Dr. Robert Kern MD Patient Reviews

• Otolaryngology Chicago, IL

• Good
  • Bad

September 2nd, 2014
Not a good experience - found help elsewhere
I went to Dr. Kern because I was having chronic sinus infections every three to four months. When I told him this, he seemed annoyed, as if this wasn't a big problem. He looked up my sinus with a scope very briefly and did it very abruptly and quickly. I'm not a baby about pain, but it wasn't comfortable. But more importantly, I felt like he discounted my health issues and acted as though I was wasting his time. Perhaps he wasn't the right person to see -- but he could have handled it much better and referred me elsewhere. I certainly wouldn't go back to see him again, given his manner and lack of caring. After talking with my primary care provider, I then opted to go to see an allergist instead, to try to get to the root of the problem. Dr. Kern could have easily suggested this, but did not. As it turns out, I have a strong dust mite allergy -- and all the suggestions and treatments the allergist (Dr. Carol Saltoun, also at Northwestern) has suggested have worked wonders. I have not had a sinus infection since I've seen her. As a busy working mother, this is a big deal to me, even if it wasn't an important matter to Dr. Kern.

June 27th, 2013
First day of the rest of my life
I met with Dr Kern 18m ago after referral by my Dr. I had polyps, deviated septum and had been breathing through my mouth for 25 years thanks to the blockages in my hooter. Dr Kern was straight, direct and did not push surgery on me. I left with an open option to retun with no strings. 18m later I plucked up courage to have the surgery. The surgery was 6 days ago. I was thrilled with the service from the whole team on the day. The recovery was what you'd expect after the various things done - uncomfortable but I chose the 'light' painkiller option over coedine which I was also prescribed. I went back to see Dr Kern this morning as part of the normal recovery timetable. He took the splints and mesh out of my nose - not fun but 5 minutes of discomfort managed with concern and compassion as my eyes watered ! So today feels like the first day of the rest of my life. I am breathing through my nose and it feels like 2 huge pipes. Amazing. I have no pain and I would do it all again tomorrow despite very recent recovery experience. Dr Kern is a pro - no small talk - straightforward no nonsense bedside manner - he took my wife aside before surgery to reassure her. I'm delighted with the results so far and highly recommend him.

September 1st, 2012
World Renown Otolaryngologist
Dr. Kern & his staff are absolutely amazing. He was recommended to me as a world renowned surgeon & the leader in his field. I was diagnosed with a Cholestrol Granuloma a year & a half ago. Dr. Kern recommend a newer endoscopic endonasal procedure to remove the Granuloma Tumors. Surgery was a huge success & feel back to my normal self again. I recently received a clean bill of health after a year of the surgery. I was blessed to have met such a phenomenal Doctor. Thank you Dr. Kern, Dr. Chandler & your staff for giving me an opportunity to have my normal life back.

February 22nd, 2011
the best
Answers your questions without you asking. Did a masterful job on my sinus surgery.

September 2nd, 2016