Dr. Reena Talreja-Pelaez MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.4

December 11th, 2013
Lovely doctor, caring and considerate
Dr. Talreja was highly recommended and although I had not had good experiences in the past with female OB/GYN doctors, Dr. Talreja was a perfect choice. I have had multiple problems in the past, a kidney transplant at age 14, 8 bi-lateral hip replacements, one miscarriage, and had my tubes tied. Dr. Talreja listened and attended to every single comment or question I asked, gave solutions, and options to me for my gynecological care. I am 55 years old, menopausal and I did not want any hormones since I have been on prednisone most of my life. She listened to me and took all of my medications into consideration before prescribing anything, gave me natural alternatives for issues I was having, and I love her. I was a former patient of Dr. Kenneth Mulhendorf who retired and that is why I made the switch to Dr. Talreja. I would never leave her.

November 1st, 2012
Excellent physician
Going to the gynecologist is never fun. Dr. Talreja is wonderful. She took the time to talk to me about my medical history and addressed all of my concerns.

April 6th, 2012
Dr. Talreja is fabulous, kind, caring, compassionate!
Dr. Talreja is a well-respected physician in the community. Patients should understand that they don't know more than the doctor. Some patients think they know more than the doctor and diagnose themselves and demand that the doctor perform the surgery THEY want because they educate themselves on Google or Wikipedia. Dr. Talreja went to Vanderbilt according to her profile. If you knew that you had a .26% chance of cancer then why would you worry about it? ANYTIME you have a biopsy it technically COULD be cancer. The staff at Dr. Talreja's practice has always been kind, considerate and shown great courtesy. Dr. Talreja is kind, compassionate and knowledgable. She gives you all the options and patiently explains each one and helps guide you to make a decision, as any good physician should because SHE IS THE DOCTOR!!!!Some people think doctors should not have a personal life. Doctors are people too and should not have to cancel their vacations because someone is postop.

September 24th, 2011
Poor bedside manner. No discussion or flexibility in care.

July 21st, 2011
Arrogant and Condescending - should not be a doc
I had already been diagnosed with tumors on my uterus that were causing severe back pain and blocking my rectum. I selected Dr. Talreja as others had recommended the practice and her surgical nurse said that she had performed more of the myomectomies in the practice. I had to wait over a month to get in to see her. Once there she only wanted to recommend a hysterectomy as I was 49 and probably done raising children. She was dismissive to the point of condescension and eye-rolling about my preference to avoid hysterectomy as is would cause the death of my ovaries years sooner and expose me to a much higher risk of osteoporosis (very bad in my family) and put my on synthetic hormones (raises risk of breast cancer). I had to point blank ask if she would refuse to do the myomectomy (just removing the tumors). She tried to scare me into the hysterectomy by saying I might have cancer (leiomyosarcoma) and conveniently left out that the chance of it being cancer was less than 0.26%. I went through with using her for a surgeon as I was in incredible pain as time went on and I did not feel I could wait to go through this whole process again with another surgeon. Also, I felt confident that her arrogance about her stats in the OR would override her disgust with me as a patient who dared to question her recommendation.After surgery, she said she spoke with me...as I was still under the effects of the anesthesia I have no recollection of this and as I was still intubated even had I been fully conscious I would not have had the opportunity to ask questions. It was not until 10 p.m. that evening that she came in to see me and discuss my surgery and only after I had repeatedly called her service as I knew she was leaving to go out of town the next day. At that point, she said things went fine.My pathology report came in the next day, but as she was out of the office, no one bothered to contact me...after 5 days I called the office to be told that I definitively did not have cancer. Had I not called I could have been in suspense for even longer. While this is not illegal, I find it callous to tell someone they might have cancer and then let them wait for days wondering about their future when they could have relief the day after surgery.At the post-op followup a few weeks later, again, everything was "fine"...on my way out the door she handed me the operative report which I read on the way home in the car. It stated that during the removal of one of the tumors one of my fallopian tubes had been severed and left that way. While we all have to sign waivers acknowledging that one of the risks is damage to other organs, I find it unconscionable that no mention was ever made to me. Nor did she ever mention that she drained an asymptomatic ovarian cyst while she was in there to the tune of an additional $1400.Essentially, I felt like a piece of meat with a credit card that she could bill on her way out of town.Healthcare in this country is broken but docs like this make things even worse. I have had other wonderful surgeons in my life with whom to compare and while technical competence is crucial, bedside manner is key. People do not remember exactly what you did for them but how you make them feel. Until women stop behaving like sheep and letting docs select the quickest, most $$ procedures and scaring them into them, we will do so many unnecessary hysterectomies in this country and needlessly drive up medical costs. As consumers of medical services we have a responsibility to question the recommendations of docs and the right to understand the logic of their recommendations and the costs to us, our insurance co and our society.

May 24th, 2011
Dr. Talreja Is the best!
My experience with Dr. Talreja has always been perfect. She is very attentive, spent more time with me that what was scheduled, and even called me the next day to check on me after my surgery. The office staff is very sweet and personable. The one time I had a problem with a billing issue the office took care if it immediately. Very professional and well-run office.

May 17th, 2011
The Worst!
Dr. Talreja is the worst doctor! She delivered my first baby and was so rude. she was rolling her eyes at me the entire time I was pushing and making rude and very inapropriate comments. After my son was born, she just floped him on me and didn't say a word. I asked a few questions about my delivery, placenta, tear, and her answer to everything was "all you need to know..." and would not explain any of it. She rushed reparing me and I need a reconstructive major surgery afterwards! With another practice, of course. Oh, and she was pushing for a C-section just because she wanted to get it done faster! The baby showed no signs of distress and I was fine too, so it would've been totally unecessary. Her bedside manners are awful.During my regular prenatal visits she'd space out and would purposely not answer any of my questions. She always had an attitude. Ugh... hate that I did not listen to my instincts and ended up delivering with this practice and her. DO NOT GO TO THIS DOCTOR!

November 12th, 2010
rude and could care less what you need or want. Should not be a doctor. You definitely feel like she is trying to rush off and leave you hanging. She seems loopy all the time.

October 7th, 2009
just plain rude and absolutely spends no time with you, I felt uncomfortable and rushed. She was spacing out most of the time and did not answer my questions in a friendly manner