. He spent as much time with me as I needed. There were no questions that were too dumb for him to answer. He was very conscientious, did a through exam, and even took me to the computer so he could explain what he was seeing on my MRI films. Everything about this office and doctor was wonderful. I have not idea where all the negative comments must have come from. I would highly recommend this doctor.

look for another doctor show details look for another doctor
Sep 22nd, 2010

Dr. Schaefer does not allow enough time once you're (finally) in the examination room to answer any of your questions. He is curt and sharp with his replies and does not give eye contact. He acts like it is an imposition for him to see you. In fact, he has said when asked if I am taking up his time (after 3 minutes with him and he looking at his wristwatch) that I am his last patient and he wants to go home. This at the major surgery post operative appointment. I had 5 minutes total and most of it was for the x-rays. Dr. Schaefer has absolutely no bedside manner. I would look for another surgeon.

Sep 1st, 2010

dr schaefer has a god like air about him which would seem to suggest to me the paitient that, once he has laid hands on you , you should be forever heald. his bedside manner leaves alot to be desired. i will not have him do any further surgeries nor would i reccomend him.