Dr. Richard Surowiec MD Patient Reviews

• Internal Medicine Beavercreek, OH

July 14th, 2016
Excellent bedside manner
Excellent bedside manner. Listens to you when you talk to him, maintaining eye contact with you. Doesn't multitask while talking with you. Thorough and concerned. Would recommend him without question!

May 12th, 2011
I have been treated at the Samaritan Clinic for two years. Recently, Dr. Surowiec took over for Dr. Thompson, who was wonderful. About four months ago, I started getting hives. I then started getting swelling in my arm, as well as swollen lips, eyes and tongue. I had been asking Dr. Surowiec for help, and he virtually ignored my concerns. In the last six weeks, I have gone to the clinic during an attack, with my eyes lips and tongue swollen. The first time, he left me sitting for more than two hours (that's not an exaggeration). As the symptoms were getting more severe, and my throat was feeling tight, I left the clinic and went to the ER. There, they immediatly gave me a shot of Visteril, some benadryl, and IM Decadron (a steroid to stop the swelling and hives--I was covered in them.) The ER doctors advised I return to Dr. Surowiec to determine if this was an immune problem. They advised a course of steriods to keep these attacks at bay until a cause could be determined. When I returned to the office, Dr. Surowiec advised that he did not think my condition called for any medication, and he sent me home without seeing me or review the records form the hospital (which are immediatly on the clinic's computer).The second time I was in his office with an attack, he advised his nurse to give me five over the counter benadry to go with the visteril I had been prescribed by my psychiatrist. My tongue was a blue/dark purple color, my eyes were swollen, my lips were huge, and I had hives. The back of my tongue was swelling up and causing a gag reflex. I went back to the ER. Again, IV fluids, Decadron, Visteril, Benadryl, all in high doses (according to the doctor.) They wrote me five prescriptions, and asked that I return to see Dr. Surowiec for "further investigation" as to the cause. They lectured me on the dangerousness of the situation, and that I should call a squad next time. They advised each attack could be worse, and could certainly be deadly.I returned to see Dr. Surowiec, and he refused to see me (please understand this is NOT his business; he is an employee). I presented the prescriptions and he flatly refused to fill them (stating these meds were not necessary), again, without review the notes from the ER. One of the prescriptions was an inhaler to be used in the event that I can't breathe during an attack. He wouldn't fill it. One was for an Epi-Pen (prevents anaphalactic (sp) shock. He refused to fill it. The others were drugs to keep the attacks at bay. He refused.Admittedly, I was very, very upset and I went to the director of the clinic who advised she couldn't challenge his "medical decisions." One staff member indicated that he didn't like me (although he can't refuse to see me) because I "cry too much." And he has evidently suggested to at least one person that I shouldn't be taken too seriously because I am "so unstable." He continues to have "chats" with people advising that I am creating these problems. It is my opinion that, at best, this man is a very, very poor doctor. He is rude, condescending, dismissive, and in my case, unprofessional and dangerously ignorant. I am stuck at the clinic until I can get another office to take me. I intend to report him to anyone who will listen.