Browse Health
Internist, Nephrologist (kidney)
29 years of experience
Accepting new patients

Patient Reviews

Patient Reviews ?

Overall Rating:
Total Ratings


Total Reviews


5 stars
4 stars
3 stars
2 stars
1 star
Ease of Appointment:
Courteous Staff:
Accurate Diagnosis:
Bedside Manner:
Spends Time with Me:
Follows Up After Visit:
Average Wait: 22 minutes
Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Write a Review
Where was he all night? show details Where was he all night?
Apr 11th, 2011

On April 8th, I accompanied a friend on a trip to the emergency room. She was diagnosed in December with glioblastoma multiforme and was experiencing a complication that needed immediate attention. The ER at Overlook Hospital in Summit, NJ was extremely efficient. We arrived at about 6pm and they had all the diagnostic testing completed by about 8pm. The decision was made to admit her and they put a call into her primary care physician, Dr. Nancy Freundlich, to issue the orders. The ER staff was informed by Dr. Nancy Freundlichs answering service that she was in California and that her husband, Richard Freundlich, MD, was covering. Despite repeated calls to Dr. Richard Freundlich, there was no response from him. Hour after hour went by, as both the ER staff and we became increasingly frustrated by the inattention and negligence of this on-call physician. Finally at about 1am, the patients oncologist, Dr. Michael Gruber, referred the ER doctor to another medical doctor, Dr. Mouraskawa, to do the admitting. My friend finally got settled into a room at 2:30am, completely exhausted and stressed.The next day, April 9th, Dr. Richard Freundlich finally showed up and rounded on her in the hospital at about noon. When queried about his inaccessibility and negligence in answering his page, he became very agitated and nervous. He blamed everything on the ER staff and claimed to have yelled at the director of the ER that morning. When asked whom he had yelled at that morning, he refused to give me the name of said person and became combative and defensive. He invited me to talk to any one I want in the ER. I again pressed him for the name of the person he spoke to that morning and he finally mentioned the ER director, calling him Dr. Amalfi (Im assuming he meant, Dr. Christopher Amalfitano). When he finally got to the consultative part of the visit, he barely knew anything about my friends case. It was an abomination on every level.I then challenged him on his assertion that it was the ERs fault because I witnessed, first-hand, the fact that they were calling him repeatedly to no avail. It appeared that Dr. Freundlich was not being truthful. When I told him that I did not believe his account of the previous evening, he told me I was being inappropriate and he stormed out of the room. About ten minutes passed until the nurse came in and told my friends 24-year-old daughter that Dr. Freundlich was on the phone at the nurses station and needed to speak to her. He then berated her and told her that he was off the case and that she could call the police or anyone else she wanted to call.I decided to head down to the ER to speak to the charge nurse of the day, a man by the name of Noelle(sp?). He corroborated my suspicion that Dr. Freundlich never yelled at anyone that day. In fact, Noelle confirmed that no such conversation took place. I suggested that maybe he spoke with Dr. Amalfitano and Noelle informed me that the doctor was not even on duty that day.I have no way of knowing where Dr. Freundlich was all evening or what he was doing that kept him from responding in a timely manner to this urgent situation, but what I do know is that he grossly neglected his responsibilities as a covering physician. His resigning from the case was the best thing that ever happened to my friend. Behavior such as his besmirches the profession.

Apr 10th, 2011

I am writing this review by proxy. In light of the fact that the Patient (victim) at this juncture is incapable of writing her own review. However, I also have some personal input being involved in the experience. On Friday April 8, 2011 at about 6:30 P.M., the patient checked into Overlook Hospital experiencing difficulty breathing due to post operative and existing complications from cancer of the brain. Although the patients Oncologist is considered to be the Primary Care Physician and he responded right away. He suggested the patient be admitted. However, since the condition was pulmonary related he had no authority to admit the patient. Upon information, the attending physician in the ER attempted to contact Dr. Nancy Freundlich who is (was) the primary care physician for the patient and the attending physician quickly ascertained that Dr. Nancy Freundlich was not on call, she was supposed to be in California but, her husband Richard Freundlich was covering for her. During the course next several hours, the ER attending physician made, perhaps dozens of phone calls Dr. Richard Freundlichs answering service and achieved negative response. In the interim, the patient needed a bed and her presence was holding up the emergency room, which was busy being Friday night. At about 12:30 P.M., I called the answering service and left a message for Dr. Freundlich to contact the ER for permission to admit the patient admission. At about 2:30 A.M., upon information and belief the hospital was able to find another physician on their team to admit the patient having not been able to contact Dr. Richard Freundlich. On Saturday April 9, 2011, around 12:00 P.M., Dr Richard Freudnlich showed up at the hospital claiming that he was never notified by the hospital and stated (in sum and substance) that he had yield at the Emergency Room Director for failing to notify him and further stating that he had never gotten any calls. Further inquiry with the hospital ER Manager by this writer revealed that this conversation with Dr. Freundlich never took place. Based on information received from a close friend who was present, Dr. Richard Freundlich when questioned by the patients family and friend, about his total lack of conscious effort, he responded by saying that he is very busy and has many sick patients to care for. He further stated that He was sleeping and did not hear the phone! He later called the patients daughter to inform her that He is off the case and that She can call the police on him if she wants. The encounter with Dr Richard Freundlich proved to be both distressing to the patient and the patients family and friends. During the last several months there have been many tears of sadness due to the effects of this terrible disease. But it quickly turned to tears of joy when we were informed that Dr. Richard Freundlich was off the case

Mark as Helpful  | 2 people found this helpful Report Abuse