Dr. Robert Guss Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Robert Guss?

May 28th, 2015

Quack is Right!

I read an earlier review describing Guss as a quack. I thought it was harsh until I left his office. I recently moved to the area. I was scheduled very quickly on an emergency basis which I greatly appreciated. I've had an ongoing problem with my right eye for over 30 years. I know exactly the feeling and signs when a dormant herpes virus in nerve of my eye are flaring up. It is always painful, scary, my eye becomes completely red and the surrounding tissues inflamed. Left untreated, my understanding is you can go blind. The staff and assisting nurse were nice and seemed efficient. I thought I was going to get great treatment. But then I overhead Guss outside the exam room asking when he could leave and how many patients he still had to see. That should have been my clue. He viewed my eye briefly with a microscope and told me I had Pink Eye. He then announced to staff to be sure to disinfect everything completely after I got out of there. I was astounded. I had described my long history and awareness of what I knew to be going on. He wasn't interested. In fact, he seemed annoyed to be questioned. The only way to determine for certain whether the herpes virus is active is to put stain in the eye. He didn't do that. When I asked why, he said it wasn't necessary. He wrote me a prescription for a bacterial infection (USELESS!!!!). I asked about the drops that I've always been prescribed. He refused to write the script. He was argumentative about it. He finally conceded and wrote a prescription for pills - a low maintenance dose for people prone to herpes outbreaks. Again pretty much USELESS to control a full blown outbreak! I called the next day after my symptoms worsened. I described what was going on to the nurse. She said the "doctor" was out of the office but she'd would try and text him. She called me back later and informed me that Guss said what he had prescribed was adequate. Today I went to another ophthalmologist - Dr. Hal Le of Desert Eye and Laser. omg, what a difference. Completely professional, tested everything from A-Z, and immediately prescribed what I should have been all along. I asked if I had overreacted. He looked at me and said NO! I know that's the truth as well. If you or any of your loved ones need an ophthalmologist, do NOT go see Dr. Guss. Maybe you'll get lucky and hit him on a good day? I sure didn't. It sounds like many others haven't either. This is the very first time that I have ever posted a negative review like this - about a doctor, hotel, or anything.

March 29th, 2015

concerned son

I thought Doctors were suppose to care for their patients not degrade, humiliate and be condescending?? I guess Guss (doctor is too respectful to be used for him) is in a category of his own. If you do find yourself going for treatment by him just a few thing to be aware of. 1. put on your amour, you need pretty thick skin for this one. 2. cover your chest ladies 3. bring extra money for your protective eye goggles(if Guss will even allow them after surgery) Also, after looking around at some other reviews I'm certainly not alone in my feelings.

February 7th, 2014

Fabulous results

Well, one year after medicare covered cataract surgery on both eyes, i better than I have even seen. I have astigamtism but ow need no glasses, not even for reading. Thank you Dr. Guss.

October 16th, 2012

This is the "Great" Dr..Guss? No Thank You!

My mother has moderate dementia and a massive cataract. I have heard a lot about how wonderful this doctor is, but after letting him talk to me, I wouldn't let him operate on my mom OR me.He asked my mom what she wanted, and she said "Well I'd like to have my cataract removed." He called her 'toots', which didn't sit well with me. I sat behind her and let her talk for herself. She also has COPD, which is an issue. After a brief (and I do mean BRIEF) exam, he pulled his chair way up close to me (less than three feet, invading my personal space) and said he would leave it alone. He then said that he had another daughter who brought her mom in, and when he asked 'what do you want', the daughter answered for her mother, saying "she wants to have surgery." Then on the day of surgery the daughter dropped off the mom, and the mom didn't even know why she was there.Well, that is not me, and it is not MY relationship with my mom. He also said he wouldn't do it to his mom, who had dementia. I don't care what these other people have done, nor do I care about this doctor. He was extremely arrogant, and arrogant breeds mistakes. He also said this: "Having her cataract removed won't make her THINK any better." What? I am there to help her VISION improve, nothing else!Then I said, "Well now it's on to getting her a hearing aid," and he said, "Just as long as they don't drill a hole into her head." What kind of jerk IS this? Screw him, I'm not going back. Oh yeah, he wants to see her in six months. She'll be worse then with the COPD, so that just blew his argument for not wanting to operate. There ARE other doctors in this town!!!

November 9th, 2016