Dr. Richard Gaertner MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.0
  • 4 reviews

October 15th, 2013
Run away-- as fast as you can..!
This practice is the worst nightmare for any patient looking for proper treatment. I had a tennis elbow that was bothering me for over an year. Went to him since he is located close by. Saw me for 2 minutes; ordered X-rays, gave me steroid injections (which I later learnt are not to be given or taken lightly). Anyway, problem was getting better but then I injured my elbow again swinging a hammer; went back to him; he asked me to get an MRI (only from a particular MRI center (!) and come back. He did not discuss the MRI with me; instead his physician assistant met with me and told me that the MRI showed a partial tear in my tendon; When I asked questions about the MRI and asked her to show me the tear etc she deflected all questions (because she had no clue). On the way out Gaertner started started pushing me into immediate surgery; all the tactics that you see in a car salesman-- "we can get you in day after tomorrow if you say yes now" -- "next appt. would be much later", "since we have a cancellation we can give you a discount!!" , etc. etc. I had warning bells clanging in my head by the time I left. This was a surgery that had partial chance of success and would need 4+ months of rehab! No way I was going to get pushed into surgery on my right hand (I am right handed) by a 75+ year old doctor whose hands shake , without getting a second opinion. When I called to get my MRIs (which I had paid for) so I could take to another ortho for a second opinion, I got some pushback but I was persistent so that finally gave in (had to shell out a "processing fee"). Took the MRI to Dr. Annunziata at Commonwealth Ortho. What a difference. He checked me and then told me that the MRI should be thrown in the garbage; My problem did not need surgery and that surgery would most likely have made things worse. Just told me to take it easy with my arm and it would heal in a few months. He was correct. Two years later, my arm is absolutely fine ; I am back to doing everything I was doing before-- golf, home renovation projects, gardening etc. Thank god I followed my gut! Stay away from this place !

November 16th, 2011
WHAT A GREAT GUY! HE TOOK X-RAYS OF MY SHOULDER AND NECK. CHECKED MY RANGE OF MOTION OF BOTH THEN ORDERED AN MRI OF MY SHOULDER. HE THOUGHT I HAD A ROTATOR CUFF TEAR. THE MRI PROVED HE WAS RIGHT.I HAD SURGERY JUST BEFORE CHRISTMAS 2010 AND NOW MY SHOULDER IS GREAT.HIS OFFICE STAFF IS WONDERFUL. A VERY CARING GROUP OF PEOPLE. CURRENTLY "DR G" IS TREATING A MEMBER OF MY FAMILY AND SEVERAL FRIENDS THAT I REFERRED.

April 5th, 2011
I won't go back, NOT recommend to anyone

February 7th, 2011
He is a very good doctor. The staff are rude, arrogant, not friendly, talk bad about patients and their attitude makes me not to come to his office.