Orthopedic Surgeons, Surgical Specialist

Palo Alto Medical Foundation - Mountain View Center
701 E El Camino Real
Mountain View, CA 94040
650-934-7000
Locations and availability (2)

3.0

Sep 6th, 2012

He's a doctor's doctor - recommended to me by a very fine Ortho specialist who had done his own surgery. I have never seen a more patient, calm, and careful listener who treats the patient as a partner in determining a course of action and following through on it.Very nice staff in a really pleasant facility.

|  Excellent Surgeon  |  show details
Feb 16th, 2012

Being a first-time patient, I can understand that he Dr. Gayle did not know me. On June 9, 2011 I had dislocated my right shoulder in a bad fall at home. The doctor at The El Camino Hospital. who put my shoulder back where it belonged, told me to go to an Orthopedic Doctor the next week, which I did. At my second visit to Dr. Gayle I told him that my left shoulder was very painful 24/7. He told me he wanted me to go to therapy 2 times a week for one month and if my shoulder was still painful, he would order an MRI (which I feel should have been done by the doctor at the hospital when my shoulder was put back where it belonged).Dr. Gayle ordered an MRI and it turned out that I had a torn rotator cuff and a torn tendon. No wonder I was in constant pain. He operated on September 20, 2011

|  after my arthroscopic surgery  |  show details
Sep 3rd, 2011

I had an arthroscopic knee surgery recommended and performed by Dr Gayle. The surgery helped me a little bit but the pain remains even now, 6 months later. I still have a hard time walking. When I came to see Dr. Gayle 6 weeks after my surgery and mentioned to him that I am remain in pain and not able to walk, he said only one thing: Oh, may be you need a knee replacement! It made me so mad! Why in the world he recommended me to have the arthroscopic meniscus surgery if he believes that my only choice was the knee replacement. I just walked out of his office and will never come to see him again. He never called me back to check about my recovery. Not sure whether he is a good surgeon but one thing I know for sure: he doesnt care about his patients.

|  True Professional and Care Provider  |  show details
by MtBachelor-KL on Jun 10th, 2010

I tore my MCL, ACL and Meniscus late 2009 and Dr. Gayle performed the surgical procedure to repair my knee by end of 2009. Six months later, I am up and around with little to no discomfort, 95% mobility / flexibility. I am able to participate in normal activities and exercise. Dr. Gayle was upfront and honest about the entire procedure and even detailed the risks and how long I should expect the knee to recover. He was very patient and attentive at each appointment and answered all of my questions. His staff was great as well...there when I needed them, responded to all of my phone calls. My experience was 100% positive. I referred a friend to Dr. Gayle who had an old knee injury. Dr. Gayle performed the surgery in April and within 30 days my friend s now back to moderate exercise, with 90% mobility and 95% flexibility of the knee. I will definitely and gladly recommend Dr. Gayle to anyone that asks.

|  Blessed  |  show details
May 10th, 2010

All I can say is I am so much better.My chiropractor sent me to Dr Gayle and I think heis one of the best.A nurse also told me that Dr Gayle volunteeredin Haiti after the earthquake-he is a special doctor!

Feb 12th, 2010

I have to say that my experience my family has had with Dr Gayle has been nothing short of stellar.He saw and fixed my mother who had broken her hip.We were extremely worried and to be honest apprehensive about her having surgery before meeting Dr Gayle but he allayed our fears with thoughtfullness and kindness to my entire family. He gave us confidence and hope with a gentle spirit. My mother was up in a chair the day after surgery and was walking with a walker the following day.He is one of the kindest doctors we have had the good fortune of meeting and he came highly recommended as an excellent surgeon.At times his office wait can be a bit lengthy but he is always polite despite what seems to be a very busy practice.We are lucky to have him as our orthopedic surgeon!

|  Still in pain  |  show details
by Stiil in Pain on Aug 14th, 2009

Totally agree with Ms Los Altos rating. Very disappointed with Dr. R. Gayle as a medical professional. After several surgeries (one botched)and incorrect diagnosis, falsehoods about patient's progress. The list goes on.Very minimal follow-thru and doesn't return phone calls.

by cyclist in sunnyvale on Aug 2nd, 2009

great doctor. fixed my shoulder rotator cuff and got me back to cycling. very knowledgable and easy to talk to.highly recommend and have sent many patients to him.

|  Don't go to this doctor  |  show details
by ms Los Altos on May 1st, 2009

Was not honest about the need for surgery.Outright lied about how much time it would take to get better.In fact it is much worse than before the surgery.Did not return phone calls and did not take any interest in following up after surgery.