Dr. Richard Fermelia MD Patient Reviews

2.6

no change

February 6th, 2017
DISAPPEARED
Was in process of getting surgery with him. Had to postpone for a few weeks for unforeseen circumstances. Called the office to schedule surgery; THE DOC DIDN'T SHOW UP FOR WORK THAT MONDAY MORNING. The clinic became defunct, and I was not notified.

December 16th, 2014
He was not interested in my prior diagnosis or problems. Terrible bedside manner.

June 27th, 2013
Bariatric Surgery good idea--Dr. Fermelia very bad idea
After botching my partner's surgery a month earlier, I thought Dr. Fermelia would be extra careful with mine---NOT! He had 6 surgeries planned on that day.Three days after my surgery I went septic, was on life support for 15 of the 60 days in the hospital. I could go on and on, but enough said. Two years of being in bed and 18 surgeries later--(performed by many doctors and specialists who saved my life) I still have some problems, but for the most part am able to function. It is wonderful being such a small size---but please check reviews closer than I did. I really feel his roux-n-y surgery is life threatening due to his carelessness.

June 4th, 2013
Excellent Surgeon He saved my life
He saved my life I was in very bad shape when I met him was on death door. I was 490 pounds and on insulin, high blood pressure meds, oxygen, cpap, Since the operation I am 215 pounds and no longer on my cpap, oxygen, insulin, and I am going back to work fulltime after my schooling

April 7th, 2013
Excellent recovery
I came into the emergency room after an accident & was told I had 6 broken ribs, some were broken in 2-3 places. Dr Fermilia was the trauma surgeon on call. He recommended a procedure with titanium plates to fix the ribs which would cut my healing time in half. Just three weeks later, I can tell the surgery was a success & with some physical therapy I will be as good as new. He did an excellent job!

January 29th, 2013
Failling grade
I am just now recovering from additional surgery to repair Dr. Fermilia's supposed repair of a hiatal hernia. I had a successful lap band surgery and was doing well until I went to see him to have the band filled. Immediately afterwords I could not keep any food down. He recommended a hiatal hernia repair surgery. After that surgery I could not longer swallow comfortable and I had constant pain because left the tube from the lap band to the port directly on my diaphragm, causing ongoing pain both there and to my left shoulder. I went back to original bariatric surgeon as well as to an esophageal surgeon to have Dr. Fermilia's work repaired and can now swallow and am not in constant pain.

June 15th, 2012
dangerious
this surgeon actualy sewed my esophagas shut during a hiatal hernia repair , i was taken from laramie by ambulance back to cheyenne , were i found out hede done the repair without a sergical assistant 4 days later his behavior was so erratic i had to call cheyenne regonal security Dr Fermelia had in fact ran from the building .do not be seen by this man ; be seen some place else hes not safe nor is he a compatent surgeon

December 16th, 2008
Surgical Errors
Stay away from this "doctor". He has a history of surgical errors and out-of-court settlements.

February 1st, 2008
Meralgia parasethica
Waking up after over 2.1 hours of surgery with two inguinal hernia repairs and one umbilical hernia repair there were only a few nurses present and Dr, Fermelia was NOT there. I was very concerned about this and I expected a call at home very soon but only a nurse called me several days later for a check up. I contacted the office about a week before I returned to work to report that I had numbness and burning in my legs above my knees since the surgery. I thought that it was a reaction to the oxycodone that was prescibed for me but the condition continued after the medication was gone. Dr Fermilia raised his voice to me while we were alone in his office in a very intimidating manner about it and said he could see nothing wrong with me. He told me to go back to work. He sent me to a neurologist in the same building, on the same floor, and just down the hall from where I had my surgery. Since they could not see me for well over a month I went back to work as he suggested. The hard labor of the job caused the numbness and burning in my legs to increase causing a very GREAT amount of pain. I called his office many many times and left messages over a few weeks of working but he never returned the calls. After talking with the staff they claimed that he never got any messages. I felt as though they cut me off completely. I did quit the job after about a month and I have been umemployed off an on part time for over a year and workers comp will not pay anything for wages over that period since the doctor would not tell me to stay home from work. The neurologist that he sent me to told me that I had Meralgia parasethicsa. This neurologist that he sent me to would also ask me if my condition existed prior to my hernia surgery at nearly every single appointment over the entire past year that I saw him. I thought that this was very odd especially since I kept telling him about the pain I had at the accident in my naval and my groin area next to my very upper legs and that the parasethica showed up ONLY AFTER the hernia surgery. Just this month Jan.2008 I gave him a written paper stating the pains at the accident, the parasethica was AFTER the hernia surgery, and that this all of this info was available in the accident report with workers comp if he wanted a copy. He had his office call me to say they will not be my doctor any more. This entire experience has been a huge nightmare. Even today over a year later I can NOT work labor for more than an hour or two without the numbness and the screaming burning pain in my legs. My condition has not changed one bit since the surgery. I feel that the surgery has crippled me at this point.

Health Guides