Robert J Butler, MD
Video profile
394 E Yosemite Ave
Suite B
Merced, CA 95340
Locations and availability (3)

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by anonymous on Sep 4th, 2013

I have been seeing Dr. Butler for years and some of my family members see him also. I want to say that he is the best Dr around and I love all he does for me. He really does care about his patients. There were two incidents that happened and I'm not even sure he knows about them. I started having some financial difficulty and once I went in to see him the waiting room was full and the person who does billing called me to the front to tell me that I had a balance and I had to pay it if I wanted to see him. I told her that I could pay some but not all of it. She went somewhere and came back and told me that next time I came in I had to pay it all that that was the managers policy. I told her I was struggling and if I could set something up but she told me the same thing and didn't care. Everyone was looking at me and I felt overwhelmed and embarrassed and I ended up just leaving. I let some time go by and I finally went in again hoping I wouldn't be embarrassed again. When I got there after awhile the manager called me to the window and told me I had to pay my balance this time before being seen. I asked if I could pay some and make payments on the rest cause I didn't have a lot of money. She said if I didn't keep my payment arrangement that I could not see him. I felt judged and looked down on for not being able to pay and when I went to sit down the window wasn't closed all the way and I could here her talking about me to the same billing person but it wasn't things that should have been said. I never really said anything to the Dr because I felt ashamed and I know he's very busy but I really felt bad. I also don't want to make trouble because other family members see him. I love Dr. Butler he is amazing and I know he would never allow that to happen. He may not even know about it. I just hope the 2 people can treat people a little better. Everything else has been wonderful about him and all the years he has taken care of us. He even gave me his cell phone number and says to call him anytime if I need to. He's the best around.

Apr 24th, 2013

DR BUTLER, IS THE BEST DOCTOR TO HAVE, HE LISTENS TO YOU, NOT LIKE OTHER ONES THAT JUST SPEND 5 MINUTES IN THE ROOM. HIS STAFF IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!. THEY MAKE YOU FEEL WELCOME AND COMFORTABLE. WHEN YOU NEED AN APPOINTMENT YOU GET IN THE SAME DAY. YOU DO WAIT FOR A LITTLE BIT BUT ITS WORTH IT. I RECOMMENDED TO ALL MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY.

|  Dr. Butler and Staff  |  show details
by Torres on Apr 11th, 2013

I have been under the excellent care of Dr. Butler since he was working for and UrgentCare in Merced. I ended up there after a work injury and since then I have had the upmost respect for my doctor. He is a caring doctor who has met and exceeded all my expectations as a patient. Since then, I continued to follow him to his own practice and would never consider being treated my anyone else. Dr. Butler is very active in his patients care and gives you the time to listen to your concerns and is not quick to medicate you and move along to the next patients; such as many other doctors have done in my past. He perform complete examinations and always goes step by step leading you in to what is the best plan of care for you. He also takes the time to answer any questions so you leave his office knowing exactly what you need to understand and do. His staff is also very polite and courteous and I have begun referring my family and friends to his office. My mother recently went to him and she also stated that he was an excellent doctor and will continue her medical care with him. I was surprised to know that he was able to communicate with her in Spanish... We have found out how caring he is because he always follows up with you personally and you don't get that anymore. He's also accommodated time after business hours to see me if I need to and has avoided me trips to the emergency room. Therefore, I highly recommend Dr. Butler and am confident that you will find out that its the best choice you could have made for you and your loved ones. ~A special thanks to Dr. Butler for his dedication to his profession and being there in the difficult times in my medical care. You are a blessing!

Apr 8th, 2013

I have been a patient of Dr. Butler for several years. In my opinion he has a gift for soothing the human spirit, and caring for the patient like no other doctor I have been attended by. His dedication to medicine and ongoing studies, and his commitment to patients is evident in every visit. The time spent with each patient is absolutely neccessary to providing efficient care and diagnosis. I am very thankful that as well as providing care for me, Dr. Butler is also my husband's physician. Six years ago he performed a routine physical on my husband...he was in his office for over 2 hours and then was sent directly to a specialist that same afternoon. Two days later, after surgery to remove a 6" cancerous tumor, I thanked the surgeon...he took my hand and said "don't thank me...thank Dr. Butler, he just saved your husband's life." And I do...every night in my prayers.

by Ann on Apr 2nd, 2013

I heard from a friend that Dr. Butler was voted one of the top internists for the state of California. Also, that he has special expertise in stress management. Since, I have problems in these areas, I decided to go see him. It was the best decision I could of made. From the moment I met his staff to when Dr. Butler walked into the room, I was relaxed. Even though, he had a room full of patients waiting to see him, he took the time to get to know me. I was not treated like some number next in line. His knowledge, compassion, and caring as well as his professionalism is beyond compare. Thank Heaven for Dr. Butler!

|  Entertainer - Trick and Fancy Roper  |  show details
by Hilda Machado Brown on Mar 19th, 2013

I came to Dr. Butler's office many years ago when I was visiting my sister in Los Banos, California. I was born and raised in Los Banos, but was living in Nashville, Tenn. at the time. My sister had an appt. with Dr. Butler and since I was having terrible pain with my stomach after being out in Los Banos, for a week, I decided to go with her. She had told me that he was a knowledgeable and wonderful doctor. When I told him of my symptoms, he suggested when I get back to Nashville that I see my doctor there. Dr. Butler felt it could possibly be my "gallbladder". He was absolutely right. My doctor in Nashville found I had gallstones and my "gallbladder" was not functioning correctly. I had to have it taken out. Many years later, I have now returned to live in Los Banos and still continue to see Dr. Butler. He is knowledgeable, compasionate, and caring. When he is not sure of something, he always forwards me on to a specialist and keeps in contact with the specialist and myself. Thank-you Dr. Butler and your wonderful staff. Upon telling

|  Alarmist  |  show details
Jan 12th, 2012

This doctor jumps to conclusions which are not warranted. He seems to think he is on House. Diagnosing the worst case scenario when he is NOT a specialist. Get a second or third opinion before you take any of the steps he suggests!!!

Doctor's Response

This comment and rating was from a distraught family member of a patient whom I diagnosed with a very serious life-threatening illness. The angry family member responded very emotionally toward me for making the diagnosis "falsely," with "no compassion," and "prematurely." The offended family member wrote me a long angry letter with similar language and identical assertions. It turned out that my diagnosis was exactly correct, and the patient and the rest of the family apologized profusely for the angry communication from this person. As far as I was concerned, the anger was normal, or at least understandable for a close family member going through unimaginable shock and grief, especially since that person could not be there for my painful and difficult discussion with her loved one during which I had to reveal the frightening diagnosis. All was forgiven immediately in my mind and heart, though I just today (over a year later) realized that this had been posted. I hold no animosity toward that person. Although I wish I could reach out to them in a helpful way, I'm not sure if it will be possible. I am comforted, however, by the knowledge that because the diagnosis was made so quickly and accurately, the patient was able to be treated earlier, thus providing the best chance for a good outcome.

Oct 26th, 2011

I believe that doctors all have to make a choice that places them along a continuum that spans between honoring the schedule and honoring the patient's needs during each appointment. Dr. Butler is very clear about it. He is committed to giving each patient the time needed to accomplish what is necessary and best for that patient. When you drive into a town and find two restaurants...one with a long line waiting for a table, and the other with no line at all, then how difficult is it to decide which is the better restaurant? Dr. Butler is every bit worth waiting for. He is the most caring and compassionate doctor I have ever known. He treats all his patients as if they were his best friends. He is never too proud to say when he doesn't know an answer, but he always seems to either know the answers or where to find them. He is well respected in the medical field, and knows the best doctors in every specialty for referrals. I had been to several doctors, and none could figure out what was wrong with me. Doctor Butler had a strong sense of what was wrong with me during the first hour I spent with him. He ordered the right tests at the first visit, and I am so much better that I thank God for leading me to him.