Ophthalmologist (eyes)
Video profile

THE BEST IN PHOENIX show details THE BEST IN PHOENIX
by Phillip Wilkinson on Apr 23rd, 2016

Dr. Kootman and his assistant Dr. Miller were both very thorough in their reviews of my records. So they had a explicit understanding of every thing first and they asked questions to make sure they were getting enough detail about my conditions to be able to accurately plan a surgery. They listened very well to my explanations and to my concerns and to my questions. they took extra time because I am deaf. They did not rush and they were more than willing to answer questions and very politely and as if they welcomed it. Dr. Kootman asked me what eye would I like to operate on first. And thios was the first time a Dr. gave me a choice all the others I visited darted into the room and right back out. They told me what needed to be done but did not ask my opinion or feedback and were not easy to ask questions to. Only one other was but no where near the ease of communication I had with Dr. Kootman and his assistant Dr. Miller.They are a wonderful team and a caring team. I was not tested any where near the extensive testing that Dr. Kootman did at any other clinic for my cataracts. I like the way Dr. Kootman thinks!! Another Opthalmologist thinks so highly of Dr. Kootman that he asked Dr. Kootman to do surgery on his wifes cataracts.

Aug 15th, 2015

every time I saw Dr Kootman he always suggested that I have certain procedures before my cataract surgery. I paid out of pocket $4000 for these procedures. I always felt that he constantly wanted more money for one procedure or another. I feel that I was remiss in not getting a second opinion from another licensed surgeon.

Warm and Fuzzy? show details Warm and Fuzzy?
Mar 6th, 2013

I agree with the last review that Dr. Kootman speaks to women differently than to men even though I'm also highly educated. He's a poor listener and spends little time with patients. He's an excellent cataract surgeon and Spectra is an amazing treatment facility. Just don't look for this surgeon to make you feel warm and fuzzy or to act like a human being, otherwise you'll be bitterly disappointed.

Apr 17th, 2011

My cataract surgery went well, although on the second eye I waited on the gurney for two hours. Speaking of waiting, I never saw him in his office unless I waited atleast an hour (one day it was two hours and I didn't see him until I told them I was leaving); and that was calling first to ask if he was running on time and being told he WAS. He basically acted like I was a dummy when I asked him questions and rushed through his visits with me. Male patients liked him better, although they waited hours in his office also. Female people skills were zero with me, and I'm an intelligent, educated woman.

Jan 13th, 2011

Dr. Kootman was recommended by my eye doctor. After my cataract surgery in both eyes, I can now see at distance and near without glasses! He is a miracle worker. I have recommended him to my friends as well as my family.