Dr. Robert Mcmullen MD Patient Reviews

• Psychiatry New York, NY

• Good
  • Bad

April 13th, 2016
I can't believe how highly rated this guy is. He will have you on everything but roller-skates. He doesn't even look you in the eye while speaking with you. He was once offering flu shots in the office and I thought "OK, 2 birds..." He handed the needle to his SECRETARY and walked out...let that sink in...his freakin secretary. She called him back to the waiting room, where he gave me the shot! This guys is the quackiest of quacks and def on the autism spec.

November 11th, 2015
NYC Top Doc
Dr. McMullen is an excellent pharmacologist and is absolutely tops and understanding side effects and interactions between drugs. He will suggest adding some new vitamins and supplements as well as drugs for treatment. Staff seems a little curt ay first but they will warm up.

July 13th, 2015
Due to Dr. McMullen I am feeling less depressed, have less pain in my hip and back and stopped drinking. When I first went to see him, he came up with a way for me to stop drinking he listened to me and realized what needed to be done and just convinced me now is the time, it worked. I also suffer from depression due to a very stressful life. With his help and TMS treatments I feel more hopeful, sometimes I actually feel good and can smile. One day I went to an appointment with very bad pain in my back and hip. He tried a TMS treatment for the pain (we weren't sure it would work but I wanted to try it) although I didn't feel relief right away, that night the pain was gone. It amazed me because for the past week my body had been in so much pain that I felt twisted. I believe the TMS worked for the pain or at least helped tremendously. I highly recommend him as a Psychiatrist because he does listen to you and comes up with treatment options that have improved the quality of my life.

April 20th, 2015
Determined Physician
Through his belief and compassion, this skilled physician helped me realize the person I sought to be. He has an urgency for you to operate at your optimal performance now, not tomorrow.

March 20th, 2015
Dr. McMullen is a superlative psychiatrist, and he combines it with such empathy and humanity. I had been to numerous previous psychiatrists with very little improvement, as my BiPolar was (previously) treatment resistant. My life has transformed from unbearable to constantly stable, with only occasional very few mostly mild and very brief downticks. Dr. McMullen is one of the few elite doctors I am aware of who constantly keeps abreast of ALL current research and new modalities. My major breakthrough came with Dr. McMullen implementing TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) into my treatment, of which he is one of the very few practitioners who offer this non-invasive, under-promoted miracle. (I do not usually like the term "miracle", as it is overused usually sounds cheesy. This is one of the few times I will use it, as here it truly applies.) My teenage son also manifested BiPolar less than 2 years ago. He was constantly suicidal. Immediately after his 3rd inpatient stay, they released him because he went from "actively suicidal with a plan", to "only" constantly passively suicidal”. This timing coincided with the completion of my course of TMS treatments. After my own success with TMS, and my fear of my son's constant suicidal ideation, I sent him immediately for TMS is well. It is over a year now, and he still is incredulous that he is now almost always actually happy! Suicidality rarely if ever rears its ugly head with him now, and even those few times, only mildly and briefly. I cannot recommend Dr. McMullen, and TMS as well, highly enough!

October 27th, 2014
Patient for 14 years
Dr. McMullen treated my mother for depression for 20+ years, Kind and emphatic. When she passed away, he began treating me for very mild depression. Have been going to him ever since, and although I really don't need an antidepressant, he keeps me on it so that I don't fall into anything given the history in my family. He also watches my blood pressure and other things in keeping with my general health, I trust him implicitly as he has also helped another family member, He is kind and compassionate and I consider him to be a friend as well as my physician.

October 3rd, 2014
He is callous towards his patients
He is callous towards his patients. Only money is what counts from his patients. Keeps typing almost entire session and thus spends little on the actual problem of your visits. Spend with him several years. He over prescribes medication like others have already mentioned here. The reason why some people praise him is because his style of practice is very impressive. He is always polite, his office has 1-2 assistants at least. Prescriptions are electronically printed out, etc. A lot of show. TMS machine is another money squeezer in his office.

September 15th, 2014
Saved my life
Nothing more horrifying than a sudden, deblitating and unknown illness making you question everything. Dr. McMullen saw me quickly, prescribed the right remedies and much to my shock, I was better in less than 2 months, as his capable staff just about predicted. Wow...it still amazes me to this day.

August 11th, 2014
Compassionate Psychiatrist
Dr. McMullen is an excellent doctor; he is a rare combination of being both a knowledgeable physician and an empathic clinician. He is gifted at recognizing underlying medical/biochemical pathology, but really shines at identifying correlations between biological factors and psychosocial/behavioral manifestations. Most importantly, he is perhaps one of the most compassionate and least judgmental psychiatric professionals. Any shame or stigma associated with conceding you need some help to function or live to your full potential will be immediately nullified. I highly recommend Dr. McMullen.

September 7th, 2011
The Best of the Best for Me
After being a patient of some of the world's most prominent psychiatrists who all made a small contribution but all erred in a diagnosis,it was Dr McMullen at my first visit who disgnosed "panic attacks" and cured my malady of acute insomnia. His subsequent treatments opf other problems were always correct. Of the many persons I sent to him, he cured all in what I must say was amazing facility. My son-in-law had been in treatment with another well known psychiatrist for 25 years and who never diagnosed the bipolar illness from which he suffered.I have neveer heard anything except that he is a genius at analysis and pharmaology. The lines of patients waiting for him are an indication of his reputation and ability.

June 22nd, 2011
Forget it, find another dr
If you need help, go elsewhere.

June 6th, 2011
didifficult doctor
he is expert in medications, but he likes charging very high fees, wants your money and not your health. Always cuts you off in the middle of sentence if you go beyound "your time". If you have a bag of money then he is the choice.