Dr. Richard Serano MD Patient Reviews

• Neurology Fayetteville, NC

March 30th, 2016
This was my first visit with Dr. Serano and I must say out of the 4 neurologists that I have previously been established with, he is the only one that gave me a thorough examination from head to toe in such great depth and detail. He is very knowledgeable and ensures that you fully understands his findings and treatments. Definitely not your ordinary Neurologist and so far I highly recommend him and I also recommend any future patients to go prepared to take notes or voice record, because he has a lot of beneficial information to give

June 17th, 2015
He is the best... but
Dr. Serano has been my doctor close to 10 years. He is different, sometimes rough and seems to come out as a very demanding person, but I have to say... I believe he is one of the reasons I am still walking. He knows his stuff. Now... his appointments can be very stressful because there is no way you will be seen at the time you are scheduled or even close to it. You can't expect or make plans to go anywhere after the appointment because there is no telling what time will you get out. His staff ... well... they are one of a kind. Most of them are ok but a few need some customer service training. His building need some TLC and remodeling. Pressure washing outside will help a lot. Oh and another thing... he doesn't take some insurance so when you become a out of network client... your bill is going to run you dry by the time you meet your deductible. FYI. For the most part I give him a 4 star because he is the best... the extra star ... his staff and building need some attention.

May 12th, 2015
two different people
He was amazing. He was very thorough, his bed side manner was brilliant, and i was so excited to have finally found a great neurologist, i could see myself sticking with for a long time. For me, it is a dream come true, to find a quality doctor, that has a personality i can connect with. Rarely for me, do i ever find these two, very important (probably the most important), traits in the same doctor exist . Yes, the wait was long, but i figured it was worth it, and it was, for the very hard to find, quality of care i was getting (small price to pay for the gem i found)......oh, but then.... out of no where, he completely changed. Literally! His personality was differant ( mean, gruff, and very matter of fact). Using the word arrogant does no justice. Not only with me, but even to his staff.The ranting (through my closed door) was so loud and stern, i was uncomfortable for them out there. his look was disheveled, even the way he spoke was different. Everything we had spoke about, as a treatment plan,he had seemed to change his perspective on, he was lost. He hardly seemed as knowledgable when he spoke, and prior i was impressed. I was, and still am, floored. He is truly a danger, just on his instability alone. The doctor is in need of some doctoring himself. I literally prayed for him. he had me so worried by hid change. Praying was all i knew to do. I hope he gets help. Seriously!!

March 17th, 2015
Dr. Serrano believes in all his patients and always go above and beyond!

January 15th, 2015
LONG WAIT
had a 1pm apt and I wasn't called back until after they closed. I did not get out of there until 6:45

October 2nd, 2014
So Glad He wasn't my Doctor 16 years ago when I had Neuroolgical issues
My experience with this "doctor" was in Cape Fear Valley Hospital. After 4 days of waiting for him to show up after an order was given for a neurological consult, he finally showed up at 12 am to do his "assessment". Not only was he extremely rude to me, he was extremely rude and unprofessional with the 14 year old patient he had been called there to see. After a week of standing by this child's bedside, observing her body stiffen up uncontrollably, drool all over herself, try to claw at her face and belly, this "doctor" decides just because his eeg doesn't show evidence of it, that she is not having a seizure, just a panic attack. This child could not respond to anything for a good hour after these episodes occur. When she did open her eyes, it took her another good 15-20 minutes to be able to speak and even know what her full name was and where she was at. This "doctor" was given a very detailed description of these episodes. Three nurses at the time would come in every time it happened and witnessed everything I have described. But because he hasn't seen it, and his eeg doesn't show it, it's not real. My advice to anyone referred to see this doctor is to refuse.

July 21st, 2014
(I only knew him in the mid 80's & 90's) Then he was irresponsible & immature.
He meant well, and was very compassionate,but he could not bear to see anybody in acute pain. Thus many, way too many narcotic pain killers were handed out to me for the 1st time, to my eventual detriment. Even tho I was mid-30s with a career & and 2 infants I was a virgin as far as drugs went.My father and uncle were ranking State Troopers. That's who raised me from the crib, and had me protected until a year after he died. I knew what it was like being irresponsible;but certainly not w/ my clients.

January 26th, 2014
disapointed and puzzled
Dr Serano is very good at what he does. He has helped me tremendously. I do not want to see a P.A.and I do not like his new PA! She thinks she knows it all, very inexperienced and acts like you know nothing.I am a very patient and understanding person but when I went in feeling great and She wants to run all kinds of expensive test unwarranted "something is wrong with this picture!!"?????!!!. ?? I am charged for seeing a Dr and see a Pa. So I think I am going to find a new DR. as I think he would do in this case........ The Staff is great, but they do have a big turn over.

August 27th, 2013
Dr. Serano is the best Dr in NC. I've been his patient for 14 years, he takes care of every patient and finds out more out than any other Dr. If it would not be for him I don't know where I would be today. Yes sometimes you have to wait but he takes his time with every patient, so I don't mind.He makes you feel like you are the only patient he has, not just 10 minutes like some other Doctors.

April 2nd, 2013
HORRIBLE experience
I had been a patient at Highland Neurology for several years. It was fine for a while and Dr. Serano did give me proper testing and a diagnosis of my neurology issues, but because he openly admits to being bipolar, he treated me like garbage!! His mood swings were horrible and during one specific appointment, he left the office to go have lunch with a pharmaceutical vendor. I sat in the exam room for over an hour waiting for him to finish his lunch. Although accurate and thorough in his testing, his bedside manner is not acceptable. Because I felt this way, I got discharged by him from his practice. I was left with no neurologic care and no anti-convulsant medication refills which are VERY important to a person with Epilepsy. I would never recommend him because of his attitude and terrible bedside manner. If anyone can try to get past those things and his bipolar disorder, he is really thorough with what he does. I also have wondered if I was "discharged" because he does not like accepting the insurance I have.

March 18th, 2013
I was a patient of Dr Serano for 6 yrs until I missed ONE appt w/o calling so he booted me out. I didn't even know they had that policy. One day I was a happy patient, then I was left in the dark. Dr Serano's health seems to be deteriorating quickly. He also has fibro and does extensive research in that area, As a dr who specializes in fibromyalgia, he was my hero when I first moved here. My fibro had me confine to my bed 24/7. After a million lab tests (seriously) he put me on a strict regimine & I thrived for the first time in over 10 yrs. Then the apparent meltdown began to happen. I noticed he began to take longer & longer to actually see his pts. Our avg wait time was 3 hrs. I didn't mind at first as w/ most pts, we tho't he was worth it. Then his demeanor began to change to the dark side. I actually heard him say to his office staff AND pts waiting to check out, that if he was wearing black, to NEVER speak to him!! What kind of nut job does that?? His wonderful PA is gone now, too, so I wonder if he ran his partner & friend of 20+ yrs off as well. I guess, in a way, he did me a favor. I no longer will be subjected to his fancy blood tests & medical trials, not to mention his 3+ hr wait times. Until he gets his personal health problems resolved, I suggest you find another dr. I only rate him at one star b/c I used to be a nurse before becoming disabled w/ this baffling disease, & I know how important it is to have a competent dr. Kudos for what office staff he still has. They are great!

August 6th, 2012
Excellent in his Field
I have being Dr. Serano for several years now. He is very attentive and knowledgable about his field. He attends conferences to stay up to date on the latest research and treatments. He always answers my questions and is very easy to talk to. I would definitely recommend seeing Dr. Serano.