Dr. Robert Lewen MD Patient Reviews

October 10th, 2016
Great retina specialist

August 27th, 2016
He is a great doctor
I had a detached retina and he resolved it and I was able to work out the next day. It was fantastic.

December 3rd, 2015
Dr.Lewen is a wonderful doctor. I take my 84 year old mother in law to see him every three months. He is always kind and explains everything that he is doing. She loves him and trusts him completely.

June 19th, 2015
Excellent Doctor
Couldn't ask for a more caring doctor. Spends time explaining the issues and treatment options. He has saved my vision

April 26th, 2015
Extremely positive experience. Concise explanations, excellent support personnel with very positive interpersonal skills.

February 10th, 2015
He is not a monster
Unfortunately, people usually only bother to write comments when something isn't to their liking. Having read commentary of former patients before my wife's appointment today, I was fearful of who or what was going to walk into that exam room. We were greeted with all of the pleasantry that was necessary and he went straight to his work. He seems to be a very focused and somewhat intense individual and, yes, not the type I would label as warm and fuzzy but committed to helping his patient. For my taste, I'd rather skip the sugar coating and have a doctor who was direct and skilled at their craft. I think that is who I met today.

January 14th, 2015
Outstanding demeanor and communication
Very good communicator, put me at ease considering the seriousness of my situation. Knew what he was doing and was highly recommended. I was fortunate to have him do my procedure under urgent circumstances. Prompt and thorough follow up.

September 12th, 2014
horrible
don't ask questions, as he's very defensive. Direct, rude, in and out , little time spent. Very annoyed with any questions.

August 5th, 2014
Horrid
Before this man touches your eyes, research everything he says and verify with facts. Get second opinion. He was extremely rude to my mother and was very hostile to any questions when asked to explain specific aspects. He chomped on candy or gum the whole time during the visit and would state pertinent information as we were walking out the door, ending the visit. We had to stop twice to get the information written down correctly. He doesn't seem to know what was going on and when questioned, he got hostile. If you express any concern or emotion, he treats you like you have no brain and will insult. He "missed" vital risk factors that were never expressed to us before the procedure was done, thus resulting in extremely dangerous results. If you have complications, go to the ER for more rapid response--and second opinion as to next step. Do NOT go in alone to any office visits with Dr Lewen, especially if you are hurting or confused. Be your own best advocate.

June 20th, 2014
Patient
Dr. Lewen is a charismatic and inviting physician with excellent skills as a retinal surgeon, but tends to take poor notes as to what transpired on previous visits, thus causing conflict and stress on subsequent visits. I've had several procedures done by Dr. Lewen, but on the last visit to his office, his approach and disposition was horrific and most unexpected.

March 11th, 2014
Retina detached, eyesight restored
Due to blotched up laser eye surgery from another doctor. I woke up one morning blind in one eye. The retina had become detached. I was able to make an appt in Pittsburgh the next day with Dr. Lewen. He performed surgery at Allegheny Hospital. He explained in detail the recuperation procedure. I would highly recommend this doctor.