Dr. Richard Mathis MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

August 15th, 2016
Best doctor ever!!!
Love, Love, Love Dr. Mathis. He is truly one of a kind as is his staff especially Gretchen love her. Dr. Mathis has a way of explaining everything in a way anyone can understand and when you don't he will draw you a picture lol. He is so knowledgeable and has the best bedside manner, he needs to be cloned before he retires.

April 16th, 2014
Wonderful Physican
My daughter had spent months in the hospital unable to keep down any food or liquids and being fed through an NG tube. The GI doctor who was seeing her refused to believe that the fundoplication she had when she was 6 had slipped, despite an upper GI at Hoag that had been done prior to admission that showed it had. She diagnosed her problem as being psychological. My daughter was retching up to 40 times per minute and had lost over 10% of her body weight. Finally the pediatrician at MCH asked Dr. Mathis to see her to give a second opinion and he immediately diagnosed a slipped fundoplication. After spending 6 weeks re-gaining weight on TPN she finally had her fundo revised and returned to being the happy, healthy teenager we had always known. I will always be grateful to Dr. Mathis. He is a kind, compassionate doctor and he is extremely knowledgeable. He saved my daughter's life.

October 1st, 2013
Forever grateful...
A passionate, knowledgeable GI Physician amongst one of most difficult situations...Cystic Fibrosis. We left San Diego in hopes of finding someone to listen to us and help our daughter thrive and after several visits, looking outside the box and listening to our concerns, our daughter is now thriving and not complaining of tummy aches all day. Thank you for your dedication.

April 30th, 2013
Best doctor... period
He is the best GI you can find for your kids. We've known him for over 13 years. Super patient and work with parents for the best care of our little ones. Very helpful and professional in all matters. Thank you Dr. Mathis !!

August 12th, 2011
very frustrating .....
My son was admitted into the hospital for severe constipation. I begged and begged for the regular pediatric doctors to get a specialist involved because as soon as they took him off the meds through his ng tube he would back right up again. They refused to get a GI involved until day 8. They than gave me some very rude lady Dr. Herman! I went round and round with her for days and all she wanted to do is point fingers and tell me it was my fault he was so constipated. So after she kept accusing me, and yelled at me I told her NOT to come back to my room. So I talked to some admin people and the next morning Dr. Mathis showed up. All I can say is wow! He was so kind, so clear on his wants as far as tests went his treatment plan and really took my sons fears and concerns seriously and talked to him in a way he would.understand him. We are on day 14 in the hospital, but I do believe we are on the right road to recovery because of Dr.Mathis!

October 1st, 2010
Caring and committed
My now 6 year-old daughter has been seeing Dr. Mathis for over 4 years now, and one of the few doctors in So. Cal with real experience with her condition. He is her favorite doctor because of his great bedside manner. Although there have been times we have had to wait a long time to see him, he has always spent time with us addressing my concerns. He has even twice agreed to see us at the end of the day after we had arrived there late. His staff are efficient although not overly warm. We have NEVER had the problems described by one of the reviewers on this page.

September 21st, 2010
Dr. Mathis walked out of the office without even seeing my daughter, leaving her crying in the waiting room. Despite the fact that we had secured this appointment well in advance and he was in the office when we arrived, he let us wait well over half an hour and then just decided to leave before seeing us. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS DOCTOR TO ANYONE!!! He's an egotistical, self-centered doctor who gets zeroes across the board for customer service and caring about his patients. Look somewhere else if you're trying to find a doctor who truly cares about your child!!!!!

August 18th, 2008
Hospital Experience
I am 14, and I was dying in the hospital, misdiagnosed with an eating disorder. Dr. Mathis was the first doctor to really, honestly, listen to me. And he is the reason why I am now happily a healthy weight and enjoying life. He was the only, of a long series of doctors, to diagnose my acid reflux, hiatel hernia, and ulcers.