Physiatrists, Pain Management Specialist
5823 Widewaters Pkwy
Ste 1
East Syracuse, NY 13057
315-701-4000
Locations and availability (2)

2.0

Apr 28th, 2014

The bad reveiews agree with my experience. I feel she was cold and uncaring. Would never go back

|  poor  |  show details
by chris on Apr 16th, 2014

If you ask for pain meds she says she is not a drug dealer.yet if she explained her philosophy on treating pain in your initial visit it would have been more helpful. So now because I asked for pain meds now im labeled a druggie and a problem patient.

|  Awsome  |  show details
by Bobbie F. on Oct 22nd, 2013

I have visited Dr Melfi's office twice for injections. She is very compassionate and took the time to talk and review all my options. She had rally been a godsend, Her staff is awesome. Vicky is the best. A real sweetheart that makes you feel comfortable and is also very compassionate Thanks to all Bobbie. .

Jul 12th, 2013

Kind of a dry snotty cold matter of fact woman that really displays little care for your individual story or situation. Did get me in for treatment pretty quick. Explanation before or after and options was pretty non specific and was kinda like I was putting her out to even to expect anything from her. I got the distinct feeling that she did not like me.

|  a God send  |  show details
Jun 19th, 2013

Very skilled at relieving pain. Compassionate personality. Staff is caring and good at what they do. Straight forward and to the point. I would recommend her to help anyone with pain control issues.

Feb 25th, 2013

Worst doctor I have ever been too. I have 20 years of cronic pain. She interrupted me several times, was arrogant and minimized all my symptoms. She advised me to seek counseling to gain better "coping skills". She never let me explain the hour of physical therapy I do almost daily as well as the stretching, diet, anti-depressants, and various pain management tools scattered around my home. I was insulted and will never see her again. She needs to find another profession such as working with prison inmates!!!

Aug 24th, 2012

ive seen dr melfi 3x i dont feel she should be in pain management as she does not know n realize the pain n sufferring people go thru when they are injured or sufferring from another condition take this med not good enough tell her about it n u get well heres the cup go pee in it n u know we have to get u off these meds well guess what doc if we need them then u should do your job correctly n make sure we dont have to suffer but u dont care cause u r not us hope someday u r in our place and suffer like we do n u have the dr treat u like u do to us

Aug 11th, 2012

There was a huge spike in bad ratings on this Doctor in the Fall of 2011, when a previous business partner left to practice at a competitors office. Ever since then, there has been a character assassination campaign attempting to sabotage every aspect of Dr. Melfis practice. The negative comments are by competing doctors. The attack is obvious, transparent, and shameful. Ever since they started this attack, the reviews are pure rubbish.

|  No bedside manner  |  show details
Jul 25th, 2012

Very arrogant and condecending. Does not explain what is going on or discusses the results of tests that were performed.

May 31st, 2012

Very arrogant and condisending. Miserable.

|  Rude and not compasionate  |  show details
May 7th, 2012

I saw Dr. Renee Melfi after being referred by my GP. I had already had multiple Xrays and an MRI scan on my back. I was diagnosed with 4 herniated discs ranging from my cervical spine down to my thoracic. Dr. Melfi reviewed my scans and neglected to realize that my principle area of complaint (thoracic spine) was missing images. This issue was only discovered months later after seeing another spine specialist. I contacted the imaging company and they burned another disc. Dr. Renee Melfi also prescribed an antidepressant to manage my pain. I expressed my concerns at the time of appointment and she told me absolutely nothing about the medication. A week later, after experiencing some negative side effects, I contacted the office and spoke to a nurse. I told her I could not handle to medication and wished to stop taking it. Dr. Melfi called me back the next day and told me that I had no other options and that I had to take this medication. This is not the appropriate was to handle patients who are dealing with chronic pain and injury. Her approach was rude and inconsiderate and I believe she is in the wrong field. I've seen over 10 doctors in the last 2 years and she was the absolute worst. Rude, abrasive, careless.

|  Careless, Money hungry!  |  show details
Apr 14th, 2012

I was referred to Dr Melfi by my surgeon. Scheduled a app (closest app over a month away) just to tell me two weeks before my app that she wont see because i couldnt afford my 60 copay up front. not willing to do payments. will not work with you at all! My surgeon pulled me out of work 4 months ago and im awaiting disability. Staff and nurses i spoke to were nice at first until they realize you have no money than they treat you like sh*t! Shame on you Dr. Melfi! I thought being a dr or a nurse is cause you want to help people, ha! All you care about is getting that check! pick another profession cause obviously this one is not for you! doctor caring=treat patients and your most def missing the caring part of that equation. should def unthaw that ice cold heart in your chest before you go on and continue "treating" patients!

|  referal for hip/back pain  |  show details
Apr 5th, 2012

poor communication regarding the appts. what they are for, i.e.inj. or follow up or just a consultation. This is a reflection on her by way of her office staff...she is very business like and to the point. Her nurse is amazing, she is well worth the visit to the office, very helpful and pleasant, great sense of humor and very knowledgeable.

|  Excellent  |  show details
Feb 13th, 2012

Dr. Melfi took the time to listen to me describe my pain and explained what my options were. She gave me an injection and I was feeling better in less than an hour. When I didn't think I had any options, Dr. Melfi really took care of me.

|  Horrible.  |  show details
Feb 4th, 2012

This doctor has some serious attitude issues. If you go to this doctor be prepared to feel like you are nothing but a paycheck. She could not act more disrespectful and arrogant than she did. I felt totally neglected. She explained almost nothing to me and when I would ask her questions she acted extremely annoyed with me.

|  If you have options, see ANYONE else  |  show details
Nov 27th, 2011

Shame on you Renee. You are in a position to do an incredible amount of good--or harm. People seek out a "professional" like yourself because they are in pain and, often frightened. Your clear and consistent choice to treat them poorly demeans us all. Use your significant resources and pursue another career--Please, on behalf of patients (also known as people) everywhere that may come to you for help, consider another path in life. Think of all the pain you could manage without even lifting a finger.

Nov 12th, 2011

condescending. should have realized caliber of care given empty waiting room.

|  Worst Dr. I have ever been referred to  |  show details
Oct 20th, 2011

Absolutely no bedside manners, when not available/accessible has no back-up in case of emergency and her office staff are just as bad with patient courtesy/compassion.

|  took the time to help me relieve my neck pain  |  show details
Aug 31st, 2011

Dr. Melfi was one of the first doctors to thoroughly review my past history and completely examine my back, shoulder, and neck. Dr. Melfi was able to find the root cause of my neck and back pain and get me back to full steam. Dr. Melfi and her office staff took the time to teach me daily exercises to do so my flare ups are not as frequent or as bad.Prior to Dr. Melfi I saw several other doctors who tried to help with my neck and back pain. Dr. Melfi was the first who looked at all the pieces of the puzzle to get me back to normal.

Aug 26th, 2011

Appears arrogant. Talks over you. Doesn't let you finish your sentences.

Apr 6th, 2011

My mother-in-law went to see Dr Melfi. She uses a walker and was alone. It was pouring down rain outside. Dr. Melfi stopped what she was doing, asked for mother's car keys, ran out in the rain and pulled her car to the door. She had her staff walk my mother out to the car with an umbrella. I have never heard of a Dr. doing such a selfless, caring thing. What an angel.

|  Your A Bother  |  show details
Aug 25th, 2010

Well i have another appt in a different office 8/26/2010,might be my last one.Yes she does not make eye contact,facial expressions says alot.She makes you feel like you are a bother to her.But if i still cont to feel like a bother believe me tomm i will ask for my file before i leave.I will take my BUSINESS elsewhere.I am fortunate and have 2 insurances there is better understanding physicians out there that CARE!!!

Aug 18th, 2010

She gave me 2 injections and my pain is gone. I didn't even feel her doing them. I have had injections in my back from 3 other doctors and Dr Melfi is by far the best.

May 8th, 2010

Dr. Melfi answered all of my questions and spend time making sure I understood the treatment. She treated my pain and I am pain free after just a few visits. I would strongly recommend this doctor.

May 5th, 2010

Best in the city. Highly recommend Dr Melfi

Jan 9th, 2010

as a nurse who has been through 10 years of pain and my masters in this specialty, I really was appalled at her behavior, she should have her visits taped, she cares more about making money than taking care of a suffering patient who has tried every treatment in the book. I had two Drs send me for a consult, but she was more worried about my insurance. I am a millionaire, but money doesn't buy comfort or respect. She did not like the meds I had scrips for, but she never asked how much I took or provide my Dr. with a second opinion as my physician had asked for. cold as ice.

|  Poor bedside manner  |  show details
Oct 1st, 2009

She's cold. Shows little care about patient's feelings. Wanted to continue procedure even though I was yelling it hurt and asking it to stop.