Overall Review

May 7th, 2013
Professional and Prompt Care during Hospitalization
I would choose Dr Dawkins again over others in this practice due to his professional behavior with a very difficult diagnosis bilateral pulmonary embolism. I was very frearful of dying due to the anxiety and pain the emobolisms can cause. I am very greatful to have this physician as my attending at the local community hospital that I am nearby.

April 26th, 2013
Office Procedures ARE Affecting Quality Customer Service (HORIZON in Clayton)
The office practices of Horizon Family are less than stellar. One must often leave a message to request an appointment on a machine. Call back for that can take up to a day. Forget same day appointments for sudden minor illnesses. Also, Dawkins has a good attitude or bedside manner but his staff or nurses DO NOT call back results of blood work to patients. Patients must be diligent to get results. Unfortunate because Dawkins has the potential to be an EXCELLENT, I mean an EXCELLENT physician but his lack of following through leaves me less than thrilled with his care from start to FINISH. It is never okay to possess test results for an entire work day and leave early on Fridays and NOT let patients know the results. Good grief. When patients leave a message for those results on the nurse line common courtesy would simply be for a nurse to call a patient back even if the doctor HAS NOT reviewed the data. I called this morning and then at 4:30 pm. At 4:30 a staff member actually picked up (surprise, surprise) and when I explained that I was looking for my results, the staff person said, "He has had the results since this morning but he leaves early on Fridays. He apparently hasn't reviewed them. Try back on Monday..." Seriously? I think I just convinced myself that our family needs to find another practice. Ridiculous. I wish this was the first incident with office policies for Horizon. I kept making excuses for the practice because I liked Dawkins. But after today, I realize that this was the last time I would defend the office and for Dawkins I simply want to state (if he ever reads things like this): My family trusted your care and we held up our end of the deal-you told us to call back in 3 days for the results. I called twice today. You and I agreed that it was imperative that I have the results TODAY (3 days after the blood work was taken) for accurate care.. Reviewing results should be a priority! Our family has been a part of Horizon (Clayton) for 6 years. We're moving on....