Dr. Robert Benz MD Patient Reviews

• Orthopedic Surgery of the Spine Fort Collins, CO

• Good
  • Bad

March 15th, 2017
Skilled, efficient and went out of his way to help
Dr. Benz was very helpful and went out of his way to get me the treatment that I needed. When I failed to complete an MRI due to the pain I experienced, he developed a plan to help mitigate that pain so that I was able to get through the test. He got his staff to arrange for another MRI attempt, got it set up for me an injection immediately before the test and then an appointment scheduled to see him again immediately afterwards. When reviewing the test results, Dr. Benz clearly explained the possible treatment options to me. He also explained what his recommendation was and the reasons for it. I had a herniated cervical disc and we decided upon surgery. Dr. Benz and his staff arranged for me to have surgery the very next day! I'm sure that the easy approach would have been to just schedule the surgery where ever it fit, which very likely would have been a week or two later. I would have been OK with that and had no expectation of anything different. But Dr. Benz pushed to fit me in as soon as possible. I am very grateful that he made this extra effort to prevent me from having to suffer any longer than necessary. The surgery itself was very successful and my pain was immediately and completely eliminated. I feel better than I have for a very long time. I appreciate very much not only Dr. Benz's skill in curing my issue, but also his efforts to make it occur as quickly as possible to limit the amount of time I had to continue suffering from the pain.

October 14th, 2016
Good at what he does, poor manners
Dr Benz did my neck fusion. He seems to be very good at what he does. Unfortunately in turn he is arrogant and talks down patients if they don't know the meaning of some technical terms he uses. There were some problems with surgery, but those were not his fault. It all falls on a nurse in the ER. One issue probably could have been avaoided if an extra X-ray was done, so maybe the complications could have been avaoided and do fall on him. No matter, what is done is done. His staff is amazing and have been super kind and helpful. They have put up with my constant calls and have been patient in answering questions. Overall I would recommend Dr Benz. I think my situation is very odd so I very seriously doubt others will have the issues.

December 18th, 2015
Highly recommended
Do you live in southeast Wyoming? I highly recommend driving to Fort Collins to see Dr. Benz for back surgery.

November 10th, 2015
Mil patient
I have been in pain for several years, I had MRI done and he didn't agree to anything on the report. Then he was done, not even 15 minutes I was blown off. I finally found out I was not crazy and indeed my first report was correct. Please be careful!

August 31st, 2015
Best back surgeon in the west.

May 26th, 2015
An excellent surgeon!!! I'm symptom free after 20 years of living in pain! Thank you Dr. Benz. Also, Dr. Benz staff were extremely courteous and helpful.

January 15th, 2015
A Huge Waste
Having undergone multiple CATscans, MRI's and X-rays following an injury,, I was relieved when my Primary Care decided to refer me to Ortho. I was looking forward to working with my new specialist, Dr. Benz but alas my expectations quickly turned into very disappointing results. Dr. Benz walked into the examining room and promptly dismissed all my symptoms stating that "he couldn't see the issue and didn't understand why my doctor referred me to him". I pointed out my radiology reports which he referred to as the "enthusiasm for over-calling that radiologists often do". I would have been satisfied if he had consented to at least a short physical exam before deciding that I couldn't possibly be experiencing what was described on my images. I was mortified that we didnt even have a chance to first review my test results together. Just to be assurred, a thorough physical exam would have been appropriate in that situation, even if his professional opinion differed from that of my other doctors. Now I have a referral for yet another specialist, no more answers than what I started with, and a nagging sense that I get to pay his specialist fees all for nothing. I believe wholeheartedly that Dr. Benz is a very competent, if not exceptional provider, however my experience with him made me feel like I was only wasting his time. I'm a patient, not an MD: what I ask for is that medical professionals keep in mind that when a patient gets a referral to go see a specialist, the patient must put their faith into the system that we are getting the proper sort of care we seek.

August 27th, 2014
Satusfied
Very competent & thorough

May 28th, 2014
Spinal Fusion
Conservative Approach, But ended up having spinal fusion, procedure was successful, pain is gone.

February 20th, 2014
Efficient, No B.S., wonderful support staff!
My experience with Dr. Benz was kind if a roller coaster ride. I had pain that was keeping me from having a normal life. He diagnosed, explained my plan if care and scheduled me for surgery. After months of suffering I feel like a new person. He didnt sugar coat the situation. He told me what he needed to do and what I needed to do and that I can go back to being a healthy 28 year old. His nurse and PA were fantastic and worked well together. No wait time at the orthopedic center. All of my questions answered directly without hesitation. As a nurse myself I appreciated the directness. If you need a cushy dr he is probably not for you.. But if you want an experienced surgeon he is your guy.. I'm post op 2 days and I can walk straight and no nerve pain at all in my right leg. I cried the first walk I toon with my dogs around the block. Thank you for giving me my life back dr. Benz.

January 16th, 2013
Two years pain free
Dr Benz did surgury on my lower back for spinal stenosis two years ago. Since then I have been pain free. I have my athletic lifestyle back again, I cant thank him enough!

July 18th, 2012
Great Doctor!
After months of seeing Drs. and chiropractors, my back problem was proberly diagnosed and treated. I can bent over to tie my shoes again!