Internists

Annadale
4982 Hylan Blvd
Staten Island, NY 10312
718-966-9226
Locations and availability (2)

3.0

• Currently 3.047619047619 of 4 stars
 |  Dr Oz would not do this  |  show details
by Marie on Dec 9th, 2013

Just try call today for my dad nowhere to be found how could he do this,,,

|  So Sad, and such a shame  |  show details
Apr 24th, 2013

I do not see how any of these outstanding reviews posted can be accurate reviews when so many patients who were seen by Dr. Lapenna at his Hylan Boulevard office were extremely disappointed with the office service. His closest friends and office staff obviously make these glamorous reviews to offset the nasty ones. Dr. L obviously took on more than he could handle and, as such, his patients suffered. Over time, his office antics became much worse and his leaving without a trace was the absolute slap in the face to all his patients who put up with his office antics for years....we wait for hours in the waiting room, then more time in the examining room.... Despite his capability as an MD when he actually treated you, he fell quite short when he felt the need to keep secret his intentions to sell his practice to Victory Internal Medicine thereby abandoning his patients. He has NO hospital affiliations and would NEVER treat his patients if they were in hospital. He obviously could not and maybe can never be trusted because he never trusted his patients enough to tell them the truth of his intentions. I was his patient for nearly 10 years and I was one of the stupid ones who put up with his office antics. As for me, I relied on him for my care and he left me for dead. Although I would NEVER recommend him for these reasons, I cannot discount the fact that he was a good or capable MD when he was actually around. However, from reading a previous post, it looks like he couldn't handle the change he made and up and left a surgical patient for dead as well. I do hope that, going forward, he finds the courage to do the right thing by either leaving the medical practice altogether, thereby doing everyone a favor, or get back to business and step up to the plate and care for his patients the way he used to.

|  Love my doc  |  show details
by Marie on Apr 21st, 2013

Dr Lapenna is an excellent physician .. If your looking for a caring dr on Staten Island he is the one

|  Excellent Doctor  |  show details
Apr 17th, 2013

I have been a native Staten Islander forever and have been searching for the right internist. I found Dr. LaPenna and I couldn't have been happier. He took the time to listen about all my medical needs. So hard to find these days.

Nov 2nd, 2012

I rarely ever waited less than 3 1/2 hrs to be seen. And that's just in the waiting room. Then in the examining room, it could be anywhere from 20 mins to 45 mins until he walks in. I personally like him as a Dr. The only complaint I have at this point now is he moved and no one can contact him to make an appt. or refill their meds, which is important. I had gone into the office where I heard he had moved his practice to, but the woman at the front desk told me it didn't work out for him so he's not there anymore. (he was only there a week) She told me someone from his office would be stopping in that day to return the key to the office. She took my message (and I saw her write the message down) "Patient having surgery needs her meds please call". So far, it's been 2 or 3 weeks and no one has called me. I'm finding a new doctor.

|  A VERY EXPERIENCED THOROUGH DOCTOR  |  show details
Oct 24th, 2012

I AND MY HUSBAND HAVE BEEN WITH DR. ROBERT LAPENNA FOR MANY YEARS SINCE THE BEGINNING AND I WOULD RECOMMEND HIM TO ANYONE THAT NEEDS A FRIMARY DOCTOR OR INTERNIST. WHEN SYPMPTOMS ARISE HE JUMPS ON SOLVING THE PROBLEM AND RULING THINGS OUT. THIS IS WHAT WE LIKE ABOUT HIM THAT HE IS NOT LAPSEED. MAUCERI FAMILY

|  the braswells  |  show details
Oct 23rd, 2012

he's the best!

|  wouldn't leave this Dr for anyone.  |  show details
Oct 20th, 2012

wow,I can't believe how quickly people can turn on a Dr who has been caring for them for so many years, My entire family has been cared for by Dr lapenna for many years and i will admitt there are times that the wait may be long, but alot of that is due to Dr lapenna spending time with each person.He does not run in and out of each room . he listens and checks out every person. as for the staff, I really don't know where the problem is coming from. Each and every single person that i've ever dealt with there has been kind and sweet.I've been called back and have had them do what ever was needed to help us when we needed. maybe the patients should check how they are speaking to the staff that gets them such a negative response. I have Family in P.A. that still travel here to be helped by Dr lapenna. In the past 10 years my family and i have battled alot of illness, and thanks to Dr lapenna and staff we are doing well. so those of you who are unhappy , then go somewhere else, and i'll be waiting to see what your complaint's are about your new dr's offices. Deborah Delgado

|  So sad what is going on with Dr. Lapenna and this office  |  show details
Oct 14th, 2012

I would like to start by saying that if 99% of Dr. Lapenna's patients have the same experiences relating to the office (MD & staff) which most of us usually discuss while sitting and waiting to see him, REST ASSURED that when you see "that one LONE REVIEW" that goes above and beyond the call of duty to blast the previous negative reviewers for speaking the TRUTH, just know that the entry most likely originated from the disgruntled worker whose name was negatively mentioned.I have been a patient for over 15 years. In that time, I have seen a lot of changes (mostly for the worse). The wait is beyond horrible, but if you are not someone who needs him on a weekly basis, the wait is worth the time he gives you when you are actually seen.The problem is that if you are very sick and need to talk to him or have a question that CAN avoid a trip to the ER, he will NEVER be available to you. He has no hospital affiliations. He does not return any calls, either to the patient or another health care provider or hospital. In my case, I was seen by him on a Monday, ended up in the hopsital on a Wendesday, and his phone service operator told the hospital to have me seen by the "hospitalist" (whatever that meant). Being a physician is about caring for each and every patient as if they were the last and most important. I do believe Dr. Lapenna does this when he is with you, I just wish he would follow through on the care when he is away from you. My first hand experiences of this are simply FACT. What is also a FACT is that Dr. Lapenna staff and phone service operators run interference between him and the patient. I am sad to say that although Dr. Lapenna is a nice guy and knows what he is doing, UNFORTUNATELY, THE STAFF makes a huge difference in whether or not a patient is satisfied. There is nothing nastier than a disgruntled office worker taking her bad day out on everyone...most of whom do NOT deserve he bad day. Also, his office has reently moved to a new location. Another negative FACT, is that I have called his office at least 12 times in the past 3 weeks to follow up on my hospitalization and even try to make an appointment to see him...yet each time I called, his phone service answered..and they come up with several different excuses...the office is closed at 12:00 on Tuesday, will reopen at 4pm on Thursday... no matter how many messages I have left, to date, he or his staff NEVER returned my calls - this is a FACT. One final note...following my hopsitalization and the care I received from the "hospitalist", I found another internist whose credentials and affiliations far exceed that of Dr. Lapenna. There are many doctors on Staten Island that have hospital affiliations (where you won't be left for dead). If you can go online to complain, you can go online to search for them... Happy hunting and God Bless...

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
Oct 9th, 2012

My fsmily and I have been going to Dr. Lapenna for over 15 years. I am extremely happy with knowledge of patient care and expertise in diagnosis. The old,and so called crabby staff has always been wonderful to all of us. Maybe the writer of Sept 11, 2012 comments should be more understanding of the pressure on the staff of a very busy practice and possibly be less opinionated and more compassionate. Losing such patients would not be much of a loss since it would seem that you are just a few droplets of water in an already overflowing bucket. Good luck I will stick with the good Doc.

|  HUGE WAIT, MISERABLE STAFF and DRUG REPS COME BEFORE PATIENTS!!  |  show details
Sep 11th, 2012

I feel bad for Dr. Lapenna because he is a good doctor and nice guy but his staff is the worst! I can't emphasize this enough, so again THE WORST! If you like to be treated like crap by the MISERABLE, OLD and CRABBY receptionists then this is the place for you. If you like to spend 2 to 3 hours in a waiting room listening to the MISERABLE, OLD receptionists then this place is for you.If you like to see drug rep after drug rep meet with Dr. Lapenna before he sees the patients waiting for hours, this place is for you.No respect given to the patients. Me and my family will be finding someone new. They'll be moving empty handed because I hear complaint after complaint from everyone I know that sees him.But like I said, he is a good doctor so unless things change dramatically me and mine are gone.

|  Dr. LaPenna is a busy man but I am glad I could get in to see him  |  show details
Jul 12th, 2012

He sees a lot of people and I often hear people grumbling in the waiting room. But everyone in his office is always real busy and there is so much paperwork to do. I felt lucky that I could get in to see Dr. LaPenna. I had some health problems. I had been to several places. But I could not get the help I needed. It was only Dr. LaPenna who figured it out quickly...and now I am on the road to recovery. I don't know what would have happened to me if I couldn't get to see him. He saved my life. I looked at some of the other comments here. I don't understand why there are some negative comments. I think people just like to complain and blame and complain and blame. But from what I saw and experienced, everyone in the office was doing the best they could. Medicare don't pay much so it is hard for offices to spend a long time with patients. But that ain't Dr. LaPenna's fault. He spent plenty of time with me. He is one smart man. I am so happy and grateful that he helped me.

|  Don't use this Doctor  |  show details
May 31st, 2011

LaPenna's staff is horrible, no compassion, nasty and the head nurse Doreen is extremely difficult to deal with.The wait is two hours, one hour is waiting room and another hour in the exaime room...for a 10min. visit... run for the hills!

|  Assembly Line  |  show details
Mar 11th, 2010

UNPROFESSIONAL RUDE staff. Wait times are UNACCEPTABLE. They triple book appointments. Don't allow yourself to be treated like this there are other Doctors out there.

Oct 1st, 2009

I have been a patient of Dr. Lapenna for 2o years and find over the last few years his service has declined tremendousely. He seems to be burnt out and overwhelmed which I feel he has been taking it out on his patients. His office staff as well as his office manager(Mrs. Lapenna) are very unprofessional and argumentative. Myself and many members of my family are patients and feel the same way. Unfortunately we have decided to discontinue further treatment with Dr. Lapenna.

by Joseph E Lambertson on Jan 18th, 2009

I have been going to Dr Lapenna for 15 years. He is an excellent doctor. He spends as much time as needed with me and diagnoses whatever it is accurately. I'm almost inclined to want to keep him a secret so that his office doesn't become overcrowded.

|  Caring Doctor  |  show details
Jun 23rd, 2008

I have been a patient of Dr. Lapenna's for a long time and I find that he is caring, understanding, takes my concerns seriously and follows up. Sometimes there is a long wait in the office but it is worth it. Highly recommend him to any one seeking a good general practitioner.

|  Best Doctor  |  show details
by Citysearch User on Nov 4th, 2005 on insiderpages.com

He is my primary care doctor and my whole family as well. He is extremely knowledgeable, I feel very comfortable with him. His staff is the ...

Read Full Review at insiderpages.com