Dr. Richard Bernstein DO Patient Reviews

• Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Aptos, CA

3.4

October 7th, 2011
Worst patient care I have ever received
Lack of interest in anything other than attempting to convince me I needed all of these super expensive treatments including his Spinemed machine which was actually contraindicated for my particular medical problems. Several things the office manager informed me were no extra costs turned out to be untrue and the bills and costs and charges billed for were complete misrepresentations. Things supposedly turned out not to be and treatments I never ever had were billed to my insurance. Very deceptive and fraudulent medical practices and several attempts to convince you in the urgency of his extremely expensive machines that cause more harm than good.

March 27th, 2011
Excellent Osteopathic Manipulation and Pain Management
A friend suggested Dr. Bernstein might help me deal with my chronic pain and severe bursitis. I actually wasn't very hopeful since my other doctors didn't seem to have any new ideas; having run through the list of medications over the years, my rheumatologist's remaining suggestion was Viocodin; and since I wasn't willing to live an "altered" life on Vicodin, I was pretty miserable using ineffectual OTC pain relievers and various supplements to try to address my discomfort. Dr. Bernstein listened to my concerns, evaluated my conditions, explained the reasons for the pain, and helped me accept that a pain medication on top of my RX anti-inflammatory was my best course. He prescribed a medication that I am tolerating very well (no side effects) and is keeping me 90% pain-free. He also prescribed patches that I can use on my hips so I can sleep at night when the bursitis is bad; NOT ONE of my other doctors (not the rheumatologist, the general practitioner, the physiatrist, the orthopedic surgeon, or the two physical therapists) suggested these patches, and they are miraculous for me. Dr. B took me from miserable and approaching hopelessness to very comfortable within a couple of months. And it feels like I have only improved over the last year as my body has adjusted to the fact that I really am pain-free now. What a gift!All of the above doesn't even get to the fact that he is incredibly skilled at osteopathic manipulation. I go to him when my alignment feels off, and he very gently moves me back into the places my body belongs -- from my head to the soles of my feet.Fortunately, he takes my insurance; so all my visits are very affordable.I highly recommend Dr. Bernstein! Seeing him changed the quality of my life.

December 18th, 2010
Money, money and more money is their motto
They claim they will only bill you for certain things and then after the services the bill is padded like an eskimo in Alaska. Very poor patient care and horrendous office communications with patients.

November 20th, 2010
A must see doctor!
I had the plesure of being Dr. Bernsteins patient for about 6 months. He was the only doctor that I have every been to that looked at me like an individual instead of a like everyone else! He catered to every need I had and accutally cared about me. I am very sad I moved and lost him as a doc.... If any one has any kind of back problems he is the man to see. I give Dr. B 10 thumbs up!

November 18th, 2010
Best Doctor Ever
Dr B. is a great Doctor. The moment you step into his office you are at ease. Look for your first visit to be an experience you have never experienced with any other Doctor. He actually takes the time to listen to everything you have to say and then spends the time asking deeper questions into your concerns. His staff is so helpful with insurance paperwork and upfront about all the costs involved, don't expect any surprises in your bills. He has a great team of professionals working in his office, massage and physical therapy. I couldn't be happier with my time spent with him. I refer my family and my friends to him.

November 8th, 2010
He's Wonderful!
I HAVE BEEN GOING TO DR. BERNSTEIN AS NEEDED FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS. MY EXPERIENCES HAVE BEEN CONSISTENTLY GOOD-UPBEAT OFFICE STAFF, TRAINED PROFESSIONAL MASSAGE AND PHYSICAL THERAPISTS, AND A TRULY CARING AND COMPASSIONATE DR. IN ADDITION TO DR. BERNSTEINS BEDSIDE QUALITIES, HE IS AN EXCELLENT DIAGNOSTICIAN AND "HANDS ON HEALER" A TRUE GIFT!DR. BERNSTEIN APPEARS TO HAVE THE UTMOST OF INTEGRITY, ENGAGEMENT, AND MEDICAL KNOWLEDGE. I TRUST HIM WITH MY LIFE.

October 10th, 2009
Office Manager Runs the Show & Constantly Gives Misinformation, & is Rude Beyond Belief
From first phone call office mgr argued I had to pay $500 upfront for chiro and PT deductible and even argued with my health insurance company when I called back with them onlyne for a 3 way call. Since then has done everything in her power to sabatage and give me incorrect info such as sending me to hospital for an MRI she claimed she set up and called ahead as a walk in only for me to go to hosp to find out she never scheduled it. I ended up being late for my appt with one of practitioners and called her to say I would be approx 15 min late for a 90 min appt that was reserved for me. When I was 20 min late and not 15 she informed the practitioner I was going to be a "no show" and he could go home and come back to the office for his next 90 minute appt that was scheduled for directly after mine. I would have been at the office just a few minutes later, she knew I was rushing to get back from her wild goose chase, and she informed me I would be charged a cancellation fee which is a higher fee then the appt even tho I did not cancel. Her voicemail left on my iPhone which shows the real time she called me states it was a later time then it actually was. She was her usual rude and verbally abusive self when I spoke with her of course denying she repeatedly told me she set up the MRI as a walk in the standard way according to her. She refused to allow me to leave voicemail for the DO stating he wasn't there. I called back and again stated I wished to leave him a voicemail and she then admitted he was there and would ask him. After being placed on hold for an inordinate amount of time I explained in what may or may not have been his mailbox what occurred. I also emailed them both with a iphone snapshot of the incoming call from his office to my phone came in when the office mgr sent home the other practitioner saying I would be a no show and stating on my voicemail it was a later time then it was. Both the DO and the office mgr message came back as undeliverable. The actual reason given was "email recipient does not like the sender". Highly unprofessional coming from a professional medical office!!Additionally, this physician has directly witnessed the extremely abrasive manner and tone in which his office manager speaks to me and yet, on one ocassion in particular. His reaction when she acts this way is to back up whatever she wants in a more diplomatic tone despite it was something he was providing for me regarding a mdical decision. Obviously, at least on a couple of ocassions with me, despite any formal medical training she has that I know about she calls some of the shots medically speaking as well. This concerns me as I never hired her to provide medical care for me yet when she throws one of her little tantrums my doctor gives in to her and let's her have her way and changes my medical plan. Very weird, troubling and disturbing dynamics amongst staff in that office and it effects their dynamics with me as a patient.

May 14th, 2009
Unsatisfied
I was very disapointed with my experience with Dr. Bernstein. After about 3 or 4 appointments he told me that my only option was to use his very expensive ($4,000 not covered by insurance) traction machine. Other that this, he said that I would not get better. When I went to get a second opinion and asked him to send my records to the doctor, the office/dr. bernstein, never did so. I called at least 7 times about getting the records sent. I never received a call from the doctor about why the records were not sent. My good experience at the practice was with Melissa who was an excellent Rolfer. I do not suggest seeing Dr. Bernstein.