Overall Review

3.8

September 20th, 2013
Excellent Family Doctor
Dr. Chou is one of the finest PCP's I have ever had and I will be his patient as long as he is practicing. I have recommended dozens of friends and family to him and every single person has been thrilled with his warm, compassionate, thorough and reliable care. He is the consummate PCP and has been integral to helping me manage my health issues over the years. He takes my calls when he is on vacation, responds quickly to emergencies, has come to the emergency room when I have had the unfortunate experience of having to go and has given me care that is unparalleled. I cannot say enough about his character as both a doctor and a man. He is a one-of-a-kind. I'm shocked by the negative reviews yet I am not. I have been a patient of Dr. Chou's for over 10+ years and see the variety of difficult patients that he handles on a daily basis. I see and hear him dealing with difficult and angry patients who expect him to be a miracle worker. I am often appalled by the behavior of some of his patients and credit him with his patience in dealing with so many challenging people in a calm and professional manner. Some patients expect a PCP to be all things to all people and that is simply NOT what a PCP is for. If you are diagnosed with a disease or something requiring a specialist you need to go to a specialist, period. Diabetics are not meant to be managed by their PCP when receiving such a diagnosis. Patients need to take personal responsibility for their own health and not blame doctors for their poor lifestyle choices and being remiss in finding a specialist when diagnosed with a serious disease or illness. I find it irresponsible and slanderous to someone whom has always provided me with outstanding care to see patients who expect Dr. Chou to manage diseases that require lifestyle changes, seeking out a specialist and making choices regarding one's own health. That being said, I have NEVER had Dr. Chou NOT recommend specialists to me when I have needed one.

April 17th, 2013
Great as long as you're not sick
He is a great Doctor up until you get a serious illness. He was great with me until I was diagnosed with Diabetes. He gave me a glucose meter and showed me how to use the machine, told me to see a nutritionist and walked away because he was busy. I was devastated and in shock from being given what I saw a s death sentence since my father died of complication brought by Diabetes. I got no lifestyle info, no expectation as to what to expect, no explanation as to what long term goals were. I didn't even know what normal blood level was or what type of diabetes I had. I had three appointments afterwards and each time I came and asked him questions about things I had read/heard from the internet or others with the illness. he shrugged most of it off and treated me as if I was pestering him. At our last appointment when I tried to verbalize how I was feeling I must have injured his pride because he threw open the exam room door and yelled loud enough for everyone in the waiting room could hear that I should find another Doctor. I had to skulk across the waiting area while people stared at me. This is just another example of what not to expect from another Doctor but what to expect from him. I Have already filed a complaint with NYS Department of Health, Office of Professional Medical Conduct. Which could have been spared if he even bothered to call to apologize.

August 18th, 2009
seemed like he could have been a very cool doctor but..
After waiting an hour, this doctor began the visit by letting me know he was in a bad mood. Then he told me he wasn't able to do what I'd come in for which I think should have been cleared up when I made the appointment. What he said he couldn't do included reading an x-ray. Then we had a long conversation about what I'd come in for and he was surprised to learn that I have scoliosis--something I myself could have known from a quick look at the x-rays. That's why I was trying to show him the x-rays but he only tossed them aside.What Dr. Chou was able to do was order some blood work. This was several months ago and neither my chiropractor or I have been able to get in touch with him.

August 14th, 2009
Gentle and caring
My family see this doctor often. He is very professional and spends enough time to listen to you. He takes his time to explain things as much as he could and very compassionate. His medical staff are wonderful as well. I highly recommend this doctor.

February 22nd, 2009
use DR. Chou if you need someone who listens and observes.
A gentle, caring physician