Dr. Richard Blosser MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.2

March 17th, 2015
Utterly Disappointed
Was in the ER twice & finally admitted overnight in Fair Oaks hospital after 5 days of discomfort. Was instructed by ER to make an appt. with Dr Blosser ASAP & to tell him the ER said so. That didn't seem to matter, i had to argue, while crying in pain to get an appt for that day. Was seen by another Dr in the practice & was told to go back to the hospital & Dr Blosser would be able to examine me the following day through the hospital. 7 days of pain & discomfort & I finally get a CT scan and my appt for an EGD. Excitement was short lived though. CT was first, my actual EGD isn't for 17 hours. I was made to sign a waiver in front of a nurse explaining that Dr. Blosser will describe everything he's going to do before he does it & he will also sign the waiver stating he did so. HE did NOT go over anything with me before hand, even after saying to him "I was under the impression that you would be explain to me what's about to happen?" His abrupt reply was "we'll discuss after".......ummm ok? We'll not only was their NO discussion before or AFTER, Dr Blosser seemed to have disappeared from the building before I was out of recovery, in fact the entire department pretty much went home. I was dismissed from the hospital two hours later, being told I have a hiatal hernia, not exactly sure what that means because still no follow up from Dr Blosser and the attending physician didn't have the information herself to tell me. I did notice that he was so kind to fraudulently sign the waiver stating he explained the procedure & spoke to me. It was also so very kind to awake from the procedure with my results just throw on my lap with a post it note stating "patient copy." We were told by numerous nurses that he would be out to speak with me as soon as i was in recovery.....he was nowhere to be found. Multiple nurse attempted to get ahold of ANYONE in the GI dept.....apparently I was the last case for the day & they all just rolled out once I was done. I'm supposed to follow up with him in the next week...yeah right like that'll happen. I'll go to someone who actually cares. Terrible bedside manner, and gives the impression that he's there just for the money

May 9th, 2013
I had abdominal pain for a while, so i decided to go see a GI specialist and heard from a friend about Dr. Blosser. I saw the PA and she was very helpful and nice and made an appointment for upper endoscopy and ordered an ultra sound. I did my ultra sound and when I went for my endoscopy, I saw dr. Blosser for about a min after the procedure and he told me I had bile reflux and he has to wait for my ultra sound results and will call me. He never called me, My husband and I kept calling his office for 3 days in a row and 5 to 6 times and each time the receptionist would transfer us to his nurse's voicemail. finally the third day he left me a message and said he was still waiting for my ultra sound results. We personally picked up the results and took it to his office. then he ordered another test(HIDA scan) which i did the same week and kept calling again to find out about the results and any treatment. I left numerous messages for his nurse and even emailed her. Finaly the 11th day, I complained to the receptionist and told her I was not going to hangup till I talk to the nurse. Finally she answered the phone and told me she was too busy and have not seen my results. It took her 12 days to tell me that my results were abnormal and I needed surgery and I should make an appointment with the surgeon and cancelled my followup appointmnet with dr. Blosser saying he would just refer you to the surgeon anyways. I made an appointment with another GI specialist and I am done with dr. Blosser's office. They are so unprofessional and I don't recommend them to anyone. I have never been to a doctor who never calls you back and takes almost 2 weeks to tell you your results are abnormal. I don't understand why they are so busy when each doctor in that office has his/her nurse. Even my primary care said that he has heard many complains about him. Please do yourself a favor and find another doctor.

September 5th, 2012
STRONGLY recommended an uneeded operation
Dr Blosser found that I had a paraesophageall hernia (Stomach is twisted and intruding into chest cavity). He strongly urged immediate surgery stating that the condition could suddenly worsen, and I would require emergency surgery which would be difficult. Because of its complexity, he could not recommend a surgeon in VA and instead recommended a colleague in DC. Because of the criticality of my situation, I decided to go to Johns Hopkins Medical Center in Baltimore. I brought my medical records. I spoke with a surgeon who specializes in my condition. I was told there was no emergency and that my condition is often a condition of the elderly. Moreover they no longer recommend surgery and in my case it was not necessary unless I wanted it. Moreover, Johns Hopkins told me that the surgeon who recommended surgery was some twenty years behind the times and obviously had not kept up with current literature. I would strongly suggest that if a patient wishes to use Dr Blosser and should he recommends a procedure that they obtain a confirmatory diagnosis from a first rate medical center. Johns Hopkins saved me an unnecessary operation and a lot of grief. Dr Blosser is extremely personable and very self-confident, but he is someone I could never recommend

August 15th, 2012
The Doctor is incredible
Without a doubt I owe my life and quality of life to this doctor. Informative, intelligent and the kind of doctor you want on you or your family.

November 10th, 2011
Best of the best
After being to countless doctors over the last ten years, Dc Blosser quickly diagnosed and setup an effective treatment plan that has minimizied my sy ...

July 19th, 2011
Whoops! Lost my biopsy!
All prep info and appointment with office staff went very well.I saw the great doctor himself for all of 30 seconds before I was rendered unconscious on the colonoscopy table.Then 2 weeks later he left me a voice mail to say they lost the biopsy on a polyp they removed, so I would have to come back for a follow-up colonoscopy in 2-3 years rather than 5.

December 3rd, 2010
A Very Good Doctor
About 8 years ago I became acutely ill after no prior medical problems. My primary care sent me into emergency exploratory surgery at Fair Oaks. An abscess was found in my colon. Dr. Blosser was on call at the hospital and became the GI in charge of my care. He quickly prescribed antibiotics and arranged an 8 week follow up visit in his office to schedule a colonoscopy. I met with him and his assistant in his office. They were friendly and explained the procedure and prep very well. On the day of the procedure, Dr. Blosser was quick to catch a mistake with anesthesia just before the exam. He talked with my husband and I once I was alert in the recovery area and went over the results from the procedure right then. He stated that I didn't need to make another appointment, as everything had healed up just fine. He and his staff helped make a very scary experience run smoothly.

July 15th, 2010
Dr. R. Allen Blosser
Dr. Blosser is rude and condescending - Avoid this Doctor!

May 19th, 2010
First of all you have to see the doctor's nurse, not the doctor, plus they never mailed the results of my endoscopy or prescription, until I followed up. Neither do they return the calls on time. I am very happy with the service and would not recommend someone who is that busy. I have not seen the doctor except for the day of my endoscopy.

March 10th, 2009
EXCELLENT DOCTOR
I HAD A COLONOSCOPY WITH DR. BLOSSER. I HAD BEEN GOING THROUGH LOTS OF PAIN AND ISSUES. I SPOKE FIRST WITH HIS EXCELLENT PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT WHO EXPLAINED EVERYTHING TO ME WITH ALL THE DETAILS, AFTERWARDS GOT TO MEET WITH HIM, WHICH HE TAKES TIME TO COME AND MEET ME IN BETWEEN DOING PROCEDURES, I HAD ALL MY QUESTIONS ANSWERED. WHEN I NEED MY MEDICATIONS REFILLED OR HAVE SIMPLE QUESTIONS I HAVE THE FACILITY TO CALL HIS NURSE AND GET IMMEDIATE ANSWERS. MY PERSONAL OPINION WHEN YOU GO TO SEE A DOCTOR AND YOU HAVE THIS KIND OF CARE IT MAKES THINGS ALOT EASIER.

March 9th, 2009
I went to see Dr. Blosser for a routine screening colonoscopy. He was so nice, took time to go over the entire procedure with me. His staff was wonderfull.

March 4th, 2009
Too friendly with patients and staff.