Dr. Robert Herman Is this you?

2.3

Neutral

Have you seen Dr. Robert Herman?

not very effective

Posted on April 24th, 2017

I knew more about him than he did about me. That's not a good sign.

Terrible

Posted on October 3rd, 2016

Does not listen and is rude. Very rude and belittling

Posted on March 13th, 2016

doesn't listen. doesn't care

Posted on December 1st, 2015

Dr. Herman has been a life saver for me. His expertise and knowledge knew the right diagnosis and medications to prescribe to allow me to live my life to the fullest. I can never thank him enough.

Dissapointement after 7-8 years

Posted on March 29th, 2015

I began seeing Dr. Herman at the University of MD, College Park for bipolar 11 disorder. I was finally happy to have a diagnosis (given by a Neropsychiatrist), after many, many years of pain. I can appreciate that Dr. Herman began me on Lithium, a very cheap drug in an age when so many doctors try to push the expensive one's down your throat. When I graduated I began seeing him at Spectrum. We became very friendly and I must admit, I saw him outside of the office. Not directly, but by supporting his extracurricular activities, as well as he supported mine. FIRST RED FLAG I did not notice. Progress some years and I am now on 8 different meds. My family hated this doctor; they thought he was doing nothing good for me. They pleaded for me to leave him. I was in worse shape than when I began seeing him. I stayed with him. Side note: He does ask you your meds each time. Do you not think he doesn't have them right in front of him on his computer screen? He is trying to see what you say you are taking and ensure it is what he prescribed. Not a stupid idea when in the realm of psychology, so many people stop taking their meds without medical supervision. Now let me tell you the worst part of this and how I got our from under Dr. Herman's grip...........I attempted suicide in May 2009 by swallowing 750-800 psychotropic prescription pills. My pills from Dr. Herman. By the grace of a higher power I lived, albeit in a coma for 2 weeks. My family called Dr. Herman just to let him know. His response, "I have not prescribed anything that would do this to her. What I am supposed to do?" His tone, as my mother reports, was that of smugness. Like he didn't give a crap. I am currently a nursing student and understand needing to keep some distance from patients. I am interested in becoming a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. If this happens to me, with a patient that has a similar history Dr. Herman and I had, I would handle it very differently. Anyway, I was curious the other day if he was still at Spectrum so I called. He is still there. Just as when I was going, he takes very little insurance. Oh, let me add......I paid out of pocket and there some months where he had me in there 2-3 times per WEEK!!!!!!! It wasn't necessary. He still accepts very little insurance plans and his out of pocket fees for initial visit and complementary visits is ENORMOUS. To anyone considering this man----------> STAY AWAY.

Horrid excuse for a doctor. Certainly a Quack.

Posted on April 10th, 2014

I disliked the long wait time. He didn't seem to care about my situation at all. Extremely unprofessional in appearance, his demeanor, and pretty much everything about my experience. The most professional part about my visit was the waiting room, and I know because I've spent much too much time there!! Like an hour wait every time I've gone. He is always eating, and he wasn't wearing his shoes… He seemed to anger easily when I shied away from his opinion and offered my own, based on facts. He continually used google to look things up, and often took personal calls during my visit. He is very condescending and rude in the way he talks to you. His eye contact, or lack thereof makes me uncomfortable as he continually closed his eyes while he was talking to me. He was very unorganized and often changed the topic away from my areas of concerned. He had an attitude that he seemed to think he was my superior, and that isn't the way a medical professional should make you feel. His office had an unpleasant odor, probably todays lunch and continuous snack. I told him he wasn't being helpful and he got angry with me and told me we were out of time. He is treating me for bipolar disorder, and anxiety and currently just the thought of going back makes me anxious, as i feel like i need a continuous guard up against him. He wasted office time telling joke when he wasn't preaching to you and insisting he was right. As a psychology student, I don't think he is the kind of person who should be in this field as he seems to lack all care and compassion someone should have to be able to adequately help people with psychological disorders. I did not come to the doctor to be disrespected, and treated like an idiot. I came to the doctor to work with them to figure out how to help me, with two sides to every discussion and decision, where as with Dr. Herman, I feel as if he is talking AT me, Not WITH me.

Consider Other Options

Posted on September 23rd, 2013

Dr. Herman is rude, rude, rude!!! Totally unprofessional in both his appearance and his demeanor. Always runs behind on his appointments and then is condescending and obnoxious when he is dealing with you. Will not go the extra mile for his patients. Anything that is outside of his agenda is an inconvenience. Definitely NOT a people person!!!! Not really sure how this man can be in the business of helping people when apparently he could use some help himself.

Dr. Herman has definitely helped me...

Posted on August 7th, 2013

The panic attacks have ended and that was major. Getting that under control gave me confidence to address other issues. I appreciate the time Dr. Herman has spent asking questions, gathering information. He has been thorough and for me it has worked out really well. I was struggling and now I look forward with hope. I also appreciate the information he has provided, written materials, links to web sites with info that's given me an understanding of what's happening and what to expect. I have confidence in him.

By far the worst medical doctor I've ever encountered

Posted on May 23rd, 2013

I saw this "doctor" twice; kept waiting over an hour each visit, completely unprofessional demeanor and appearance, unknowledgeable, patronizing and overall sense of rudeness about him. It's absurd to me this man is a practicing psychiatrist, let alone his 25 years of "experience" in this field.

Posted on February 13th, 2012

I loved my experience with Dr. Herman. I appreciated how he took a lot of time to explain how the medications he recommended worked, and even printed out technical papers and sent me links to websites with lectures on the topic. At first I was nervous about going on some non-standard meds (after we tried lots of other options), but all I know is that I feel loads better now. He very communicative outside of appointments, as he followed up very quickly on my blood work, and quickly responded to my emailed concerns about side effects.

Didn't Care At All

Posted on June 8th, 2008

It felt like Dr. Herman was never listening. He never made eye contact. At every appointment he asked what meds I was on. Shouldn't he know that? And he would change my meds when I was doing well. He put me on one that I resisted. I didn't like the sound of it. He insisted, and I ended up in the hospital. I got the feeling he was getting some sort of perk from the pharmacutical company to fill scripts or something.

Posted on October 11th, 2017