Dr. Robert Cywes MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

April 21st, 2016
Finaly, Help for the Diabetic Obese!
Straightforward and knowledgeable, Dr. Cywes confirmed what I believe about weight and diabetes type 2. I am very grateful to him being available to the obesity community and look forward to success with his help.

June 4th, 2015
the best thing I ever did

January 18th, 2015
Trust and Security for a change of lifestyle
My surgery was in Dec of 2010, I took off over 100 lbs and managed to have keep it off due to proper instruction by Dr Cywes. He was straight and to the point, some would consider him alittle too straight forward, but that is what was needed to make sure that I knew the surgery was a tool for a condition that only I could take control of. I appreciate his candor. I felt secure in my choice both of the surgery and the physician. Staff tried to work around my schedule for appointments.

November 13th, 2014
Wonderful Surgeon!
Dr Cywes is a caring and knowledgeable surgeon. We have been seeing him for our 8 year old son who was diagnosed with Crohns Disease. Our son had to have several surgeries with Dr Cywes for a complicated rectal abscess and eventually a colostomy to help him heal. When you go to his office for follow ups he spends time talking with you and we really feel that he cares for our sons over all health not just the problem at hand. He has shared much information with us on many topics and is very knowledgeable about nutrition which is refreshing to me as it seems to me many doctors do not see the relationship between diet & chronic illness. We are so thankful to have someone like Dr Cywes to care for our son and we appreciate his talent as a surgeon. His office staff is friendly and helpful, they always know who we are when we call and have been able to get us in when its been urgent.

May 12th, 2014
This doctor is horrible! Avoid!
This is a lying egomaniac doctor. He is horrible. Read the reviews. Ask him why he doesn't have privileges at Wolfson's or at Nemours anymore. If you have an underage child, DO NOT seek this doctor.

March 21st, 2014
Recommended if you appreciate being talked to like you mean NOTHING!
I don't normally review, but I feel it's necessary. Please avoid this doctor at all costs. Save your time, money, and sanity. Here's my story: I had my surgery in 2009, and during the seminar, he turned and looked at my group and said "look at you, you can't even cross your legs." I was immediately insulted. Didn't think this was funny, especially because I could cross my legs. That's neither here nor there. I've heard the lecture about his love for beer 300 times. Not only is it annoying, but it's a waste of time. He decides to use generalized lectures - I'm grown and don't need lectures especially when you have no clue what my issues are. I've already told him off several times for talking to me as if I'm some pion below him. And sir, you were once 300 lbs, would you have liked us to speak to you that way? Today I came in for a fill. They have mysteriously lost my records. I find this interesting as HE did my surgery and I have the mark of a blown vein before surgery to prove it (he was inpatient with the nurse and decided to do it instead with his force). I waited 2 hours to even get to the back. Why? Because he was giving every patient 30 minute lectures about food addiction, alcohol addiction, Lindsay Lohan and her DUIs and their correlation. He came in my room not asking me what I'm struggling with, not concerned about whether my band was too tight or not - he wound up this long stupid story. I interjected several times. He would then say "don't get defensive." He loves to hear himself talk but doesn't want your input. Watch how you handle me, Dr. I didn't come there to be lectured. If you would have asked me prior to your stupid lecture, you would have figured out my band was too tight. Instead of accusing me of eating every 5 minutes, you would have known I had difficulty eating period had you asked me. Instead, we had a great discussion - he had no respect for me and I refused to be talked to in that condescending manner. When we went to the scope, he noticed it was too right and then took back every generalization he threw at me. Gee, thanks. I'm not the fat patient you thought, huh? Long story short, I'll be going somewhere else. Isn't that what you advised me to do? It's no issue. I'll go where I'm appreciated as a patient, I'll go somewhere I'm not verbally abused. This isn't tough love, you are down right rude and disrespectful.

November 20th, 2013
So appreciative!
We have had two unrelated surgeries for our infant son in his first six months. Dr. Cywes took care of our son both times, the later at our request. The care he had given both my son, as the patient, and me, the nervous parent, has been amazing. He has come in quickly after my son was admitted (the first time we saw him he actually came into the ER at 10pm on his time to explain the surgery to us that was scheduled for the next day). Additionally, he took on our son's case at our case most recently after our pediatrician reached out to him following a less then desirable experience with another pediatric surgeon. I am so appreciative for everything he has done and would recommend him highly to anyone who needed him.

July 5th, 2013
PLEASE, listen to your own mind & body. Dr. Cywes performed my lap-band surgery over 4 yrs ago. About 9 months ago I started advising him I felt "pinching" between my portal and band. He did a few test and then got in my face several times to tell me it was not the band it was because I was not following his "nutrition" information. He was VERY wrong! My band was removed 7/3/13 by a knowledgeable Bariatric doctor who advised me my band had slipped and had twisted around my stomach, & was on the verge of cutting of blood flow my stomach. Dr. Cywes does not listen to his patients. HE only wants to brag about how many lap-band surgeries he has performed. I'm not the only one patient here in Jacksonville that is having problems & have to have our lap-bands removed because of various different problems. Most of us should NEVER have had the band. We should have had the "sleeve". IF YOU LOVE YOURSELF, find a Bariatric doctor that will fit you with the correct device & listen to their patients.

June 8th, 2013
Hats off to Dr.Cywes
I have so much good I could say about him but I'm going to try and make the short. I have a teenage daughter who is about 35 lbs overweight...she is NOT a patient and has NOT paid one cent to Dr,CYWES yet he took over 30 minutes out of hs day to discuss healthy eating habits and the importance of her recognizing the path she is on. To me that speaks VOLUMS about him...not only as a doctor but as a person. I did have to have my port removed a couple weeks ago due to infection (surgery was in Dec 2012) but dr CYWES has been with me encouraging me, discipline me and taking good care of me overall. He gives his personal cell phone and EVERYTIME I've called it text he answers immediately. I know he is moving and I do plan on making the nessecary trips to continue my care with him...I just wish Ms Jodie was going with him. Everyone of his staff has been very respectful and curtious except one (I will not name drop). Hats off to you dr CYWES for all you give of yourself for the love of healthy people everywhere. Oh, I will say the wait time for when you have an appointment could be better but when you realize the care he gives you...the frustration goes away :) Sincerely, Still dropping the pounds :)

July 29th, 2012
Dr Robert Cywss
The Best Surgeon I would ever go to. I would not recommend any other. Bedside manner A+++ Knowleadge A+++ I would trust him first with my life before any other

May 3rd, 2012
Good Dr long wait
He is good at what he does but his wait time is forever

April 27th, 2012
i have seen Dr,cywes and i like him very much and i wish he could do my surgery,i just dont understand