Dr. Richard Ostrup MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

November 6th, 2016
Herniated Discs
My husband had lost some feeling in his limbs and numbing from the waist down. He was referred to a Neurologist, I made the appointment, but then changed it based on reviews and speaking to the front desk person, very rude. Mean while I was researching Neurosurgeons and found the top ten in the nation. Dr Ostrup was one, and he happened to be in San Diego. I immediately checked his reviews and all I read was amazing things. I called to have my husband visit him instead of the other doctor. Erica, answered and was the nicest person, she scheduled my husband as soon as she could and told me to call to see if they had cancellations, which is rare. I knew then she cared. We went to see Dr. Ostrup and, boy were the reviews about him right!! He has years of experience, he is considerate, polite, talks to you not at your, and he is humble. He even calls his patients in!! how many doctors out there do that? Practically none. He performed the surgery on my husband, he had three herniated discs. The day of the surgery my husband started to feel almost back to normal. It has been almost a month and he is just about back to feeling 100% normal. We are so grateful and thankful for Dr. Ostrup. He is the doctor to see if you want not only the best and with years of experience, but one that cares and takes the time to talk to his patients, listen to concerns, answer questions etc. We are so grateful for having him in San Diego and to have him as my husbands doctor.

October 12th, 2016
Dr. Richard Ostrup was a highly recommended referral for my degenerative spondylolisthesis. I was experiencing excruciating pain and losing the ability to walk and use my legs. Dr. Ostrup performed a laminectory for spondylolisthesis, which was causing severe central spinal stenosis. My pain is gone and I am now able to walk without a walker or a cane and am not in need of pain medication. Dr. Ostrup is an exceptional neurosurgeon who is realistic and compassionate. His practice manager, Erica, is remarkably kind and proficient.

August 22nd, 2016
Retired attorney
Dr Ostrup performed a three level cervical fusion on me in a five hour surgery. To my surprise I was ready to go home the next day and Dr. Ostrup concurred. Since then I have only taken probably five of the prescribed pain pills and an occasional Tylenol. Excellent results. Great surgeon Highly recommend!!

May 30th, 2016
Dr. Ostrup...FANTASTIC!
I was in severe pain when I made my appointment with Dr. Ostrup. I had tried physical therapy, had been to a chiropractor, had epidural shots and nothing could relieve my suffering for any considerable period of time. The office staff, I spoke with Erica who is terrific, got my appointment and had my consultation with Dr. Ostrup. He was very courteous, informative, absolutely no pressure to have the surgery and provided me with some surgery options. After having the surgery I am able to honestly say that I am pain free and have resumed my normal activities that I was doing before the surgery. If you are experiencing that chronic pain that just won't go away you will understand what a relief (miracle) it feels like to be "normal" once again. I am very grateful to Dr. Ostrup for the great work he did in giving me my life "back."

March 10th, 2016
Thoracic Spine Fusion/Bone Metastise
I was so incredibly lucky to have Dr Ostrup as my surgeon. My surgery was an emergency. I had a tumor that was compressed on my spinal cord. This could have led to paralysis. Thanks to Dr. Ostrup paralysis did not happen. He was so caring and explained everything to me with such compassion that I immediately knew I was going to be fine. My surgery was 6 months ago. I recovered extremely well. I have no pain. My spine fusion was a huge success. I went back to work 3 months ago. I walk, do water exercises. I am living a normal life and I owe this all to Dr. Ostrup. His staff is wonderful. Erica is so nice and caring.

February 23rd, 2016
Very pleased
I chose Dr. Ostrup based on his excellent reputation both in the medical community and among patients. He is very capable, kind, thorough, and takes the time to answer questions.

September 5th, 2015
What a great doctor!!
Dr. Ostrup has been my surgeon for 5 years. I walked in a cripple bent over in pain. I am off pain meds and can function normally now. I am so grateful!!

August 18th, 2015
Disc Decompression and Laminectomy
My experience with Dr. Richard Ostrup was nothing short of wonderful from start to finish! Typically, a medical assistant or a nurse calls you from the waiting room, but here at his La Jolla office, Dr. Ostrup comes out to greet you, a real personal touch! Immediately upon speaking with him about the condition of my back, Dr. Ostrup displayed a very compassionate, confident and relaxed demeanor. I also found that he had a very relatable sense of humor. I felt very at ease and comfortable as I could tell that he understood exactly how I felt and wanted to help my situation. Dr. Ostrup was able to explain how I was feeling and the discomfort I had without me really having to tell him, which was a relief because before seeing him I didn’t feel that anyone else understood. He thoroughly reviewed all of my options and recommended the least evasive approach to improve my quality of life. I never felt rushed to make a decision, although after our consult I decided to move forward that day. While I waited for my surgery to be schedule, which was not long they helped me to manage my pain. When my pain became so overwhelming, they went out of their way to reschedule my surgery by moving it up a week! Sometimes patients can have unrealistic expectations on how they will feel after having surgery; I was one of those patients! I thought all of my pain would be gone right after surgery, but he was very honest with me so I knew exactly what to expect. So far everything that he explained to me happened exactly how he said it would. I feel that my experience was picture perfect and I feel blessed that I was in such good hands. On the day of my surgery, he made himself available to make sure I didn’t have any last questions and that I was comfortable. The team for the surgery was excellent as well, which eased my anxiety immensely and before I knew it, it was over. Besides the pain from the incision, my back pain was gone immediately. Six weeks after my surgery my leg pain was completely gone and my back felt great. It is now two months after surgery and the sensation that I had lost in my foot has come back and I continue to regain strength. I had several follow-up appointments after the surgery and each time I felt that Dr. Ostrup and his office assistant Erica really cared about my well-being. Getting appointments for follow-up care were easy and convenient. I was even late to one appointment because of traffic and they still accommodated me, instead of making me reschedule. Before I had the surgery, the pain interfered with even the smallest of task and I had difficulty sleeping. The pain made it hard for me to play or even interact with my children. Having the surgery was the best decision for me, I feel like I have my life back! If surgery is an option for you, I highly recommend and trust Dr. Ostrup for the job.

July 13th, 2015
Dr. Ostrup and his assistant Erica gave me the best treatment and care I could have imagined! Thank you so much!

May 6th, 2015
Simply an amazingly wonderful man......left his office after the first visit with he deciding the best option at that point was to NOT operate........wow, a doc who gets paid to operate being honest enough to not.....that made my day, and, he only got better as a man, and a doctor, as time went by......finally operated after much consultation with others, and the with operation then being more extensive than initially thought.........he only becomes an awesome person by the day in this persons view.........try him....you'll never find better, because, you will have found the best.....

April 25th, 2015
Patient
This was my fifth back surgery the first three by a highly rated Orthopedic Surgeon from San Diego. All three surgery eventually failed. This time I went to Doctor Ostrup he repaired the damage that was done by the previous doctors. Cut out a lot of old scar tissue . Dr Ostrup and I talked about what I wanted to do after the surgery. I have a very active life style and wanted to be able to be active after the surgery .He cut out a lot of old scar tissue and Im sure a lot of damaged disc and bone. Fused L4 L5 S1 with steel rods for extra strength and durability. It has been 6 weeks and I feel better than I have for years. Dr. Ostrup gave me my life back. Theres no way that I could have lived just reading books and watching TV. I have about two months to go and I can start sailing again and working around the house. It is amazing how many Medical professionals I have asked who would they have repair there back. Without me telling them who I was considering all of them said it would be Dr Ostrup and I mean all of them. The only complaint is how long it takes to get the surgery done. I truly believe Dr Ostrup is the best in Southern Ca. and a truly a wonderful person. man.

March 26th, 2015
Excellent Work
Dr. Ostrup did a excellent job putting my skull cap back in. I had a severe head injury where I bled in all three levels in the brain and was in induced comma for 2 in 1/2 weeks. I was in Santa Barbara when this happened and there was known Neurosurgeon there who has is one of 35 of the best in the world. His name is Dr. Zauner and I went back to the hospital to meet him since I don't remember being there for 1 month before I was transferred to San Diego. Dr. Zauner wanted to put the skull cap back in, but my insurance wouldn't cover it. So Dr. Ostuup put it back in and when I saw Dr .Zuaner to thank him for his excellent work, he said "can I touch your head" (of course where Dr. Ostrup put the cap back in), then he said "I couldn't of done a better job". I believe when another Neurosurgeon who is excellent in their work, compliments another Neurosurgeon it shows that Dr. Ostrup is a great doctor and I would recommend him to anyone who needs his practice.