Dr. Richard Byrd MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

August 2nd, 2017
Worst experiences with Richard Byrd
I've read all of the previous comments and there had to be something very special about you or something very special about your family member whom was treated by Richard Byrd because my mother and I was completely treated with total disrespect on numerous occasions. After my mother's colon cancer surgery in October 2016, Richard Byrd had came out to the waiting room at approximately 8 pm to tell me, my family along with numerous other random people who were present in the waiting room area that he had some good news and that he had some bad news for all of us. He had told us that the good news was that he had removed my mother's tumor and that he had cut out a substantial amount of my mother's colon. He had informed us that the bad news was that the cancerous tumor had indeed already spread to her liver and that she had one year on up to five years left to live. Unfortunately, my mother did pass away less than 4 months after that surgery. My mother had been in surgery for hours and after receiving that good news and that bad news from Richard Byrd, I was '"again" in total disbelief because I couldn't have anticipated that after having major surgery that my mother wouldn't and didn't have a bed nor a hospital room appointed for her at OLOL. Why would a major surgery be scheduled and no room be available for that patient?? After the surgery, Richard Byrd had checked on my mother's condition only one time which was on day two after the surgery. On day two (previous comments) "the amazing, kind, compassionate, caring, praised, wonderful, jeweled" Richard Byrd had told my mother that she should get up and start walking. He told her that he would instruct her on how she needed to get out of the hospital bed. Loudly, he told her to roll herself over toward the side rails of the bed and to roll her legs so hat she could position her feet down in front of her onto the floor. After doing what she was told to do, Richard Byrd loudly and laughing said "look at that....she is trainable". I could go on and on as to how unprofessional and horrible Richard Byrd was to me and my mother, but I'll end by stating that before my mother's surgery was done, Richard Byrd had lied to my mother by specifically telling her that she had stage 2 or stage 3 colon cancer but in actuality she already had a very advanced and aggressive cancer which was at a stage 4 level. He most likely lied to her because on the day that he had diagnosed her with having colon cancer he did inform my mother that he would do surgery on her after he would come back from his wonderful vacation which had already been planned by his wife which was in September 2016. He performed surgery on my mother in October 2016. I did try to get other physicians to assist and to help my mother and I, but they didn't want to go over the head of Richard Byrd at all at OLOL. Previously, my mother had cancer back in the 1990's and she did live with complications due to previous radiation and chemotherapy treatments. My mother had chosen Richard Byrd as her colon physician for many years and I have no doubt that my mother was correct when she said that Richard Byrd knew what he was doing when it came to being a knowledgeable doctor especially throughout the many years when he was treating her for unfortunate complications and when he had removed polyps during numerous colonoscopy procedures. With all certainty, from my own personal experience with Richard Byrd in January 2014, I know that Richard Byrd was no longer a good, concerned or caring doctor to ALL of his patients nor to ALL of his patient's family members. I hope that CERTAIN people will start to speak up and speak out more about this doctor's unusual behavior and his serious unprecedented negative bedside manners that he exhibit to SOME. I'm confident that if Richard Byrd ever read my comments that he'll knows exactly who I am and he'll absolutely remember everything that he has done that he believes that I can't prove. He'll know who I am because he was extremely destined to hurt me. I'll never know why Richard Byrd chose to make an example out of my mother and I but one thing is for certain and that is that we all have a Higher Power who will make every wrong into right. I know and believe that my Almighty God who Rules the Heaven and the Earth will someday oust this man's every wrong doing that was done by shining light upon it. You would have had to be there to believe it, but I was there, my mother was there, Richard Byrd was there and God was there.

June 26th, 2017
WONDERFUL DOCTOR, SAVED MY LIFE! I had COLON RECTAL CANCER SURGERY BY DR. RICHARD BYRD!
I found out that I had colon rectal CANCER in 2008!!! Other doctors I saw wanted me to have Chemo and Radiation before any was surgery was done. NON WAY. I went to Mary Bird and I was then referred to Dr. BYRD and when I saw him he made me feel comfortable and he could remove all the cancer without me having to go through Chemo. HE WAS RIGHT! DR. BYRD IS WONDERFUL and has been there for me every step of the way every time needed him over the pass 9 years over going strong. I WOULDN'T CHANGE DOCTOR'S FOR ANYTHING IN THE WORLD!

February 13th, 2017
Excellent doctor
My wife as in the hospital for a blocked colon recently and was treated by Dr. Byrd. She able to avoid sugery due Dr. Byrd's excellent care.

January 31st, 2017
Dr Byrd is a great doctor and surgeon, he did 3 of my colon resections and had a very gentLe hand, took time to sew my by hand instead of staples ,being I am a woman he cared enough to take that extra time so my scars wouldn't be so bad. he is my go to for any surgeries. even after moving out if state I will go thousands of miles for him to treat me.

March 15th, 2016
You won't find a better colon specialist anywhere! Do your body and yourself a favor. Don't play around with your colon. Go to the best colon specialist right here in Baton Rouge. Can't praise this doctor enough! You won't be sorry!

September 9th, 2015
Dr. Byrd did my ileostomy ten years ago and everything is still working great. We thank God for him.

May 5th, 2014
Phenomenal
I heard that Dr. Byrd was the best in his field, so I scheduled my colostomy reversal with him. He was so caring and listened to all of my concerns. My recovery was much faster than expected. I was walking around and getting up to get things for myself the next day. Amazing surgeon. So glad I chose him. Only negative I would say was that there is a really long wait time at his office. I waited 2 hours one day. However, once I saw him, he spent over 2 hours with me addressing any concerns. He is definitely worth the wait.

May 2nd, 2012
He saved my life.

June 13th, 2011
When Dr Byrd cared for my mother in the hospital, he actually feed her to see how well she was eating. He did his own dressing changes as well. You don't find doctors like him that often -- his wife must be such a jewel to share him with his patients. I know my family is eternally grateful for his care and for saving my mother's life. May God bless him and his family.

April 26th, 2010
Kind, caring physician
Although not the surgeon that performed my colon resection, Dr. Byrd treated me while my physician was out of town. I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Byrd's kind, compassionate manner. He is a real treasure.

November 3rd, 2009
Dr. Byrd has always been interested in my care and in doing what's best for me.

August 7th, 2017