Otolaryngologist (ear, nose, throat)
Video profile
Stanford University
300 Pasteur Dr
Stanford, CA 94305
650-723-5281
Locations and availability (3)

|  Look No Further  |  show details
by Brie on Nov 16th, 2013

I waited more than a year to write this. I had a Schwannoma and an incomplete surgery with a 'renound' neurosurgeon and an 8 year resident in an emergency situation in Los Angeles. My tumor was never diagnosed and I was told I was crazy (until I had to have an emergency surgery and four week stay at USC). This prior surgery left me in a quandry as I awoke in the ER ICU with my neurosurgeon stated that he left in around 40% of the tumor (no explanation on the surgical notes as to why that was but needless to say....stay away from USC because this neurosurgeon is on the acoustic board and he is nononnonon good). and would need to have another surgery or radiation to eradicate this tumor. Gee thanks is all I can think. I am still in a drug induced haze from the anesthesia as he dispenses this very discouraging news. I consulted with 8 top neurosurgeons, 2 neurotologists, and three radiation oncologists before deciding to entrust Dr. Jackler. My long and arduous road was due to not wanting ANY tumor left in my head regardless of outcome (cut nerves etc). I did change this position from my first surgery (since my tumor grew back around 25 % in a year (very very rare since I had a slow growing tumor). I did not want to wake up with ANY tumor left in the head and not one of many local 'famous' surgeons could offer this. The explanation is that they leave in a sheath to ensure no facial paralysis. Guess what: in all the research and meetings, this is a myth since most people that have this amount of tumor left, STILL have facial paralysis and now they also have a percentage of tumor to contend with the rest of their lives. I understand if you are old that this is probably not going to be a life long issue but for younger patients, you do not want this. Dr Jacklers' schedule is rather congested and I waited several months to to be seen and looked elsewhere in the meantime but it was not worth it. My mouth was half numb by this point and this doctor was the only one that understood my need for a speedy surgery. My first surgery was at stage four hydrocephalus (long term brain drain and more than three weeks in the ICU which almost caused me to get a shunt (my very worst nightmare!) Cut to a year later and a very long road of facial paralysis. I am not going to sugar coat that this was much worse than I anticipated (and I did anticipate this because I had a prior surgery and scar tissue plus new scar tissue from surgery) but I had faith that this was the best outcome and decision. I awoke to no tumor and so whatever will be....will be. It has been the longest and most difficult journey but Dr. Jackler has always been very attentive to my questions and took time to speak to me via phone about surgical options should I desire facial surgery to fix my paralysis. I did everything possible to recover from this horrible paralysis. I had rather severe paralysis (could not talk 6 months without holding my cheeks etc..) but I followed Dr Jacklers approach to healing which was be patient and go on with life and well over a year, I am seeing my 'normal' face return. Willl it ever be the same...no. Too much atrophy and time but I am pretty vein and I have to say that I can make a concession for almost as good as before and be ok with it. The conservative approach to healing is the best and I am likely to see around 85% recovery WITHOUT reanimation surgery. Some of these surgeries are ok but many are NOT. I went to a paralysis group in Los Angeles and the outcomes are mostly not (no offense). This is amazing and miraculous since I have seen people get one brain surgery and do butcher jobs on their face to achieve less than optimal results on fixing facial paralysis. I would very very very strongly recommend Dr. Jackler for anyone with an ear or related issue. I found him to be the most experienced, knowledgeable,and honest surgeon of ANY (and believe me when I said I talked to the best). I went to heads of neurosurgery and ent at: Cedars Sinai, UCLA, UCSF, Mass Gen, John Hopkins, Columbia, and into Canada and Asia). I went overboard but this is your brain and your face. Cut the chase and save the time I put in for you and at very least, consult this surgeon. I do want to note that you will be on your own after the surgery (for the most part). The only thing I believe that would have contributed to the best surgical experience would have been a prior meeting with a nurse to discuss all the scenarios that can occur. I had a cerebral leak but it corrected itself without surgery, I had a fat graft infection twice and had no idea where to fix it (emergency can only do soo much) so, anticipating things that can go wrong in such a major surgery would have greatly benefitted me and I am sure many others in this position. My scenario is different from those that live by their chosen surgeons. I do not regret for one minute my decision to travel and have have this surgery because if you do not live near competent surgeons for brain tumors, GO WHERE THEY ARE!

|  Fantastic physician!  |  show details
Nov 19th, 2009

Dr. Jackler is a pre-eminent neurosurgeon, specializing in tumors of the ear. He is brilliant and has the most wonderful, personable, caring manner of any specialist I have ever known.