Orthopaedic Surgeon, Surgical Specialist

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
DOCTOR IS AWFUL - SURGERY BUNGLE show details DOCTOR IS AWFUL - SURGERY BUNGLE
by AUSSIEGIRLMI on Feb 18th, 2015

BEWARE OF THIS "DOCTOR" -

Excellent surgeon for knee replacement show details Excellent surgeon for knee replacement
Jul 14th, 2013

My sister recently had her second knee replacement performed by Dr. Ference and couldn't be happier with how quickly she has recovered!! Dr. Ference was the only surgeon who took the time to show us how he performs a joint replacement utilizing models and diagrams and recommended that we attend the joint replacement education class to answer questions about the care my sister would need after surgery. The class was very informative and helped us to understand how much help my sister would need after surgery. It has only been 9 weeks since surgery and my sister has just started back to yoga class and has also resumed golfing. We couldn't be happier with the care we received from Dr. Ference and his office staff!! Keep up the great work!

Not A Good Experience! show details Not A Good Experience!
Jun 15th, 2013

Dr. Ference, was my former treating surgeon, and he tried to fix my knee, including a total knee arthroplasty, which did not go well at all. I had to go out of state to a world known institution and known around the world for top notch orthopedic care,to the have it revised, within a few months, that's how bad it was. My surgeon looked at my XRay, and asked if a medical student or a first year orthopedic surgery resident did it. That's how bad it was. He nurse in his office, is not the most friendliest person. They always force you to sign press ganey surverys, when you leave your appointments, to improve their ratings. I find that kind of ironic. I've not heard any good Joint Plus Excel or Dr. Ference lately at all. He also did not invent the MIS total knee arthoplasty either, like he tells his patients. He did a rotation with a surgeon, name Dr. Peter Bonutti. My advice, is anyone needing a total joint replacement, is to find a surgeon, who is FELLOWSHIP TRAINED in joint reconstruction. That extra 6th year of training means a lot. I would not recommend anyone to Dr. Robert Ference at all.

Just aweful show details Just aweful
by AussieGirl on Apr 25th, 2013

Hip replacement done on 11/26/2012, he decided to revise his original diagnosis from minimally invasive to invasive while I was given the relaxing drug in pre-op, what kind of "doctor" does this? Additionally, never ever discussed complications, I am 5'6" weigh 135 and now I have drop foot? Fired him and am at Beaumont in Royal Oak, what a difference, hospital top notch, Ference DMC aweful they do not care at all! Well I have come a long way with the PT at Beaumont and ton of praying but I will beat this and well Ference, you have a higher power (God) to answer to.

Wow... show details Wow...
Sep 13th, 2012

He is an AWSOME dr. i had 3 acl replacements done in a 4 year spand. done by 3 different doctors...my 4 was done by dr. ference. i had my surgery done in 2003 in which he did FOR FREE! because i didn't have health insurance! he also covered the cost of my hospital stay! i live by bay reginal medical center and i can tell you for a fact that his leaving here had nothing to do with issues concerning the hospital. We didn't not want to lose this wonderful doctor. our patients are still assitant on referrels to his office even though it is a 3 hour drive one way. So i would say he is still the best ortho doctor around!

Excellent Orthopedic Surgeon show details Excellent Orthopedic Surgeon
Aug 6th, 2012

I saw Dr. Ference for my knees. I have suffered with knee problems since the 9th grade. I am active and physically fit individual who is too young for total knee replacement. Dr. Ference has worked with me to find minimally invasive procedures that are providing comfort and relief without premature replacement. I highly recommend him and his office.

Very satisfied patient show details Very satisfied patient
Jun 2nd, 2012

It is unfortunate that the patient's comments below indicate they didn't have a good experience. Before I had my knee replaced in 2011 I researched the procedure and the recovery needed after and also talked to several former patients of all ages. They all stressed the importance of completing all physical therapy sessions. Many times those patients who don't have good outcomes are those that didn't follow through with therapy or regular office visits. My sister works in the recovery room at Sinai-Grace and states that the PA's and OR staff all want to work with Dr. Ference but it is hospital administration that prefers them to rotate to other OR rooms and offices due to being short staffed. My mother also had her hip replaced in August 2011 by Dr. Ference with the new technique he uses and was playing tennis 3 weeks later! Dr. Ference's exceptional skills and caring office staff definitely added to our positive experience!

Get A Second Opinion! show details Get A Second Opinion!
Feb 26th, 2012

I agree with the patient below regarding right knee arthroplasty. He botched mine too, which I had to get fixed by world known surgeon out of state. I have not heard of any good outcomes from any surgeries by Dr. Ference in the last few years. I know Sinai-Grace is aware of his subpar results from his knee and hip surgeries. His office staff is very unorganized, just like his unit at Sinai-Grace Hospital. He has a very high turn over rate of PA's and OR staff, because he is very difficult to work with. I heard he had alot of problems at his previous hospital Bay Regional Medical Center, and that's why he's no longer on staff there. He's a nice guy though, but just not a very good surgeon at all. He also did not invent the MIS knee arthroplasty that he tells his patients he did, he didn't even do a fellowship either in joint reconstruction. Stay clear of this physician.

TOP SURGEON! show details TOP SURGEON!
Aug 23rd, 2011

Dr Ference is a great surgeon and a great person too and is well known throughout the country for knee and hip surgery. He just recently operated on my knee that 4 other surgeons couldn't fix. His technigue on joint replacement surgey is minimally invasive and his closures, he doesn't even use stitches or staples. They use a surgery glue. Cosmetically it looks great, most surgeons around do a 8-12 inch incision, Dr. ference incision are anywhere from 3-4 inches like mine. His practice at Joint Plus Excel is first class and so is the staff at DMC-Sinai Grace Hospital. I want to Thank Dr. Ference and his fine staff at Joint Plus Excel for restoring my quality of life.

re-knee replacement show details re-knee replacement
Jul 4th, 2011

DR. FERENCE IS A WONDERFUL GUY & TAKES A LOT OF TIME WITH HIS PATIENTS ! -UNFORTUNATELY MY KNEE REPLACEMENT RESULT TURNED OUT VERY POORLY !!--I WENT TO THE CLEVELAND CLINIC FOR ANOTHER OPINION & THE DOCTORS THERE -AFTER LOOKING AT THE X-RAYS & EXAMINING MY KNEE -FELT THE SURGERY WAS AN AVERAGE JOB AT BEST !!!!!--I WILL ULTIMATELY NEED A KNEE REVISION .-BASED ON MY RESULTS I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DR. FERENCE TO ANYONE FOR KNEE REPLACEMENT -HE ALSO DID NOT INVENT THE TECHNIQUE --AS HE CLAIMS ----

First Class Surgeon! show details First Class Surgeon!
Jun 23rd, 2011

Great Surgeon and is well known through out the country for the minimally invasive joint replacement surgery at DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital. Great staff and are very professional too.