Dr. Regina Phillips MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.2

May 21st, 2015
after she gains your trust, then when you go back you will see her nurse, performs the procedure & when you get the bill & insurance papers, they have her listed in doing the procedure. That increase my bill by thousand dollars, which my insurance pay a majority of it, then rest is on me to pay. I ask her, why ? She inform me that she get her office manager toblook into it. Which, nothing was done. She got me on highly control pain meds, when I went back to see her, she was not there; her nurse print out the prescription do not know who sign her name on them. I just ask my neurologist. & let him know what going on, refer me to someone else. Since, then she move to another location. So, please. Check your insurance papers make sure you getting bill correctly.

October 23rd, 2012
Left patients with no notice.....
I called the office to confirm my appointment day and time. I was told that Dr. Gilliland was having to reschedule her appointments. I was transferee to a nurse. She told me that the doctor had left the practice. And would I like to see her nurse for refills. I did. I arrived that day was given my prescription. That's it. I asked what happened with the doctor. I was told she just left for personal reasons. There was no last appointment to finish with patients. I was given a list of 5 or 6 doctors and told to pick one. There was no specific recommendation, just eenie meenie minee mo.

October 8th, 2012
She left her patients not once but twice without a dr. She didn't even contact her patinets the first time and the 2nd time she sent a letter and I made an appointment with her and waited there an hour only to be told that since it had been 6mths since I saw her she wouldn't see me! Really?? So unprofessional. Several times she or her staff called i the wrong meds fro me and I had to pay a very high price b/c it was mail order and you can not return or refuse mail order meds. They basically said oh well! I don't know where she is practicing now but stir clear of her.

June 30th, 2012
Like her lots!
have LBP due to osteoarthritis of entire spine however the lumbar is severe. Have rt total hip replacement X3. Back & neck surgeries as well. Referred by ortho physician to Dr. G.A lot of paper work to complete 'prior' to appt date. I can see however why this is necessary. I am glad that this town now has a physician who specializes in treatment of pain. A physiatrist is an MD who treats the 'whole' patient not just the symptoms. I have seen her twice and hope all goes as well as it has. I must say that my LBP is much better w/the regimen that I am now on. She is very thorough w/exam and explanation of what is going on in my body that results in the pain that I have. I also have a spinal cord stimulator in place and she believes that this helps as well. I do too! Glad she & her staff are here. Her nurse told me to call her over the week end if I had any problems. Wow that is nice to know that she was available to me via phone if I needed her.

June 18th, 2012
Office policies very bad for patients
The "office policies" are not designed for the benefit of the patient. They are totally unreasonable. They make the office visits a grueling task, and most especially for someone who is in a lot of pain. You would hope that a pain doctor would do everything possible to make her office policies and patient care as pleasant as possible for her patients that already suffer so much.

January 14th, 2012
69 yr old patient
I've been going to Dr. Gilliland for around five years. When I went to her I was having pain all over my body and had gone to several drs with no results. Two weeks after seeing Dr. G. I had no more pain. She took a lot of time to talk to me each time I saw her. Since I had no changes I was asked if I would be comfortanble seeing nurse at the next visit (6 mos)and then seeing the Dr. at the 12 mo. visit. I did and have no problems with that. When needed, the nurse did go out of the room to ask the dr a question that I had. The only problem that I have now is that when I called to confirm my appt. in Dec. I was told that she had closed her practice and that I was being referred back to my primary dr. to be referred out to another pain specialist.

December 1st, 2011
Amazing doctor!!! I have been to more doctors than I can count looking for a diagnosis to my severe neck and shoulder pain. Most of the doctors said it was all in my head. Dr. Gilliland is the only one that diagnosed and is now successfully treating me. Love her

September 20th, 2011
So Sad About My Experience
I always thought Dr. G was very caring & wanted to help her patients until I was told by one of her staff that the reason she will not perform a service & give out prescriptions was because she could not charge for writing the prescriptions, so she has her patients come another day (& another charge). That was quite a revelation. Dr. G has the ability to be the kindest person in the world, but make no mistake about it, if she wants to, she can be cold and cruel and she will terminate your appointment even if you are not late and then you are told you have to be there 15 minutes before your appointment. Now, in my world, an appointment is an appointment and if I bring in all paperwork completed, I don't see how I can be required to have an "appointment" before my "appointment" or I will not be seen. The rules are subject to change without notice, as I was not aware of that "rule" until it was used to intimidate me. I will not write the details of everything that happened to me as a patient, but be very aware that things are not as they seem. If you are diagnosed and need to go for prescriptions, you will most likely be fine, if you are on time. If you need more, things can change very quickly. I am very disappointed with my whole experience and my personal physician said he will never recommend her again to any of his patients.I wanted to feel connected to her and it saddens me greatly to find out the real truth. For those of you who have had good reports, I am glad and I was right there with you once upon a time. Now, I know how things can be after a long relationship with her practice.I am not a person who gets into altercations or has problems getting along with the people I trust my care to. I am a professional and I have worked as a Counselor, so I know what I am speaking of. If you could see the pain in my heart, you would know how much it saddened me to find out the truth & how negative things occur when there are problems.

October 19th, 2010
Best Doctor Yet
I have been to many doctors over the past year and a half with pain in my joints and muscles. After seeing Dr. Gilliland, she sat down and talked to me for and hour telling me what was going on inside my body. I would recommend her to anyone, I think she's the GREATEST!

October 16th, 2010
The Best Dr. Ever!!
I have numerous problems with my neck and back including permanent nerve damage, post surgical scar tissue pressing on my nerves, & spinal arachnoiditis (a debilitating disease causing your nerves in your back to clump together). I have seen many doctors regarding my painful condition, but Dr. Gilliland is by far the BEST doctor in Mobile, and in my opinion the best Doctor I've seen ever. Like a previous reviewer said, she has an incredible caring bedside manner. She listens to you and spends quality time with you trying helping to find the best treatment options available. She is a class act! I have never had a problem with her staff, I think they are extremely courteous and helpful. Her staff members even call you the day before your appointment to remind you. This is an incredibly courteous service I appreciate since many of my appointments are made three months in advance. I have been 5 minutes late myself and the doctor nor her staff treated me the way this previous reviewer says. They are very nice people and if you are 5 minutes late that is never a problem. Her staff in my opinion is one of the best. She is also one of the best and I feel privileged I get to see such a quality doctor in Mobile.

October 9th, 2010
The staff constantly changes appointments and does not make the patient's aware of the changes either at all, or in a timely fashion.She is extremely strict about patients being on time, yet she never is on time and does not allow for any types of emergencies, etc.The office staff leaves a lot to be desired. While some are very kind, they just do not seem capable of running a fast paced office and I have seen many, many blunders created by them.The doctor seems very well read and able to pinpoint the things wrong with the patient. I just wish she could do the same thing with her office staff and start over with reliable people.The doctor has a very caring bedside manner that is second to none.The office has into place a program wherein you sometimes see the nurse and sometimes see the Doctor. The nurse doesn't seem to be able to answer questions, and she doesn't excuse herself and go and check with the doctor on your behalf, so the appointment is virtually useless, except to get prescriptions.If you can muddle through the red tape of getting an appointment and actually seeing the doctor instead of the nurse, follow up is great. Otherwise, you may as well go to another doctor.My office wait time has always been extremely long. Since I accommodate her when she is late, I feel that she should accommodate me should I ever be late (which has not happened in the months I have been under her care).There always seems to be an air of a threat, that if you do not follow her policies completely, then she can find many more patients who will and certain staff members make sure you are painfully aware of this through bullying techniques. But, she seems oblivious to the ineptitude of her staff and the way her patients are actually treated and so therefore, cannot show any empathy toward them.So, she is a great doctor, who can treat patients well, but her office staff causes so much stress that her already ill patients become more ill when they go to her.

May 24th, 2010
Don't even be 5 minutes late!
I did not get to see my Dr. today. I was 5 min late,when I parked I made sureto call front desk and tell them I'm there that I couldn't find a parking space. She verified that the time was my appointment time to the minute but she'll have to ask the Dr. If she could still see me. It took me 5 minutes exactly to get in her waiting room and sign up. I guess she wanted to make an example of me because after 1 hour & 10 minutes the nurse finally called me back. I didn't know until I got my prescription that I wasn't getting to speak with her (dr.) I specifically told the nurse I had hip pain and nerve pain and I needed to see about that. I was then told my prescriptions is up front and schelduled me in for 2 wks later on top of my reg visit 3 months! I'm not paying another copay to her when she should have seen me. She lied and tried to tell me I was 20 min late but I guess she didn't realize the lady answering the phone talk with me about the time. I can't believe I -as a patient- didn't get to see the Dr knowingI needed to! I guess she didn't care to much about my medical needs. It looks like I might be finding a different Dr.