Overall Review

2.8

January 27th, 2016
Rip off did not do what he said he would do!
I had liposuction several years back and I was left the same way I went in was so disappointed I just gave up! In hindsight I should have pursued him and asked for a portion of my money back... I wish I would have had a better surgeon... Now I'm looking again

May 11th, 2015
Extremely satisfied with my results! Highly recommend!

April 20th, 2014
Underrated Plastic Surgeon
Dr. Vagley performed a facelift and other combined work on my face several years ago. At first, I expected a miracle, however, after 3+ years since the surgery, I have re-evaluated his work. I am 78 years old. I had interviewed 4 surgeons prior to going with Dr. Vagley. I went with him because his prices were right in the middle and he talked to me at length about the surgery both on the phone and in his office. He went over the procedure with me and told me what to expect. He never said that he could perform a miracle but he did say that there would be improvement. He was right. I will be 79 in a few weeks. People take me for 20 years younger, including my primary physician at the VA who stated it last week. Objectively, Dr. Vagley is a "hand on" kind of doctor. He is as dedicated as he is efficient. The surgery went well and the problem was when I suddenly came out of the anesthesia, the stitches opened which was a combination of many things however, I erroneously blamed Dr. Vagley. I have looked at many post plastic surgery patients and no two turn out alike. I have looked at faces done by doctors that charged three times that of Dr. Vagley's fees but with very poor results. I think we all want a miracle. I recommend Dr. Vagley not only because he is sensitive to his patients feelings and needs, he is as good a plastic surgeon one can ever find and he is right here is Pittsburgh. A friend of mine went to Philadelphia to a recognized plastic surgeon know for re-doing work of other surgeons. That doctor not only charged his $15,000.00 for the work, the outcome was worse than the original. Dr. Vagley's PIP is conveniently located and he is available not because he is not busy, it is because he is a fast hard working efficient doctor that gets the job done, but he is never done with the patient. He considers all of us who went to him his patient forever, regardless of who we turn to. I am preparing for an other procedure in the future with Dr. Vagley.

October 27th, 2013
A great experience so far....
I have been thinking of getting a tummy tuck for some time now. Many surgeons suggest that I lose more weight , but I am happy with my current weight and all I want corrected is the contour of my tummy to release the bubble on top. Dr, Richard T. vagley is a wonderful person and goes beyond the call of duty. He is a Board Certified and he is within the UPMC network and has 41 years of experience.

October 22nd, 2013
How is this man practicing medicine? Doesn't the Pennsylvania board of medicine EVER take note of these things? You would think by now he would have seriously injured a person. HAS HE BEEN SUED YET????? Thank God for him patients sign release forms.....surgery at your own risk. I would risk going to Tiajuana Mexico for plastic surgery before going to this guy. I had to give one star to complete review. Should be -5.

June 25th, 2013
Warning...Dr. Vagley can be harmful to your looks and health!
I had a free consultation with Dr. Vagley and when I entered his office, there was a tall heavily made up young girl at the receptionist desk. She said Dr. Vagley was not in yet. There was no one around the office. There were boxes and boxes of files on the countertop. It appeared that either the doctor was just moving in or out. The receptionist said that he has been here for a while. I told the receptionist that I would return a few days later, which I did. This time there was no receptionist and there were more boxes piled all over the place. To my surprise, Dr. Vagley was sitting at the receptionist desk typing. He was courteous and greeted me. We went into the waiting room that had chairs in a circle facing a center round table with artificial flowers in it. Place felt very strange. Dr. Vagley quoted a price for a face, eye and neck left that was much lower than anyone else that I had visited. A few days later Dr. Vagley called me and asked if he could schedule the surgery. I put him off. He must have called me 25 times, so I gave in and paid him. I went to the surgery center at the Waterfront. As he prepped me, I asked him if he was going to mark my face like most surgeons do so that he could follow the lines. Dr. Vagley said that he had done this type of surgery so many times that he did not have to mark my face. As I was coming out of the general Anastesia, I began to choke and flailed my arms and moved so much that the stitches opened up. They put me under again and when I work up, I was so sick. My face was swollen like a big watermelon. Dr. Vagley blamed me for jumping around when I was waking up. He stated that most young people do that, so I must be young at heart. I received a large surgery room bill a few weeks later. Dr. Vagley said that the second surgery was not paid for. I objected and threatened to sue him and the operating room staff. He stuck up for the staff and asked me for several hundred more dollars which I did not give to him. Post operation care was terrible. He has these big thick hands, I noticed. Not at all what you would expect from a plastic surgeon. My face did not turn out very good. My left side where the stitches opened is slightly wrinkled. The surgery of my neck was unsuccessful and my eyes had 0% improvement. As I complained to Dr. Vagley Frankenstein, he qualified the surgery with the statement that many times there has to be a subsequent surgery to “clean up”. I did just that but with Dr. Brian Hiel. This Vagley is a butcher. He has been sued by many people and I was stupid in going to him. At least my daughter realized that he was a crack pot and stayed away from him. I wish someone had told me about him, but when you see a doctor answering his own phone; typing his own letters and refuses to show results of previous work, you should stay away from him.

June 7th, 2013
PATIENT BEWARE
Dr. Vagley performed, two unsuccessful breast procedures on me, a lift and augmentation which left droopier breasts with hanging implants, misplaced implants with too large of a pocket, and not high enough on my chest, nipples are elongated, no nipple sensation in either breast, heavy scarring. He performed additional surgery on my flanks which left a puckered scar that is triangular and heavy scarring. This doctor's prices are low because he needs business. His website has outdated prices, he no longer has an office (think he was evicted) and is practicing out of a friend's office. Even though it's easy to get an appointment, there's no waiting, he's prompt and courteous, and spends time with you, HE IS NOT A GOOD DOCTOR. I WOULD NOT GO UNDER THE KNIFE WITH HIM FOR ANY REASON. You'll end up paying another doctor additional costs for repair.

March 6th, 2013
Worst breast augmentation dr ever!
Be very cautious with this dr! His prices are so much lower for a reason. I had breast augmentation surgery 5 years ago. My breast is completely hardened. I also have lost sensation in both breasts from his surgery. I have heard other horror stories about him as well! Do your homework before having him perform your surgery!

November 20th, 2012
bad rep goes way back...
to 1976 when he was an intern at West Penn Hospital. Treated my father, if that's what you want to call it. He ruined my father's last two years of his life, along with my mom's and mine. As far as staff...at that time I actually had a woman on the phone tell me SHE was Dr. Richard Vagley (3 times as I repeated my question pointedly as to whether she was really RICHARD Vagley). My father was never able to get a single doctor in Pittsburgh to look at him after Vagley. His medical records were never released upon doctor's request and at that time medical records were not released to patients...not even Bethesda Cancer Institute could get them. The best lawyers in the city took the case...for about two weeks and then dropped it as soon as they found out who he was interning under. Five years after my father died (of the cancer Vagley didn't even bother to biopsy about before he started cutting it off) my mom and I were contacted by a group of about five people who had been butchered by this creep. They were trying to get a case against him and wanted to know if we would be interested. They couldn't do anything either. Scary? You bet! That this guy could still be "practising" after all this years nauseates me. My mom said at the time that the only justice for this guy would be if someone broke the bones in his hands so badly that he could never touch another soul again. I haven't thought of this in years, until it came up twice today with two different people. So if this comment is the only way I can give Vagley back what he gave my family, then so be it. The circle is closed...until it's your turn Vagley to pay for being the inhuman monster that chose to be. PLEASE DO NOT GO TO THIS GUY.

November 11th, 2011
beware
very strange experience no office no staff

September 13th, 2011
Very good doctor
I have great respect for Dr Vagley's work. He has been my surgon for over 30 years, and never had a problem. He undersands your problem and is ready to assist in obtaining your goal. Thanks Dr Vagley!!

August 6th, 2011
VERY SKETCHY CHARACTER!
It seemed sketchy to me when I heard from other plastic surgeons in advance that he should hang up that scapel. Consult with anyone else. Bad rep.