Dr. Richard Dickes MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.9

August 31st, 2016
Excellent and Compassionate Doctor
I have been a patient of Dr. Dickes for several years and though initially he may seem like a straight, down to business type of doctor, he is really very kind. He always returns phone calls and is willing to help at any time and has helped me tremendously in managing depression and anxiety. I recommend highly and without reservation.

January 27th, 2016
He is an arrogant jerk I hate the guy

December 10th, 2015
Knowledgeable and compassionate physician. Dr. Dickes truly cares about his patients.

July 4th, 2015
Irresponsible and Dangerous IMO
This quack put me on a higher-than-recommended amount of an antidepressant (he told me this at the time), which caused severely debilitating physical and mental effects and devastated my life for years afterwards. I was even unable to walk properly while taking this higher dose, so extreme was it, and I had been taking a recommended amount with no such effects for more than a year previously. However, sadly, that was not the worst of it. I was also placed on an additional antidepressant at this time which caused severe disorientation and psychotic symptoms which I had never even come close to experiencing previously. This toxic brew, and the extreme mental and emotional disturbances that it caused in me, cost me a suicide attempt and a psychiatric hospitalization at a fairly young age -- within just a few months. The loss of self-confidence which ensued sent me on a downward spiral for several years afterwards. It took me about five years in all just to start to put my life together after this cataclysmic experience, and I still don't believe that I am today where I would be in my overall life situation had this not occurred. In hindsight, all I needed was help with my abusive and depressing family situation; instead I went into Dickes' office with depression and came out with something much more serious. To be fair, Dickes was not the only shrink I was sent to during this period of my life, so in a way, this stint was merely continuing a trend. However, it seems to me that it was his markedly poor decisions with my prescriptions that were directly responsible for sending my brain chemistry over the edge, to depths which I have no reason to believe that I would have experienced otherwise, and from which I have had to suffer a very long and painful recovery, one which is still ongoing many years later. I would say that this experience set me back a decade in all versus where I would be today had my life never fallen apart. Never trust this guy with your brain chemistry, is all I can tell you.

February 3rd, 2015
Perfectly good doctor.
It's actually kind of stupid that Accurate Diagnosis is a ratable category.

October 4th, 2014
He damages the minds of children
He prescribes high doses of unneeded medication that sponsors his practice. He turns signs of depression and uneasiness into labels like 'schizophrenic' and 'psychotic'. His license should have been revoked years ago. See him once and leave a broken person for life... you've been warned.

November 17th, 2011
Avoid
Incompetent and dangerous. Mean spirited, needs therapy or retirement.

May 6th, 2011
AVOID THIS DOCTOR
He over-prescribed me to the point where I had to have a catheter for a week. At one point I was prescribed eight different medications through him, which I later learned was very dangerous to my health. I would avoid this doctor at all costs.

January 26th, 2011
Physician Heal Thyself!
He's a smart, learned physician and he's dedicated to his work. Ask him a question and he'll give you an informed answer revealing that he keeps up on the research literature. However, he strikes me as supremely insecure and uncomfortable with human/social interaction. I've never seen a psychiatrist who is so glued to his computer during patient appointments. He literally sits hunched over the machine the entire time with little focus on observing/facing his patient. Call me old-fashioned, but I thought psychiatrists were supposed to focus on the patient, observing every expression, body language and nuance in gestures and voice. How can you do that if you're staring at your computer monitor the entire time? I attribute this to some sort of social disorder on the doctor's part, which is a bit discomfiting.

August 6th, 2010
Drug Pusher
Dr. Dickes has been treating my son for the past several years, ignoring his underlying condition (which has a specific drug protocol) and ignoring the family dynamic (rageaholic mother). Does not recommend or insist on talk therapy, happy to prescribe higher and higher doses of medication. Dr. Dickes is incompetant and dangerous.

April 18th, 2010
Horrible bedside manner. Types on his computer the entire time you're talking without looking at you. As another reviewer wrote, he's hostile and confrontational. I was practically in tears when I left his office. Follow up appointments are about 10 minutes long, but no doubt he's charging insurance for the full 30 minutes. A horrible experience for me.

May 15th, 2009
You get what you pay for
Dr. Dickes may have a lot of book knowledge but I find it hard to beleive that he knows how to apply it at all with me. He picked a diagnossis and medicine for me in under an hour and spends the few minutes he gives me typing on his computer before he sends me on my way. The good part was that he's cheaper than the doctor I see now...I guess he makes it up in volume.