Neurological Surgeon, Peripheral Nerve Surgery
Video profile

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by "Ole" Olson on May 6th, 2015

Simply an amazingly wonderful man......left his office after the first visit with he deciding the best option at that point was to NOT operate........wow, a doc who gets paid to operate being honest enough to not.....that made my day, and, he only got better as a man, and a doctor, as time went by......finally operated after much consultation with others, and the with operation then being more extensive than initially thought.........he only becomes an awesome person by the day in this persons view.........try him....you'll never find better, because, you will have found the best.....

Sr. Administrative Assistant show details Sr. Administrative Assistant
by Patricia L on May 2nd, 2015

Was in a lot of pain for several years due to severe spinal stenosis along with spondylolisthesis (one disk slips down over another and caused a 25% spinal column blockage). Tried to avoid a spinal fusion, but it seemed the only solution. Went a year after diagnosis before deciding on surgery. No pressure from Dr. O - his solution was, "Call me when you're ready." I did my research, got a second opinion and decided on Dr. Ostrup. He was previous Division Chief of Neurosurgery at Scripps Memorial Hospital and is currently in that position at Sharp Memorial. Learning the other physicians also select him to operate on their families was a confidence boost in my choice. Had a double spinal fusion in Sept 2014 and am progressing at a normal rate. I can stand up straight and walk without pain for the first time in years. Dr. Ostrup is not only a gifted surgeon, he makes you feel like a long time friend during consultations. Even though he is extremely busy, he never rushes and makes you feel less important than you should be. I would definitely select him again and to say he pretty much "walks on water" in my book is an understatement. No regrets at all!!

The Doc and his right hand show details The Doc and his right hand
by Manny D. on Apr 29th, 2015

This isn’t my first rodeo, I had a laminectomy done nearly 2 decades ago with success for 17 yrs. Now keep in mind that these were two separate occasions with the same goal in mind which Dr. O has completed. Three months later and I’m pain free 97% of the time, it does flare up from time to time but who cares when one isn’t taking medication to cope through the day. I respect Dr. O because I did my due diligence and was referred by the powers that be in the higher executive level of the healthcare fields, in all actuality it was healthcare provider of the competition. What I like about the doc is that he straight to the point. Dr. O has a great set of hands and has my vote of confidence. His staff or right hand admin assistant Erica E. is another one to boast about. On point both Doc and staff. Thanks for everything Pain free Manny D.

Patient show details Patient
by Scott Gelow on Apr 25th, 2015

This was my fifth back surgery the first three by a highly rated Orthopedic Surgeon from San Diego. All three surgery eventually failed. This time I went to Doctor Ostrup he repaired the damage that was done by the previous doctors. Cut out a lot of old scar tissue . Dr Ostrup and I talked about what I wanted to do after the surgery. I have a very active life style and wanted to be able to be active after the surgery .He cut out a lot of old scar tissue and Im sure a lot of damaged disc and bone. Fused L4 L5 S1 with steel rods for extra strength and durability. It has been 6 weeks and I feel better than I have for years. Dr. Ostrup gave me my life back. Theres no way that I could have lived just reading books and watching TV. I have about two months to go and I can start sailing again and working around the house. It is amazing how many Medical professionals I have asked who would they have repair there back. Without me telling them who I was considering all of them said it would be Dr Ostrup and I mean all of them. The only complaint is how long it takes to get the surgery done. I truly believe Dr Ostrup is the best in Southern Ca. and a truly a wonderful person. man.

Excellent Work show details Excellent Work
Mar 26th, 2015

Dr. Ostrup did a excellent job putting my skull cap back in. I had a severe head injury where I bled in all three levels in the brain and was in induced comma for 2 in 1/2 weeks. I was in Santa Barbara when this happened and there was known Neurosurgeon there who has is one of 35 of the best in the world. His name is Dr. Zauner and I went back to the hospital to meet him since I don't remember being there for 1 month before I was transferred to San Diego. Dr. Zauner wanted to put the skull cap back in, but my insurance wouldn't cover it. So Dr. Ostuup put it back in and when I saw Dr .Zuaner to thank him for his excellent work, he said "can I touch your head" (of course where Dr. Ostrup put the cap back in), then he said "I couldn't of done a better job". I believe when another Neurosurgeon who is excellent in their work, compliments another Neurosurgeon it shows that Dr. Ostrup is a great doctor and I would recommend him to anyone who needs his practice.

Look no fuurther than Dr. Ostrup show details Look no fuurther than Dr. Ostrup
by Adam A. on Mar 23rd, 2015

If youre on this page Im thinking youre trying to do your homework on Dr.Ostrup and if you truly want an honest opinion, well here it is. Dr.Ostrup is an A doctor and a great man as well who truly cares and wants what best for your well being. He was great at explaining the situation to me and my Mother, what the procedure would do for me and the recovery process which im currently in. I can go on and on, but trust me when I say this is the Dr. you want to go with, his assistant Erica is great as well. You will not be dissapointed and only doing yourself a favor.

Mar 19th, 2015

Dr. Ostrup is an amazing caregiver. The undivided attention and compassion he showed me is much appreciated. At least 3 doctors and 3 friends recommended him. I can walk without pain and am ready to start massaging again. Thank you, Dr. Ostrup

Amazing Neurosurgeon show details Amazing Neurosurgeon
by Ryan on Dec 15th, 2014

I wanted to take a moment to help readers understand how wonderful of a Neurosurgeon Dr. Ostrup is. I have spinal stenosis and I have undergone prior experimental surgery from the late Dr.Waltz whom used artificial gel disk back in 2007. After needing to find another Neurosurgeon that was familiar with such uncommon parcigures I was referred to Dr. Ostrup. When I met Dr. Ostrup I knew that his experience and knowledge and understanding demenor he was the right person for the job if I wanted to continue walking and lead a productive life. I want to personally thru this blog "Thank you so much Dr. Ostrup for your amazing ability to give me back my ability to walk again and lead a pain free life for now!!!"

An Oasis in the Desert show details An Oasis in the Desert
by Belinda Lanois on Dec 11th, 2014

Dr. Ostrup is part of my HMO and he was worth the wait. I had seen a number of other doctors in my HMO prior to Dr. O and none of them seemed to be understanding of my symptoms. It was extremely frustrating. Dr. O came highly recommended through a friend and I am so thankful I contacted his office. Dr. Ostrup was the first doctor who listened to me share my symptoms and was genuinely concerned as well as empathetic. When he looked at my MRI, he validated why I was having the symptoms I was having. It was an incredible sense of relief to have a doc who finally understood. I can't leave out that Dr. O also has a great sense of humor that really adds to his bedside manner. Dr. O has always taken the time to answer all of my questions, even before going into surgery. Not only is Dr. Ostrup amazing, Joleeen, his business associate, has been nothing but kind, helpful, and sweet. There is a reason Dr. Ostrup is one of the top surgeons in San Diego - because he is top notch. Thank you Dr. Ostrup!

Apr 26th, 2012

Wonderful experience. No waiting, proper diagnosis. Amazing results. Very attentive and impressed with his follow-up post surgery.

Still in Pain show details Still in Pain
Sep 30th, 2011

Ostrup is not interested in helping. He was rude, makes you wait longer than an hour an half to see him for him to Show how much he doesnt care. His staff was over stressed, overworked and it showed.He at one time must have been good..to bad he let it go to his head and he is HORRIBLE..unless u like to be in pain..he will keep you there. Save yourself and go somewhere else.

The Best Neurosurgeon! show details The Best Neurosurgeon!
May 14th, 2011

Dr. Ostrup is the best there is. Sometimes it is a very long wait to see him, but it is definitely worth it.

Great Physician show details Great Physician
Mar 15th, 2011

Yes, it is a bit of a nightmare to schedule with him and you will always wait forever- but he did my surgery and is the most caring, competent physician I have encountered. You have to wait to be taken care of by the best. A nurse told me in the hospital after my surgery that Dr. Ostrup is thought of as the best neurosurgwon in San Diego by his fellow MDs and health care professionals. He will take a long time with you in consults and at your bedside. A wonderful man and physician. My son wants ot be a doc and I hope he grows up to be like Dr. Ostrup.

Terrible - do not go to this doctor show details Terrible - do not go to this doctor
May 11th, 2010

Wait time of 3 hours is not unusual. He is a VERY poor listener. Could care less about what I had to say. Caused a month delay in care because he wouldn't listen. I fired him after being in his care for 2 months trying to get to surgery...he's a jerk! Not my first time seeing him - trust me on this review or go wait in his waiting room and listen to the other poor souls in his care.

Nova Scotia show details Nova Scotia