Dr. Rene Eng Is this you?

3.8

Have you seen Dr. Rene Eng?

Wonderful caring doctor

Posted on February 10th, 2016

I've been a patient of Dr. Eng for several years. He has always been very patient, addressing all my concerns and questions. He is a wonderful and technically skilled doctor and I have no reservations referring my family and friends to see him!

GI bleeding after endoscopy

Posted on October 13th, 2015

Very unethical doctor. My mom went in for an endoscopy procedure. She declined sedation so the medical assistant only spray a tiny bit of lidocaine that barely touched her throat and she was in so much pain and discomfort during the procedure she was all out of breath after it was done. After the procedure he explained to my mom that her stomach wall looks fine, no inflammation or any presence of ulcers or abnormal growth, and he took a tissue sample for a biopsy. No one explained to my mom any post-endoscopy care or complications that could happen after an endoscopy, except soft pureed diet for a few days. On that same night my mom had a bowel movement with soft black tarry stools, and then 12 hours later she had 3 more bowel movements with pure black tarry watery stools and could taste a bloody metallic in her mouth. She’s basically having upper GI bleeding after the endoscopy. My mom called Dr. Eng, he told her to return to his office to see what is wrong and the bleeding could be due to the biopsies he took for FIVE different testings. This was a surprise, because he never told my mom he was going to get biopsy samples for FIVE different tests and if he told my mom her stomach is normal, why all these unnecessary testing and he did them without notifying or explaining to my mom the purpose of these tests. As we were about to head out, he called again and told my mom it’s best she go to the ER, and then a few min later he called again telling us to go to his office instead. To be on the safe side, I took my mom to the ER. They took some blood to make sure her hemoglobin levels are still within normal range and also took some stool samples. The fecal sample is tested positive for presence of blood but her hemoglobin is still within normal range. I gave out Dr.Eng’s phone to the ER staff and I presumed they called him about my mom’s condition. Dr. Eng called my mom telling her the ER doctors just spoke to him and told him she’s not actually bleeding and her stools aren’t black, just brown. The nerve of this man making such lies! My mom was admitted to the unit overnight and was being monitor for any further blood loss. Her hemoglobin went from 12-11 but remained at 11 after a few more blood tests, which indicated that bleeding has stopped. Dr.Eng called my mom the next day, and told her the bleeding was nothing serious since she didn’t need a blood transfusion. So instead of apologizing and stating how unfortunate this had happened, he tried to cover up for himself, and made excuses that the bleeding has nothing to do with the endoscopy. Horrible, horrible.

Great doctor

Posted on October 2nd, 2015

This practice was highly recommended to me by several friends. Dr. Eng and his staff were great, explaining everything to me and arranging for diagnostic tests. My endoscopy and other tests went smoothly and I already feel a lot better after diagnosis and treatment.

WOKE UP DURING ENDOSCOPY AND TOLD ME I WAS DREAMING

Posted on September 12th, 2015

My complaint about this doctor is that during my endoscopy, I was suppose to be under anesthesia but I woke up in the middle and gagged profusely while the equipment was down my throat. When I awoke (they must have raised the dose or something), I told them I woke up, what happened. They laughed I said I was asleep, I must've been dreaming. I am appalled that they tried that route. I was persistent that I was awake because I gagged so much I had the urge to throw up and he said (looking at his computer because he couldn't make eye contact), that I tolerated it and it's went well. So there is admission there and he is downplaying it. When he sensed my dissatisfaction at the end, Dr Eng made clear that he isn't down playing "it" (meaning that something wrong happened because I woke up). So unless you want to gag and feel the most uncomfortable during your endoscopy, I wouldn't recommend him. Mostly for not taking responsibility and trying to make me sound crazy. I even said the tube was orange and he showed me the picture and said, "See it's black, so there's some discrepancy." There were TWO things down my throat. Shame on you!

wonderful doctor in Chinatown

Posted on May 25th, 2011

I just got back from my appointment with Dr. Eng, and the first thing I'm doing is writing a review. I hope that speaks to just how positive my experience with him was. After calling 10 different Gastroenterologists around the city, all of who were unable to see me for weeks, I called Dr. Eng's office and got an appt the next day. His facility caters to primarily Chinese patients, and his some members of his staff speak slightly broken English, out all are courteous, attentive, professional, and nice. The facility itself is very clean and modern--one of the nicest I've seen. And Dr. Eng himself was wonderful. He took the time to let me talk about my symptoms, never rushed me (as so many other NYC doctors do), and was very thorough. I felt like I was in very good, caring hands. I can't say if he diagnosed my issue correctly, because he had to send me off for further testing. But I have no doubt that he has the skills and experience to give patients correct diagnoses. Just a great experience all around.

Posted on March 18th, 2017