Dr. Richard Guyer MD Patient Reviews

• 14 reviews

October 24th, 2016
I received a Prodisc L by Dr.Guyer and his wonderful staff and surgical team early in 2016 and I now have my life back. I experienced so much pain and physical limitation that I had forgotten how good life can be. Thank-you so much for your desire to help me and do all that was necessary to bring about my return to health. My recovery is nothing short of miraculous. Thanks again!!

February 16th, 2016
The Link disc replacement
I was referred to Dr. Guyer in 08 somewhere around there) My neurologist thought a Spinal fusion was a little much for someone "so young" Early 30's. I agreed. I went through it all. I did everything I knew to do. To prevent surgery by any means. I had The Link Titanium disc put in L5 S1. It was still being "studied" at the time. I still have pain &Sciatica, but, nothing like it was. Any Sane Dr. Will tell you, your gonna hurt.There's really no 100% fix. If so, it's rare. You have to look at your options && decide what works for you. O believe TBI has improved my life as well as others. As for Dr. R.Guyer, he's great. I'll never forget when I was walking around maybe a few hrs.or so after surgery. He says "Ahh, there she is." He was pleased..I recommend TBI all the time. I live in Texarkana, so, It's not a hideous drive. Good luck! 😀

September 28th, 2015
Dr. Guyer is The Guy!
Dr. Guyer is a DOCTOR as well as a Surgeon, and I'm VERY fortunate to have the opportunity to get his help with my situation.

September 21st, 2015
I went to several doctors when trying to obtain a diagnosis for my back pain. Dr Guyer seen me on my consult and immediately knew I was was in pain and needed help. We began the testing process to see what exactly it was that had been missed. For 5.5 years my MRI had been read as a bulging disc, when indeed I had two herniated disc in my lumbar spine. I had an artificial disc replacement at two levels and would do it all again in a heartbeat!

December 18th, 2013
Highly Recommend This Doctor
I ended up going to Dr. Guyer in Plano, Texas based upon a recommendation from my vet that had been a patient of his. Based upon our prior experience at the Spine Institute of Louisiana in Shreveport, this clinic was far superior the moment we arrived in terms of staff attentiveness and doctor engagement in the rendering of a diagnosis. I had a highly deteriorated L5-S1. After several tests, it was determined that was the pain generator and he recommended an artificial disc replacement. My insurance co. does not cover lumbar ADR, so I went through the process of appealing. I worked closely with the staff during the appeal process and found them to be caring and accommodating. Dr. Guyer, himself, worked on my behalf writing a letter concerning my specific case. My denial was finally overturned and I was able to move forward with my lumbar ADR. I had 4 pre-opt appointments. One of those was with Dr. Guyer whom explained risks/outcomes and answered all my questions. Another appointment was with a nurse that covered the surgery process and the recovery process. The surgery took place at the Texas Health Center for Diagnostics and Surgery which is on the floor underneath Texas Back Institute. My husband and I were very impressed with all the staff at THCDS. They were attentive, courteous and very warm. The surgery happened early in the morning and I was discharged before lunch the next day. Before my discharge, I was seen by the physical therapist, Dr. Guyer, and a couple other doctors. I was well taken care of during my short stay. I highly recommend Texas Back Institute and Dr. Guyer. My husband and I found him to be thoughtful, energetic, courteous and good humored. He also has an excellent reputation amongst other doctors and medical staff. I know because wherever I went for tests and check-ins, I received compliments concerning him.

November 2nd, 2013
Courteous staff. Shari MA was very sweet and helpful. Dr Guyer took his time explaining what was wrong and what my options were. He is not knife happy though iIeventually had surgery with great outcome. He is a compassionate and excellent physician

July 16th, 2013
Wait'd in this small smelly so called office by where he looks @ the ex-rays 4 30-40 mins looked @ 3 mag, stared @ the 3 walls listen'g 2him complain (later found out he had 2 students be'g tutored) leand my head back & shut my eyes & he comes in with his students , First words out of his mouth were take'g 2 many pain pills & No I wasn't take'g 2 many pain pills.he was rude,no respect 4 me, I guess he look'd @ my MRI. After the rude comment he told me I just need'd F.T. & that was the visit a grand totally of 2-3 mins . I wouldn't let him stick a pin in me than let him do surgery on me.
Doctor's Response

I am sorry that you feel that we did not meet your expectations, my goal is to treat everyone with respect and dignity, while responsibly treating them with the best medical care. As one of the premiere spine institutes world wide we do teach orthopedic surgeons in the specialty of spine surgery. This process includes patient care inside and outside the operating room. We try to give adequate time to each patient and treat them as we would a member of our family. Two to three minutes is not by any means normal amount of time that I spend with any patient. I always make sure that my patients are informed and prepared for their treatment plan before they leave they office. If you have any questions please feel free to email us at pslaughter@texasback.com

January 21st, 2013
Best Back Doctor!
Dr. Guyer is great, he is very kind and knows his stuff. He helped treat my back thoroughly and didn't just rush into surgery. Thanks Dr. Guyer!

March 15th, 2012
Bad experience with office staff
My doctor refered me to a surgeon at TBI. You should know that any call to TBI is going to begin with a lengthy wait listening to recorded advertisements for their survices. When I finaly spoke to a person, the maninsisted that I see Dr. Guyer, not the physician my PCP referred me to. This man new nothing about me or my case, it was just his opinion that Dr. Guyer was "better". That seemed odd. I saw Dr. Guyer and he was very nice. He scheduled proceedures and sent me home with hand outs to read. After reading the handouts, I had questions about whether or not the proceedure was really a good choice for me. I called and asked if I should make an appointment to talk to Dr. Guyer an was told that his MA could answer my questions. To her credit, she did listen to each of my questions, but her answers were always, "I don't know." I cancelled my proceedure and am seeking a new referral. I'm sure the physicians are great, but the office staff greatly increased my stress during an already stressful time.

February 16th, 2012
Dr Guyer is the best Spinal / Back Surgeon in the WORLD
I had been having chronic lower back pain for many years, and was being treated by narcotics by another Dr. I went to TBI for a second opinion (Trophy Club) and between Dr. Guyer and Dr. Langford, they not only got me off all NARCOTICs, they patched up my back to the point where I am virtually pain free, and back to doing activities I was doing prior to all the chronic pain.I highly recommend Texas Back to everyoone who thinks they have to live with Chronic back pain and Narcotics are NOT the answer. I truly believe Dr. Langford and Dr. Guyer saved my life!

January 31st, 2012
simply the best
Dr. Guyer is honestly the best doctor. He treated my condition very conservatively and only suggested surgery as a last resort. I got my life back because of Dr. Guyer!

July 14th, 2011
Don't go to Dr. Guyer
My 84 year old mother suffered severe, constant pain from spinal stenosis. She went to Dr Guyer for over 2 years. At first he suggested surgery, then later said he wouldn't do surgery, and then suddenly said he would do a procedure that he had told us he would never do on her. No consistency or explanations ever. He totally rushed us in and out and never spoke to us, just into his microphone. We went to another dr., he diagnosed the problem in 5 minutes, she had surgery and is totally pain free now. Our biggest regret is that we wasted 2 years with Dr. Guyer.
Doctor's Response

Thank you for your comment. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. My goal is to always treat each patient individually and with the utmost care and respect. I am glad to hear your mother is doing well. If you would like to discuss your experience more and let us know how we can make our program better in the future, please feel free to email us at pslaughter@texasback.com