Neurological Surgeon, Surgical Specialist
Video profile

Some ratings provided by Practice Fusion. DrScore. CitySearch.
Apr 7th, 2015

Dr Kim is a great Dr and Surgeon! So glad I went with him.

MD show details MD
Jan 29th, 2015

He and his office staff were great. He takes almost all insurances. He has great training and great experience. I am a doctor so I know more than most how good a doctor he is. He is very kind and honorable as well as a gifted surgeon.

Thank you so much Dr Kim!! show details Thank you so much Dr Kim!!
by Bradley D. McCormick on May 16th, 2014

Dr. Kim is a 10 out of 10!!!!! I was having bad back pain and it was getting worse day by day. I had my L4 & L5 fusion by Dr Kim and feel 100% better. I have my life back and I can not thank the team Dr Kim used to help me from day 1 until now enough!!! Thank you all so much! I now have "NO" pain and am back to doing everything I used to do. I am still very careful since its only been 6 months post op but back to working out running and holding my 6 year old son. Thank you Dr Kim!!!!!!

Don G show details Don G
Apr 11th, 2014

I waited for him for 40 minutes and he spoke to me for only 5 minutes. Didn't even show me my MRI. He is very vague in answering questions, will not explain in detail "why" I need surgery, very emotionless and arrogant. Trust me, you can find a much better doctor elsewhere.

Mar 19th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

Dr. Kim provided a lot of information about my condition and my treatment and options.He also addressed all my concerns and answered all of all my questions.

Mar 13th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

It was amazing, I walked in and went straight into the room to wait for the doctor. I must have waited less than 5 minutes and he was there!

Feb 27th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

I really appreciate the responses from Dr. Kim. He really listens to my concerns and then he will address my problem directly

Feb 25th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

I highly recommend Dr. Kim. He is an excellent surgeon and very personable. He has helped me so much and I'm very grateful.

Feb 22nd, 2014 on patientfusion.com

I had to wait more than 60 Minutes. This simply puts the patient under un-necessary stress. The Doctor just went through the Lab Reports but did not try to examine me. To say the least he didn't even touch me and I drove for 55 Miles to see him.

Feb 20th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

Dr. Kim is highly educated and compassionate in his field and his experience shows with his ability to connect with the patient. He gave me a good understanding of my medical condition, offered objective treatment options that were in my best interest.

Feb 11th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

I was very impressed with Dr Kim and the time he spent with me

Feb 7th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

Dr. Kim showed us my MRI and provided us with critical information we needed to know about my condition which enabled us to make a good choice for surgery and make us feel at ease with our choice. Information was accurate - results better than expected.

Feb 4th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

Very talented doctor

Jan 28th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

The staff was very nice and Dr. Kim was very easy to talk to. My consultation with him was informative and he even encouraged me to call with any questions I might have afterward.Only downside was that I waited 30-40 minutes to actually be seen by Dr. Kim

Jan 14th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

I am always comforted by Dr. Kim, not only his calming and soothing nature, but the respect he gives me as a patient. I feel bad that I dumped another doctor's handiwork into his capable hands, but he figured out the problems and fixed them. Thank you.

Jan 14th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

Dr. Kim is the nicest man, very kind and listened. Thank you!

Jan 9th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

The MRI findings were very well explained to me. I was provided with all treatment options. He allowed me to express my own opinion without interruption. I am very happy I chose Dr. Kim.

Jan 9th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

I was led immediately into a room to wait for Dr. Kim and he arrived about 7 minutes later. All questions were answered and I was very satisfied with my visit.

Jan 4th, 2014 on patientfusion.com

Dr. Kim provided a more conservative, less invasive diagnosis and surgery than another doctor's original treatment plan. The results have been very good, and I highly recommend him.

Read Full Review at patientfusion.com
Couldn't ask for a better experience! show details Couldn't ask for a better experience!
by Summer on May 11th, 2013

First, let me say that I am SHOCKED that there are any bad reviews about Dr. Kim and his staff?! I have had nothing but a PERFECT experience all around. I consulted with Dr. Kim about severe degenerative disc disease (L4-L5 & L5-S1). He recommended a minimally-invasive two-level spinal fusion. He described everything in detail and answered ALL of my questions. Never tried to rush me out. I was totally sold. Then I had a slight problem with my insurance company. Jane (surgery scheduler) and Elia (Nurse Practitioner?) worked every day to get the surgery approved. Kept me in the loop the whole time. And it was approved! I had a my two-level lumbar fusion 2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier! My stay at Hoag was short but fabulous. I could've gone home the day after my surgery but decided to stay one more night...so I went home 2 days after my surgery. I was continuously checked on by Dr. Kim, Elia and Dr. Kim's partner. I had my first follow-up appointment yesterday and saw both Elia and Dr. Kim. All of my questions were answered and I will continue to see them for a few more months. My recovery is going great...I was able to walk a few laps around the hospital the day after my surgery. I can walk up to a mile now (but still get really tired). I am very optimistic about my surgery and recovery...and I think I'm well on my way to getting my life back! Thank you Dr. Kim and staff! I really couldn't have asked for a better experience!

Great Dr and Great Staff show details Great Dr and Great Staff
Sep 13th, 2012

This entire practice is exceptional, from Dr Kim to his nurse practitioner as well as the entire office staff!!!

His NP is Really the Real Nurse Ratchett show details His NP is Really the Real Nurse Ratchett
Aug 25th, 2012

I was diagnosed with a spinal epenymoma. Dr. Kim informed me that there was a 3-5% chance of some hamstring weakness, and this was all he told me pre-surgery. I had the surgery done at Hiag and stayed in the hospital 4 days. He saw me once right after surgery and told me by the way he had to sacrifice a nerve. He told me I had lost sensation in my left nerve and calf but, Don't worry. You may even get some of it back." I was terrified. He never warned me I would need to self catheterize, need to use a walker, and lose all of my sexual feeling following surgery. Three months post-op, luckily I am walking again--but not much else has improved. Dr. Kim was not present on my discharge date and had no idea his staff discharged me to a nursing home where I ran the risk of incurring a staff infection. He leaves all his follow up care to his NP who is conceited, totally devoid of compassion and just plain mean. I was in terrible pain today and called for a scrip refill. Dr. Kim's staff told me his office is closed Friday, so they would page his NP. When she called me to ask what was wrong, she yelled at me for having her paged on her day off. I tried to explain that her staff told me they had to page her. It's not my fault they don't know to call the on call Dr. Dr. Kim is a great surgeon, and he is very sweet. However, I was appalled by my lack of post-op care and his NP.

May 5th, 2012

I am very satisfied with my childs care.

Go to another if you want an actual Dr. show details Go to another if you want an actual Dr.
Apr 6th, 2012

I went to HOAG hospital for VP shunt failure. I was told that I would be seen by Dr. Kim. 6 hours later his NP came by to adjust my shunt. I never even saw Dr. Kim. How can a Dr. diagnose a case via telephone? His treatment (completed by his NP) was to adjust the pressure on my shunt and come back in a month. They never took the time to check the actual pressure or check to see if the shunt was flowing. These are the most basic tests that any resident should have performed.

Neck Vertebrae Surgery show details Neck Vertebrae Surgery
Jan 16th, 2012

Not sure if I saw the same PA as some bad reviewers, but I found her pleasant, thorough, and helpful.I choose a surgeon based upon skill and outcomes, not on personality, and Dr. Kim is not a warm-friendly-touchy-feely kind of guy but he took the time to answer all of my questions in detail and go over my MRI in detail. The surgery went perfectly, recovery was fast and without complications, and my problem was resolved. That is what I came for, not for a massage or mental therapy. I checked with two of my surgeon friends, and they said this is the guy you want operating on you, bedside manner or not. His skills at minimally invasive surgery allowed me to have an outpatient procedure rather than a hospital stay, and I was up and about the next day.I will say that the office wait was longer than I prefer, but this seems to be the norm anymore and is very frustrating. I don't think most doctors look at their practices from a customer service standpoint. On the plus side, the offices are modern, immaculate and located at the hospital which is very convenient.I have another issue, and am definitely going to use Kim again.

Nurse Ratchet is perfect description show details Nurse Ratchet is perfect description
Nov 1st, 2011

The doctor does not spend any time with you and his Nurse Practitioner thinks she's the Doctor and will not give you the time of day. She is rude and uncaring and I don't care how busy anyone is...if you are seeing a neurosurgeon, then something serious is going on and the patient deserves the time and the care it takes to acknowledge the problem and spend time to discuss the issues....not a nurse (who thinks she is the doctor and capable of examining the patient) diagnosing you or a doctor that gives you 2 minutes then a handshake and you are out the door!

out of pain and back to life show details out of pain and back to life
Nov 1st, 2011

I have read a couple of the comments most recently made and am just taken back by the nastiness of one of them.To nickname a professional in Dr. Kim's office Nurse Ratchet is really just unkind. She is to the point, and curt..but she in no way is anything like the comparison being made. Those treated with respect get respect. And because someone does not like a personality trait does not mean anyone should take them seriously. The person being spoken of here is kind, and understanding. She performs surgeries and interviews all the patients. A busy gal indeed. As for Dr. Kim, he to can be curt...but it in no way reflects his skill as a surgeon or what he can do to help people. He saw in an MRI what only one other Dr saw...otherwise I was told I had carpel tunnel. I had a 3mm disc protrusion that was impeding on the spinal cord. Others told me I had muscle strain and the carpel tunnel explained the numbness I was having. 2 weeks after being seen by Dr. Kim he performed the surgery, came out and talked to my family with kindness, and healed my pain and fear. His bedside manner, was wonderful! He came to see me daily as well as his P.A. Told me what to expect...what else are they suppose to do? This person who wrote the note on his bedside manner did not have a hospital stay so should not judge.I rate them wonderful and satisfactory....I am back on my motorcycle and flying in the skies thanks to these people!! Office staff included!

Oct 16th, 2011

In much more pain such his surgery, does not care, does not communicate

Sep 27th, 2011

After he told me that I have a tumor in my head, he got up from his desk and opened the door. I was still shocked, but he stood there and I said: do you want me to leave?He said: Yes, good-bye.I walked out and cried. He has just no compassion for a patient, and yes, I have to be operated by him. I feel terrible.

Jun 13th, 2011

I was very happy with Dr. Kim. He performed a corrected surgery on my cervical vertebras and it went perfectly. I recommend him highly to anyone seeking neck or back surgery.

Apr 11th, 2011

Wow...I must have caught Dr Kim on a REALLY BAD DAY, or his relatives wrote all these glowing reviews!! He has a great front desk staff, but his Assistant is harsh & rude..a real nurse Ratchet. Dr. Kim was even worse..my husband and I were in his office perhaps four minutes when he stood up and held his hand out for a good-bye handshake. When I asked him about the malformation at the C1, C2 that had concerned two other doctors he shrugged and said he didn't see anything to cause the terrible pain I was having. He never made a diagnosis nor did he have any explanation for why he could not make one. When I asked about the C1,C2 area that two other doctors had mentioned, he shrugged and said he saw nothing that could be causing my severe pain. Then he laughed and said something about maybe it was being in NC. He sent me off to add a series of x-rays to my MRI and catscan. When I asked stone face Ratchet if they would call with the results of the X-rays she acted as though I had lost my mind to think anyone would take the time to do that. I finally asked, should I assume that no news is good news. Her answer was YES!! I later spoke to my primary physician about what Dr.Kim's report to him said and his answer was NOTHING!! I had come back to Orange County from Asheville, NC. for this appointment. I had been told there could be a problem with my cervical spine and to consult a Neurosurgeon. Ratchet had asked me in her harsh accusatory manner if I was nervous?? What a crazy question...anyone that spends thousands of dollars to cross 3/4 of the country to see a Dr. is most certainly nervous!!!Dr.Kim's bedside manner is non-existent. He never discussed what might be causing my pain and never assured me in any way that there was only a minor problem. He never addressed the fact that I have had horrific morning headaches for years and that they fit the discription of a cervecogenic headache. I am not just nervous after seeing Dr.Kim...I still have pain and I don't feel well & I have no idea why. I am 73 yr. old and I have never, never in contacts with hundreds of doctors over these many years met a horrible one until now...I have moved from nervous to scared...alone and scared is how this four star Dr. has made me feel. I would not recommend him..ever!!!

The most awesome and adorable doctor show details The most awesome and adorable doctor
Mar 10th, 2011

Dr.Kim was so sweet and compationate. He made it so much easier to have my surgery knowing he would be taking care of me. I really appreciate all he has done to better my life. Thank you Dr. Kim.

amazing doctor show details amazing doctor
Sep 24th, 2010

Over all he is a great doctor.

Great Urologist show details Great Urologist
by HoustonMom08 at Citysearch on Oct 27th, 2008 on citysearch.com

Very friendly, good bedside manner. Saw on "Great Day Houston" talking about urinary incontinence. Spends extra time with new patients. Very thorough explanations with diagrams.

Read Full Review at citysearch.com
Surgery for Epilepsy show details Surgery for Epilepsy
by Joe Felder on Sep 12th, 2008

Dr. Kim was my Neurosurgeon at Hoag Hospital. I had been having seizure due to a head injury on Dec. 11, 1999, I went thru a range of medicines, yet still had seizures. I had brain surgury Jan. 9, 2004, been seizure free since the surgery. I now have an excellent quality of life