Internists, Endocrinologist (diabetes, hormones)

24600 S Tamiami Trl
Ste 400
Bonita Springs, FL 34134
239-948-3761
Locations and availability (3)

2.5

|  Life Saver  |  show details
Jun 5th, 2013

I have been treated by Dr. Weiss for probably 13 years, he has saved my life more than once. He always takes time to ask how I am feeling, how meds are doing, and explaining what each test is for and what results mean. I rarely wait to be seen and never feel rushed thru my exam. He has worked to get me off certain drugs and when test results were not satisfactory looked for the cause rather than just add another drug. Thru this found a rare tumor. Other Drs. just added more drugs, Dr. Weiss searches for answers, Is so knowledgeable in areas beyond his expertise. I drive 100 miles to see him and have sent lots more to see him and they all rave about his treatment, also. Getting some off all drugs. I trust him more than any other doctor I have ever been treated by. Wish there was more than 4 stars.

|  So disappointed in this doctor!  |  show details
Oct 14th, 2012

My first and only visit with this doctor went well. I thought he really cared about me and seemed to be a good listener and communicator.....I was so wrong...when things didn't go as expected, there was no follow up or indication that this doctor cared about what happened to me. I am an RN and was so disappointed in this doctor and his office staff. It was a crushing and frightening experience for me. I am waiting to see a new doctor to finally get the medical care I need. I have never experienced this lack of care anywhere with any physician before...every patient deserves better than this!

Jul 9th, 2012

I feel like he wasn't listening to my concern of my health. I feel like he just did his duty be seeing me, but not actually listening to me and then dealing with it. I think his staff is busy, and not caring so much on the patient more than the work. The wait time was okay.

Doctor's Response

I am sorry if that is the impression that the staff and myself made you feel. I try my utmost to listen to all appropriate complaints and concerns. We try as best we can, but patients also must have realistic expectations.

|  Review  |  show details
May 31st, 2012

Excellent doctor. Uses his medical knowledge as well as his medical intuition in caring for patients. Altogether a very good doctor!

Thank you very much.

Mar 26th, 2012

mean unprofessional

Doctor's Response

That is unfair without providing details.

Oct 31st, 2011

After today, I will never go back to him. I never liked him from the start but was too lazy to find a new doctor. He always insists on tests you don't need. Also wants to prescribe medicine you don't need. Gave me samples one time to take; I threw them away. Next appointment, he raved over how well I was doing with the medication and prescription he gave me. I never took it! Today, he raved about my blood work and how great everything was. When he wrote out my new prescription, I told him I always use generic; he didn't like that. Went to get it filled and he had written on the prescription that he had emailed to the pharmacy that I could only use brand name prescibed! I was not allowed to get generic. Of course, he gets a kick-back from the pharmaceutical companies. Had to call his office and raise cane to get the generic brand. I do not recommend him to anyone.

Doctor's Response

I am sorry you feel that way. However, why would you see a physician and not want to receive appropriate therapy. Don't you feel that you were being misleading and deceptive but not revealing the truth of your noncompliance. Also, there are no kickbacks. Science and FDA guidelines are why i strongly recommend using branded forms of the thyroid medicines. Thyroid replacement is dosed in micrograms, thus these meds have a very narrow therapeutic window for accuracy. By law a branded product is allowed a variance of .01% and generics are allowed up to .05%. This means for the patient that their thyroid levels can fluctuate greatly because of generic replacement.

|  TEST-DRIVEN DOCTOR ONLY; DON'T TALK TO HIM  |  show details
Oct 25th, 2011

It would be best if you just submit to tests, and do not waste your time trying to communicate with him. His "bedside manner" is the worst I have ever experienced w/any physician I have ever consulted. He should have specialized in "research" only . . . not patients! He reduced me to tears.

|  Cold heart  |  show details
Jun 2nd, 2011

Does not care for his patients. Heartless, self center.I am very dissapointed at him. He was trying to make me do a test that involved being off my medication every year. I found out that the test was unnecessary. He said to me that I will have the cancer back if I do not do the test. I got a second opinion and found out that was not true.

Doctor's Response

Perhaps you are referring to follow up for thyroid cancer. It is appropriate after diagnosis and treatment for thyroid cancer that patients have to yearly screening tests to determine if recurrent or metastatic disease is present. Our patients are not taken off thyroid replacement as this patient has indicated. We use a synthetic form of TSH--Thyrogen--so patients do not have to be removed from their thyroid replacement. However, there are periods when the agent is not available on a periodic basis or the patient's insurance company will not cover it.

|  AMAZING!  |  show details
Jan 6th, 2011

This is the ONLY dr. that was able to figure out both what my actual issue was and a treatment plan that works. I have been his patient for approx. 2 years and am thankful for him EVERYDAY! He has a very nice personality, explains things in an easy to understand manor and is genuine in his care. honestly i look forward to my visits with him to review my progress, its always nice to hear his encouragement and what he feels we need to do next. i trust him 100%

|  Very good specialist  |  show details
Dec 29th, 2010

Dr. Weiss has been treating me since 2005 when I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. I find him to be informed and thorough during examinations. He takes time to answer all of my questions. The course of treatment he prescribed resulted in me recently passing the five year mark as cancer free. I continue to return to Fort Myers for annual follow-up exams with Dr. Weiss even though I now live 800 miles away. I am very satisfied.

|  Approach with meek, uninformed demeanor  |  show details
Sep 2nd, 2010

Do not approach this physician as an informed/empowered patient. I believe he views this as an insult to his intelligence. Even though two physicians recommended that I consult an endrocrinologist as soon as possible, he made me feel that I was wasting his time.

Doctor's Response

I enjoy patients who take an active part in their healthcare. However, there are patients who reference "Dr. Google" and then decide they know more than their physician. The patient can certainly ask questions, but while we can partner in treatment decisions i can not if in my trained judgment agree to their demands if it is not appropriate. Remember as a patient you do have the right to refuse therapy because you as the patient will get the benefit of the treatment. However, as a physician we also have the right to refuse to prescribe what the patient wants, if we believe based on our training and experience that it is not the correct therapy. Patients must understand if we prescribe even at the patients direction we are then taking the responsibility for that choice.

May 26th, 2010

Only went by test results, never asked symptoms or how I was feeling. Felt as though he talked down to me and anything I asked him I was told that was not his specialty I would have to discus my problem with someone else. Sorry I bothered him. Will not return to this doctor.

Doctor's Response

this is a frequent issue especially with patients who have hypothyroidism. Patients do need to understand that symptoms do not always equal that disease entity. Signs and symptoms are suggestive and not diagnostic. There are times the patients want/demand higher doses of thyroid replacement because of fatigue. But higher doses can be detrimental. Over replacement can lead to adverse events such as cardiac dysrythmias and can also lead to bone loss increasing the risk for osteoporosis. Plus, it may actually cloud the patients real issue which unfortunately never gets diagnosed and in the long run that patient suffers as the correct diagnosis and treatment never occurs. It is important to remember signs and symptoms suggest, but do not diagnose the issue. Appropriate lab evaluation and other modalities if needed confirm the diagnosis.

|  Excellent Doctor  |  show details
by Shawn on Dec 17th, 2008

There is no one better to take care of your diabetic needs.