Attending Orthopaedic Surgeon with Expertise in Minimally Invasive Hip and Knee Replacement, and Clinical Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery (University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine

Great job! show details Great job!
by Helen on Apr 8th, 2016

I echo everything that has been said about Dr. Bashyal --- he's terrific. Two pieces of advice for hip patients: 1. fully discuss leg length expectations and realities before surgery; there is a range for "normal" discrepancies and it helps to know ahead of time; 2. go for as much in-patient rehab as you can. I had two weeks and it was wonderful. Two to three hours of therapy every day, lots of people to help you understand all the changes that are occurring in your body every day, and lots of support, assistance with pain management and withdrawal -- it was the right thing for me and I encourage others to strongly consider it.

by Maria & Altaf Waudiwala on Mar 24th, 2016

Dr. Bashyal, office staff was very professional as well the Dr. My husband was very nervous Dr.Bashal spend extra time with him explaining the xrays and what was the next steps for him . I want to thank him n his staff for there wonderful service. .

Feb 26th, 2016

Minimally invasive total hip replacement done 3 weeks ago, am already back to work and all activities, couldn't be happier

total knee replacement star show details total knee replacement star
by Dave W on Jan 24th, 2016

I wholeheartedly agree with the positive reviews here. I run my own auto body shop, and have had worn out knees for a while. I have seen 3-4 other surgeons in the past few years and knew I needed a knee replacement. An employee of mine that had his surgery with Dr bashyal told me I "had to" go see his doc cause he was the best....and he was right. Dr. Bashyal spent time with e and did a great job on the surgery. He also was kind and has a great sense of humor.,

Simply Put: THE BEST show details Simply Put: THE BEST
by Gary P on Jan 23rd, 2016

This may end up being long winded, and I'm not the type to write reviews, but I have been so happy with Dr. Basyal's care that I feel compelled to share. I have had two arthritic hips for many years. I knew hip replacement was in my future. As the father of two doctors (an anesthesiologist and an ortho surgeon specializing in back surgery), I knew the importance of doing my research, and finding the right surgeon for me. I started with my kids, who both work in the north shore area of chicago. Interestingly, the both had Dr. Bashyal at the top of their list. They both said his reputation for great surgery and excellent bedside manner was well known in Chicago, Both had seen the results of his work in some of the patients they cared for, and in fact, my daughter (the anesthesiologist) had actually seen him in surgery when she was a resident rotating through his hospital. The kids both said that his technical expertise was top notch. My next step was talking with some of my friends who had been operated on by Dr. bashyal. They all had the same basic things to say: amazingly fast recovery, no more pain, and a great experience. of the folks I spoke with 3 had knee replacements with Dr. bashyal, and 2 had hips. So I finally made my appointment to see him. The wait was short and his staff were polite, and helpful. Dr. bashyal then came in and spent more than enough time with me. I'm the type of guy that has a million questions, and he patiently sat and answered them all in detail, and with interest. You could tell that he really loves what he does and has a passion for it. Surgery day was something that I was anxious about, but ready for after spending my time with him. (only downside was that I had to wait 6 weeks since he books out a bit). The surgery itself was really no big deal. My family told me he came to let them know he was done after about 45 minutes! I was awake, and up and walking with the physical therapist (Kelly, she was the BEST!) by 1030AM (I was the first surgery of the day for him). I have always been an impatient and active person. I'm retired now, but still take that approach with my activities, especially biking and golfing. It has been 4 weeks since my surgery. And I am back to doing everything. Pain free in my operated hip. Really, the only thing holding me back is my other hip, which I just called to put on the schedule in about 6 weeks from now, Everything about this Dr, is top notch. He made me feel so comfortable, and took such good care of me. I no longer have pain, and only wish I had done this sooner! Thanks Dr. Bashyal and team for getting me back to who I am again, I could not be happier!

the best! show details the best!
by joel w on Jan 18th, 2016

Just had my minimally invasive total knee from Dr. Bashyal, 1 week since surgery, no pain, and I'm already back to everything! Great surgeon, and a really nice person who takes time to talk to his patients

minimally invasive surgery show details minimally invasive surgery
by joan on Oct 8th, 2015

Spectacular experience. Dr. Bashyal saw me as a second opinion. I was told I needed a hip replacement, and was interested in "minimally invasive" options. Dr. Bashyal and his team spent a ton of time with me. I am so glad I decided to go with him - it has only been 3 weeks since my hip replacement, I have no pain, and am doing everything I have been wanting to do for years, but couldn't because of my hip pain!

Amazing! show details Amazing!
by Betty g on Sep 27th, 2015

Amazing doctor. He did a minimally invasive total knee on my husband. And a minimally invasive total hip on me. We are both doing so well, we're finally able to do all the things that we wanted to do. He is such a gentleman, and an amazing surgeon.

Simply the best! show details Simply the best!
by David B. on Jul 8th, 2015

I saw Dr. Bashyal as a second opinion for my hip. The first doctor I saw spent almost no time with me, and didn't explain a thing. One of my close friends had two successful knee replacement surgeries with Dr. Bashyal told me I absolutely had to see him. When I saw Dr. Bashyal, he took the time to explain the whole procedure to me, and go over my rehab etc. I had a minimally invasive hip replacement with Dr. Bashyal 6 weeks ago, and my results have been nothing short of phenomenal. I was walking the SAME DAY as my operation, and went home the next day. By one week, I had no pain. By two weeks I was back to all my daily activities. At six weeks, I am back to regular golf and tennis. It has be amazing. Beyond the actual operation, Dr. Bashyal and his whole team are kind, prepared, and go out of their way to help and answer questions. I am so happy I found him, and have told everyone I know who needs a hip or knee done to go see him. Simply put, he is the BEST!

The best! show details The best!
Jul 8th, 2015

Did an amazing job on my to total knee replacement, and has done amazing minimally invasive hip replacement surgery on my husband.

by Bill on Sep 10th, 2014

I have had a very good experience with Dr. Bashyal. I am a 54 year old active male that, probably through lots of soccer and tennis, needed a total hip replacement on my left side.12 weeks after surgery i was back on the tennis court and playing doubles competitively. Dr. Bashyal has a great manner. He is easy to talk to, explains the options, a genuinely nice very smart guy that doesn't seem to possess the superego that inflicts so many surgeons. Everything went as he told me it would-time in hospital and time till full recovery. If i ever need my right hip done, I wouldn't hesitate to use him. Just two small complaints-firstly,on my first two appointments I was left waiting in the room a long time . I think this happens because he gives his patients as much time as they need, but if you are the the one waiting its frustrating. I resolved this by always booking the first appointment of the day.Secondly, he tended to downplay a bit the need to go to a rehab facility following surgery. If your insurance will cover it, I strongly recommend you do so. I don't think my outcome would have been so good or quick without the proper rehab. In summary, I was very pleased with my decision to go with Dr. Bashyal.

One Hip Done, One to Go show details One Hip Done, One to Go
by Jon Bach on Jun 4th, 2013

Dr. Bashyal put my mind at ease. He has an easy going, reassuring and descriptive nature. No question was below him. He answered all of my questions prior to surgery - the surgery went well - the rehab is going well. After two weeks, he said I'm where most patients are after six weeks - but he stressed I must take the proper amount of time and care to remain on track. I was REALLY stressed out about getting my hip replaced, as I have to get my other one done in 18-24 months. Dr. Bashyal has removed any worries about my other hip now. I HIGHLY recommend him. He's also got a sense of humor - something that resonates with me big time. I use humor to get through tough times.

Great doc! show details Great doc!
Jun 29th, 2012

Wonderful. Took the time to explain everything in detail, and was very knowledgeable.

wonderful show details wonderful
May 14th, 2012

really took the time to explain everything to me - so glad I found him!

awesome show details awesome
Sep 20th, 2011

great guy

Jun 24th, 2011

great experience!

awesome show details awesome
by Anne P on Jun 11th, 2011

I saw Dr. Bashyal last week. What a great young surgeon. amazing credentials, but really took the time to explain my surgery to me, and did a great job. Two of my friends have had their hips/knees done by him, and had similar great experiences, and are now doing great! So glad I found him!

Great Doctor show details Great Doctor
by Dan on May 4th, 2008

Dr. Bashyal is a true gentleman. Great bedside manner, extremely intelligent, and very skilled.