Psychiatrists

14351 Red Hill Ave
Ste C
Tustin, CA 92780
714-838-5564
Locations and availability (3)

2.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  UNCARING IDIOT,  |  show details
Jul 28th, 2014

He is just awful to deal with. Run, don't walk, to get away from him.

|  Billing is horrible  |  show details
by Glad I left on Jul 2nd, 2014

He has an off-shore med degree and it shows. His billing person, who works from home, is terribly disorganized and does double bill. It is a major hassle to get in touch with her. She does not like to return calls and offers excuses for her billing errors. After her and his disinterest, I happily left. Those who rated him highly are either friends or relatives.

|  Awful experience...  |  show details
by A. L. on Jun 30th, 2014

Saw a therapist who works with this doctor. Only saw him(Dr. Granese)1 time for 2 minutes. He didn't even assess me and just believed everything she said about the diagnosis she gave me after 2 sessions. His PA handled my care during the rest of my treatment; she was blunt, brutal, and damaging to my self esteem. SCPA is dangerous and ANY therapist affiliated with them should be avoided at all costs. Dr. Granese pushes the first medication that comes to mind. He wont change the medication, only forces higher and higher doses. I wish I had read the reviews here before I ended up in his "care." The therapist who works with him that I saw is ALSO entirely unethical. Please avoid SCPA for your health. There are much better places for mental health treatment in Orange County.

|  HORRIBLE MAN  |  show details
Jun 14th, 2014

It's not just you that found him to be a horrible awful doctor. Uncaring. Impossible to reach by phone. Doesn't return phone calls. Appointments last less than 3 minutes when you are in the hospital. He says one thing to you and another to hospital staff. This causes problems for, you guessed it, YOU, not him. Inconsistent with medications. Find another doctor right away.

|  Find another doctor!  |  show details
May 26th, 2014

HE IS AWFUL. WORST BEDSIDE MANNER EVER. HEARTLESS. UNCARING. VISITS THAT ARE SO SHORT AS TO BE BARELY MEASURABLE. TERRIBLE STAFF AND IDIOT P.A. DOESN'T RETURN CALLS. AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL.

Mar 8th, 2014

I thought it was just me until I read all of these reviews. I thought that I was perhaps too thin-skinned. That my problems were too dull to be of interest to this doctor. He limits his treatment to med management, and his office is run with precision and efficiency calculated to run the maximum possible number of insured patients through the system in the shortest possible amount of time. There is a review way at the beginning that observes that Dr. Granese would not have a busy practice if he weren't a "good" psychiatrist. He accepts almost any insurance. He will fit you in whether he has time or not. He will assign you without notifying you ahead of time nor obtaining your permission, to see one of his PA's or other staff, and forget continuity of care. You go to see a doctor of psychiatry when you are at your most vulnerable and ill-equipped to deal with choosing a doctor, and you stick with him out of desperation and routine. The point of seeing a psychiatrist instead of a regular MD is to receive specialist care and treatment. I do not feel that I received that with Dr. Granese. I have never seen so many horrible reviews and I feel vindicated and relieved. When one person calls you a donkey you can brush it off but when a whole bunch of people think you are one, it's time to get fitted for a saddle. I give a 4 star for promptness. One thing you can say about this doctor, he has the maximum number of patients in and out of that office. Any mid-level Japanese factory manager would be proud.

|  So glad I changed doctors  |  show details
Feb 11th, 2014

Dr. Granese doesn't like to change medication. He has poor communication with his staff and an irritable bedside manner. His staff comprises the rudest three people I have ever met. Dr, Granese will talk down to you. I am so glad I changed doctors!

|  BAD -- BAD -- BAD ~~ NEGATIVE STARS if it were allowed~~  |  show details
Jan 27th, 2014

He is awful. Read what others have said.

|  SO BAD  |  show details
Dec 25th, 2013

Doesn't care or listen or call back or interact or be of any help.

|  Horrible!  |  show details
Dec 24th, 2013

He doesn't listen. He.doesn't care, He doesn't return phone calls.

|  Worst Care Ever  |  show details
Dec 2nd, 2013

Horrible. Comments by others cover it. He's awful

|  Deplorable care  |  show details
Nov 26th, 2013

He's terrible. No help to the patients. Cold. Aloof. Uncaring. Doesn't listen. Impossible to reach by phone.

|  Arrogant. Bad Service.  |  show details
Nov 23rd, 2013

Heartless. Uncaring. Cold. Aloof. Doesn't call back. Ridiculously bad service. Arrogant. A nightmare to deal with. Gives Mission Hospital of Laguna Beach a bad name. Gives psychiatry a bad name.

|  Lousy psychiatrist  |  show details
Nov 18th, 2013

Dr. Granese told my son (the patient) that he could go home from the mental hospital on a particular day. I confirmed with the hospital staff that Dr. Granese had said this to my son. The staff told me that he had and that the doctor had told them that my son was ready to go home. After my son and I packed up his belongings, a nurse came and said that although she herself had heard Dr. Granese say these things to staff, he had failed to write a discharge order in the chart. Therefore, she called him and he said that my son could not go home unless he left AMA (Against Medical Advise). This doctor is horrible. He has never called me back. I believe the overwhelming large number of negative comments about Dr. Granese because they fit with my experiences or sound just like what I would expect given the poor job he has done in our case.

|  TERRIBLE  |  show details
Nov 15th, 2013

All the complaints you read here are true. I only wish I had known before I had the misfortune to deal with this uncaring self-centered excuse for doctor. He won't listen. He won't give you more than 2 minutes, if that. He won't return phone calls.

|  HORRIBLE!  |  show details
Nov 14th, 2013

ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE! He doesn't return calls. He doesn't listen. His P.A. doesn't know the difference between a mood stabilizer and an antidepressant. She (the P.A.) doesn’t know the medications the patient is on, doesn’t know that the patient’s admitting symptoms are entirely new to the patient’s history, and she talks out of both sides of her mouth. She thought that the patient had always been this way. She gave numerous conflicting bits of information, and wrong information about the patient and what care he was getting. Everything I read here and everything I have learned about him make me regret the day my family member came under his “care.”

|  Worst staff and doctor!  |  show details
Aug 27th, 2013

First of all, the doctor never calls you back...even after 5 voicemails and notes left to the receptionist! Second, the staff who answers phones and helps you at the front desk, is so condescending and RUDE! I changed doctors because of these factors! Ridiculous service!

|  HORRIBLE  |  show details
Aug 13th, 2013

Dr Granese is the worst doctor I have EVER had the displeasure of seeing. Everyone's comments about 2 minute appoints is 100% accurate. He is cold and uncaring. He is very intimidating while you're hospitalized and at his mercy. I would NEVER willingly see this man again!

by Chronicpainpatient on Aug 8th, 2013

I had the unfortunate experience of being his patient on the Physc floor@ Laguna Beach Mission Hospital. Before my husband and I agreed that I should stay there we were assured that I would be seen by a Dr. And my pain issues would be taken care of. He never came to see me! I was admitted through the ER because my pain got out of control, I am on a lot of pain meds but it can still get out of control. In the ER I was given a shot and it calmed everything down for several hours. I woke up in terrible pain, the nurses couldn't give me anything because he didn't order anything!!! This turned out to be an absolute nightmare! When he finally saw me the next day I didn't even question him about it because he had the say about whether I could leave or not. I answered his questions and got out of that place as soon as I could. This was 3 months ago, I am still fighting to get my records from that night so I can figure out how this could have happened. I would recommend staying as far away from him as possible!!!

|  I've never met such a terrible doctor!  |  show details
Jun 21st, 2013

I don't understand why he became a psychiatrist because he doesn't like helping people, that's for sure! He spends about THREE minutes with you. I was very depressed and he refused to change my medication - he wanted to increase my current medication. He wouldn't even consider changing it! Just an awful experience all around. From the time I park my car to the time I get back into my car, only about eight minutes have passed! His Dana Point office needs a good paint job and new carpet, especially in the waiting room. I will never go back to him and I feel sorry for his current patients. I should have left him much sooner!

|  That's it?  |  show details
Mar 23rd, 2013

Each time I have seen him, he literally comes in for 2 minutes maximum, asks if the medication is working, then walks out. He doesn't ask anything else, and I don't even think he cares. He is intimidating, cold, and has little to no personality from what I experienced. Also charges way high for NOTHING. Just skip him and find someone at least nice.

Mark as Helpful  | 10 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Nov 8th, 2012

By far the worst experience I've had with a doctor during the most critical time of my life. He Mis-diagnosed me, Over medicated, never asked the proper questions to treat me what my actual problem was and was difficult to get an appointment with. I wondered why I even spent the time to get to his appointments when he spent a total of 2 minutes with me. How could anyone properly do their job in two minutes? Stay away from him if you actually want to get better. He wants to bill your insurance company, thats about it. Gives Psychiatry, and the Mission Hospital of Laguna Beach a bad name. Just Despicable.

|  Great Psychiatrist, Poor Billing Staff  |  show details
May 8th, 2012

Dr. Granese is a very kind and caring psychiatrist. He listens to all my concerns. He asks questions to allow me to discuss them with him. If I need a psychologist for a specific problem, he recommends someone. The only issue I have with his organization Southern California Psychiatric Associates (SCPA)is double billing. When I wrote a detailed email to the woman in charge of billing, I got no response. I wrote the email on April 24 and sent successfully. No courtesy call back, nor written reply. My husband and I are very disgusted with the billing department. Rudeness by inattention to my communication (email and phone) turns me off to see this psychiatrist again.

|  Doctor is a Clown  |  show details
May 1st, 2012

Two visits at his office . Dr Grenise spent 1-2 mins each time with me. The rest of the time is up to His PA. He has no patience. No bed side manners, very short with his words and don't listen to what patient have to say. Without further understanding of what patient needs, he refuses to continue seeing and caring for me unless I am in agreement to be hospitalized. Seems to me he is passing the buck and shows signs of incompetence. Dr Grenise is a danger to society. After leaving his office, I fallen deeper into depression.....FYI. Choose you doctor carefully and avoid this Joker!!!

|  Feel Like A Numbert  |  show details
Sep 29th, 2011

Everything everyone has said is how I perceive this doctor. I don't have very many choices on my HMO plan so I'm kind of stuck. Thank goodness I have a great family doctor and specialist to support me.

|  The Best  |  show details
Aug 31st, 2011

Dr. Granese is busy for a reason. He is the best psychiatrist I have seen. He knows his stuff and will get you better.

Aug 26th, 2011

The primary reason I stopped going was my health was seriously jeopardized due to medication side effects. The same side effects happened to me previously and does not reflect on his competence. Also, I gave up. They did not. I rarely saw Dr. Granese. I did meet with his PA Ja*k^#. She was understanding,professional,prompt and listened. The office staff was competent. There were no problems other than ones caused by my mistakes. Dr. Granese would reveiw the PA's notes, confirm my status and make evaluations based on them. It was nice that they listened as well as they did. He is a psychiatrist not a psychologist. They are not a critical care facility. It know it is very difficult when your in the moment. I read other reviews and would ask if they are truely being fair. This is not discounting that other people had different experiences than I did. I am physically "healthier" and was very happy to seem his name on a list of providers. I hope to see him again if my blood results are good.

|  Excellent  |  show details
Aug 11th, 2011

Top Doctor. Would refer to him again.

|  I Should Have Left Him Years Ago...  |  show details
Jul 9th, 2011

Several years back, when he was in the little office, he was fine for my prescription maintenance. Once he moved to the new office (same building) he took on a completely incompetent receptionist(P*M) who several times a year manages to double book, lose or fail to notify me of an appointment change and somehow the office always treats me like it was MY mistake and they're doing me a HUGE favor by taking me in , when ity was absolutely P*m's mistake- she's a flake! Back in the "old days" there was NEVER a wait and while his interest in really understandign my situation was limited, I got my prescription. Funny there's been major developments in medications for my condition and never once did Dr. Graneese even mention new treatment possibilities. In the new office there's always a wait for the same lackluster appointment. I finally took the time to call around and have located a new Psychiatrist who is MUCH more in-tune with her patients and has an office staff that is competent and treats me with professionalism. I've finally got the rundown on the new treatments available and am enjoying my new medication, that many people started enjoying over 18 months ago.

|  Bedside Manner? HA!  |  show details
Jul 2nd, 2011

This doctor is a complete shame who cares nothing about his patients, and only about his pocket book. He will bill you and your insurance for his services after spending two minutes in the office. A complete crook who has spread himself so thin with his practice that it has become a JOKE...

Jun 9th, 2011

Barely saw him. He had his PA fill out paperwork and he came in and out in a couple minutes. There was no interest in establishing a relationship. Not the kind of professional I would see again.

|  CARELESS DOCTOR  |  show details
May 30th, 2011

The most careless Psychiatrist I have ever come across. He will not spend more than 5 minutes with you in each visit and can't wait to get you out the door. HE DOES NOT CARE AND IS IN PRACTICE JUST TO MAKE MONEY.The most unprofessional office staff.

|  professional and warm.  |  show details
Sep 22nd, 2010

TThough appts last no more than 15 minutes a visit, he is caring and educated his patients...at least that's been my experience.

|  Dr. Granese is cold, calculated, money-hungry & heartless.  |  show details
by 50-year Laguna Beach local resident, on Aug 26th, 2010

Just wants your money. Won't let you finish a sentence, no matter how concise & to the point. Doesn't give any personal concern. Could care less about you. You're just another patient with a chart. Charged over $200 for a 20 minute initial visit.Then, misdiagnosed me, and would not answer my phone call since I was in distress. Dr Richard Granese is a NIGHTMARE of a Psychiatrist. One would be better keeping their health issues then trusting in him to do nothing but make it worse

Aug 7th, 2010

Dr. Granese is an excellent doctor. He was there when we needed him the most caring for me while I was in the hospital.

|  I would not go to this doctor  |  show details
May 26th, 2010

He is very unpersonal, unprofessional, and very cold. If you have another choice I would go there. No need to waste your time with him, he is arrogant and doesn't care.

|  Avoid this Dr. Granese and staff at all costs!!!  |  show details
by Heather on May 21st, 2010

I called to make initial appt. and left 4 messages with very rude receptionist and waited over a week for a call back from Dr.(staff can't schedule 1st. appt). Once I finally was able to speak to Dr. he couldn't get me in for 3wks. After waiting 3wks. I was completely and totally disappointed with not only the doctor and how appt. was handled, but his unprofessional and uncourteous staff!! Horrible experience that I hope to soon forget. I will never return to this Dr. and I can only hope that someone else reads this and saves themselves the headache, dissapointment and frustration.

Mar 21st, 2010

He is very professional. He is not hesistant in his approach and easily understood. He takes a team approach. His office staff and office environment are friendly. I would recommend him and his staff to my friends.

|  Dr. Granese....Boo!!!!  |  show details
by KJ on Feb 22nd, 2010

Dr. Granese rushes you through the appt. and doesn't seem to really care. I would not recommend him to anyone.

|  Horrible Doctor  |  show details
by Michelle Gallegos on Oct 23rd, 2009

This is one of the worst psychiatrists I have ever been to. Uncaring, aloof and cold. His only goal was to write me my prescriptions so he could get me out of his office. I told him my husband lost his job and we couldn't afford my medications and he couldn't care less. He didn't even have the basic social skills to say "I'm sorry". I was forced to go off of my medication because he refused to have it delivered to his office from the prescription assistance program I was enrolled in. When I asked him repeatedly for suggestions or help as to how to obtain my prescription(that I couldn't afford) he handed me the number for the Orange County Mental Health center, which was no help at all, as they do not return messages.I have never been made to feel so belittled or ashamed due to my financial situation.Run, don't walk, away from this doctor.

|  Poor Psychiatrist  |  show details
Sep 2nd, 2009

I would not refer anyone to this doctor. He is more concerned with getting you in and out of his office. I don't think he cares about me as a person what so ever. If I had better insurance I would see someone else

|  This psychiatrist needs a psychiatrist  |  show details
by Concerned Mother on Jul 25th, 2009

This physician told my child who was in the hospital and had just been released from ICU into the less critical care unit that he had called and talked to me when he never called me. Then he told her I told him I had no interest in her medical care or well-being. I still to this day have never spoken to or even seen this person. For him to try to cause such distress to my child was very cruel behavior and in my opinion he has no business having a medical license. We did not hire him, he was assigned to us because the hospital said we had to use who they deemed would care for her even though we are private pay with private insurance and had our own doctor.

Jun 30th, 2009

other than writing prescriptions, he's not very curious about my situation, nor does he have that ""I care"" ATTITUDE....cold,

Oct 27th, 2008

Sure, Dr. Granese is very prompt but almost like he wants to get you in and out so the next patient can have their 2 minutes. He doesn't listen so it's hard to feel like he even cares.