Dr. Richard Granese MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

October 31st, 2016
Poor phone communication
I'm sure Dr Granese tries to help as many people as he can since there seems to be a shortage of psychiatrists available in the Value Option insurance. The doctor's communication with his office is horrible. I can't even leave a voice message because the mail box is almost always full. When I do leave a message to cancel an appointment, I get a bill for a missed appointment. Then, when I call the billing office, I don't get a call back and there's no record that I called! The office set up an appointment for me in another office and didn't let me know until the day before and when I tried to cancel, I got a full voice mail message! I will not be seeing this doctor again.

February 4th, 2016
Absolute worst! Took my son to him and he wouldn't even speak with me, told my son that I would have to make an appointment with him, naturally be charged. When I paid my bill in the office I received yet another bill at a higher amount. How do you diagnose someone after 5 minutes and then start out at high doses? Medication had adverse reaction and he wouldn't change it. Bad diagnosis! Horrible excuse for a doctor.

December 6th, 2015
Get someone else, anyone
Terrible human being and doctor.

August 10th, 2015
Very professional and courteous staff

May 28th, 2015
BAD PERSON!
He's careless and is in the wrong business. His billing system is extremely unorganized as well as his own mind.

February 17th, 2015
Couldn't ask for a better doctor
Great doctor he knows what he is doing

December 18th, 2014
Be careful in using this doctor, his billing department is horrible to work with. Ask for a monthly statement and quickly address no shows. The office ignores your questions about no show appointments and over charging. In six months I have yet to talk to the billing person. All calls have gone unanswered and the office gives you the runaround.

November 23rd, 2014
Understanding this practice!!
I have been a Registered Nurse for 30 yrs and worked in many fields-even psych. I have had psych care off and on since 1993. I eventually ended up with Dr Granese. He cares for 3 people in my family. Psychiatry is not always therapy.This Dr runs medications management only for a very good reason. There are a huge number of people in this county that need mental health services and there are simply not enough psychiatrists available. Medical school and residency program for psychiatry is more years of schooling than just about any other medical professional. Some psychiatrists also do therapy, I have seen it. Dr Granese is providing a huge service by seeing as many people as he can so they can be on stabilizing meds. He is not in this for the bucks. He knows what he"s talking about with meds which can take a long time to adjust and start working properly. If the doc says you need treatment in the hospital he does not do this lightly. In plain English there are not enough psychiatric beds in OC for the patients that need them. The doctors have to justify the bed use in terms of other patients. Finally--He is not there for 30-45 min therapy sessions that"s what all those therapists in his office are for and psychiatrists aren't there to sympathize, empathize maybe. But if you want sympathy talk to your family--better yet start some heavy duty therapy. Be glad the man is there at all.

October 16th, 2014
Granese is an uncaring idiot
I cannot say a truthful positive thing about him. He is just A-W-F-U-L.

July 28th, 2014
UNCARING IDIOT,
He is just awful to deal with. Run, don't walk, to get away from him.

July 2nd, 2014
Billing is horrible
He has an off-shore med degree and it shows. His billing person, who works from home, is terribly disorganized and does double bill. It is a major hassle to get in touch with her. She does not like to return calls and offers excuses for her billing errors. After her and his disinterest, I happily left. Those who rated him highly are either friends or relatives.

June 30th, 2014
Awful experience...
Saw a therapist who works with this doctor. Only saw him(Dr. Granese)1 time for 2 minutes. He didn't even assess me and just believed everything she said about the diagnosis she gave me after 2 sessions. His PA handled my care during the rest of my treatment; she was blunt, brutal, and damaging to my self esteem. SCPA is dangerous and ANY therapist affiliated with them should be avoided at all costs. Dr. Granese pushes the first medication that comes to mind. He wont change the medication, only forces higher and higher doses. I wish I had read the reviews here before I ended up in his "care." The therapist who works with him that I saw is ALSO entirely unethical. Please avoid SCPA for your health. There are much better places for mental health treatment in Orange County.