Orthopedic Oncologic Surgeon
15 Presidential Blvd
Ste 300
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
610-667-2663
Locations and availability (5)

3.0

|  Great doctor!  |  show details
Apr 24th, 2014

I'm reading what some are saying on this sight and I think something is wrong with them! This doctor is one of the best in his field! He does treat stage 4 cancers and helps people walk again. It's not always about quantity of life as much as quality of life. No more wheelchair!

|  Disgrace to the medical profession  |  show details
by Janice on Mar 24th, 2014

Last year my mother broke her hip and we had the this man assigned to her in the emergency room. He never came in to even meet her prior to surgery nor meet us as the family. For the entire time in the hospital and rehab center located in the hospital he never made an appearance. This was over 2 weeks. She was then sent to an outside rehab for further therapy and went into congestive heart failure. She was sent back to the hospital for an additional 3 weeks and even with consultation requests he never made an appearance. While in the hospital I requested an x-Ray be done and called his office requesting that he at least look at it to see where she was in the healing process. He flat out refused! Our family physician even called his office requesting that he look at the x-Ray and he flat out refused him. Needless to say we are now dealing with a new doctor who is absolutely wonderful and attentive. I wouldn't recommend this man to my worst enemy! He's rude and his staff is rude, one of which consists of his rude wife. If you have no choice in the ER being assigned to this man, run like the dickens!

|  The worst ever!!  |  show details
Jul 11th, 2013

Ignorant staff and doctor

|  Unprofessional Office  |  show details
May 10th, 2013

I'm reading these reviews for the first time and am shocked to see my own negative experiences shared by so many others. My first scheduled appointment took weeks to get, so the oncologist who is treating me called Dr. Schmidt's office to get the appointment scheduled sooner. The receptionist did schedule it sooner, but warned me they were squeezing me in and that I may have to wait. Well, to my amazement, I was seen promptly with no waiting. My surgery and hospital experience were painful and horrible. The "office" admitted that they got behind in my pain management. I called to verify with the office that I was not permitted to have anything food, drink, midnight before my surgery. I asked about my pain meds and they said that I could not take them after midnight. I ended up calling the answering service at 4 a.m. because I was in deep pain. The answering service said they could not call the doctor at that hour just because I was in pain. I ended up calling my oncologist at 5 a.m. about my pain. She eased my mind by telling me what to take and that the nurses at the hospital would be able to immediately hook me up to pain meds as soon as I got there for the surgery. However, there were no surgery orders written yet for me and the doctor was in surgery at that time, meaning I had to wait in horrible bone pain until he got finished with a patient in the ER. I cried and cried due to pain and no relief. My experiences got worse. I am working in a teaching medical college for 40 years, have worked in very busy medical practices, and we cared about our patients. I don't believe this office cares. I don't care for them either. I put in a request to transfer my medical records to another orthopedist. I have a tiny record - maybe 4-5 visits and it's taking 3 weeks so far to have my records transferred.

|  Stay away from this Dr. and his office  |  show details
Aug 8th, 2012

In all the years I have attended Dr. Offices from Pediatrics to specialists I have never encountered one like this. FOr starters the receptionist is as rude as can be to everyone walking in, and has no problem yapping on the phone on personal business with the window wide open so that you have no choice but to hear every word she has to say. I had two appointments with Dr. Schmidt. For my first I was kept waiting 1hour and 45 minutes, and I was his first appt. for the day, and for my second 1 hour and a half. Both times there was no explanation or apology for lateness, and he basically spent less than 5 minutes with me. He may be a specialist in his field, but there have got to be others who are a lot more respectful of their patients and their schedules. Avoid this Dr. and his office staff at all cost.

Aug 8th, 2012

Dr Scmidt has been my Orthopaedic Surgeon for over 17 years, he has guided me through several very difficult procedures which have proven to be life saving on one occasion. I also credit him for saving my right leg during a surgery to repair a broken femur, his quick diagnosis and fast acting abilities allowed him to save my leg from almost certain amputation. I would recommend Dr. Schmidt to anyone looking for the best of the best when it comes to knowledge of his proffesion and his outstanding bedside manner and wonderful support staff. I consider Dr. Schmidt a life saver and friend who is the best of the best.

|  Dr Schmidt is the best in the world  |  show details
Jun 23rd, 2012

Dr Schmidt diagnosed me with bone cancer in 1991. Two other doctors wanted to amputate my right leg.Dr Schmidt gave me all my options, introduced me to a top notch oncologist, and told me this would be the hardest thing I would probably ever go thru. Nine months of chemothetapy, and a nine hour operation on my leg, it has now been over 20 years, and I walk around like nothing ever happened to me. I play basket ball, I ride motorcycle, I work about 10 hours a day, and I am getting to see my children grow up. Dr Schmidt has been my dr for over 20 years and I would never go to another ortho dr. The staff thete is excellent, they treat me like I am family, and I can truley say that if it was not for Dr Schmidt, I would not be here today. I owe him my leg and my life!

Mar 26th, 2012

The office staff is so rude. I went up to the desk after an hour of waiting and the woman was crying on the phone and yelled at me for not being patient after an hour. The staff needs to deal with their personal problems in the back and not at the main desk. Also I waited and hour and a half after my appointment and therefore had to miss one of my classes because they were so late. The doctor is great but I can't stand the staff and the way the office is run so I will never return here.

|  GET A SECOND OPINION!!!  |  show details
Dec 7th, 2011

I am also filling this out on behalf of my Mother who had stage 4 brain & lung cancer.Dr. Schmidt suggested that she have hip surgery just as the previous post stated that happened to their father who also had stage 4 cancer.He lied to us & told her it was not a big deal & that she would be home in two to 3 days walking around & her quality of life would be better so we believed him & let him perform the surgery.She never made it out of the hospital & passed away less then 1 month later from complications of the brain & lung cancer.Why he would do a surgery like this on stage 4 cancer patients is the big question that I get from everyone now.I wish we would have had a second opinion looking back now & my mother probably wouldnt have had to have suffered any extra in her last few days that she had left.I feel like we were duped by a used car salesman.The moral of the story here is to make sure that you get a second opinion if this doctor recomends a hip replacement surgery on you if you have stage 4 cancer.I wouldn't want any other family going through what we went through.Legaly there is nothing you can do when it is said & done because of the consent form that they make you sign right after they talk you into it!!!My heart goes out to the Stephen Luce family in the previous post! we know what you went through.God Bless!!!

|  Beside manner leaves a lot to be desired  |  show details
Mar 11th, 2011

Full disclaimer: I am filling this out on behalf of my father, Dr. Stephen Luce, who died in November of 2010 from complications of Stage IV Colon Cancer.My father was treated by Dr. Schmidt at Lankenau Hospital in October of 2010. My father was battling Stage IV colon cancer and was faced with limited options. Dr. Schmidt encouraged him to have a hip replacement. My father was aware of the risks and he was pleased that Dr. Schmidt agreed to do the surgery.However, his nonchalant and cocky bedside manner after the surgery was unacceptable. He was dismissive, hard to get a hold of and unapologetic for a MRSA infection that my father received while under his care in the operating room. He may be a great doctor but his bedside manner leaves a lot to be desired.

by Jeff E on Mar 2nd, 2011

Dr Schmidt and his staff, in my opinion of course are the best out there. I would never go any were else for my ortho needs.